2000 Twin Reverb RI - Constant Static V4 issue

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by msl5078, Feb 3, 2015.

1. msl5078

msl5078 Supporting Member

I have a 2000 Fender Twin Reverb, and am having some trouble with the reverb part of the amp. The amp is producing a constant static, and when the reverb knob is turned up the static volume increases.

So far I have tried the following:

* I tested the power tubes using a tube tester and found all power tubes to be within spec.

* I pulled the phase inverter, and had no noise.

* I removed each preamp tube individually, until I pulled V4 and the noise went away.

* I than tapped on V4 with a pencil, and discovered it was microphonic, so I removed and replaced the tube with a 12AT7 I had that I knew was good. The noise still was there.

*I removed V4 and played the amp through the normal channel and no static was present.

*I used the footswitch to turn the reverb channel on/off, the static was still present no matter if the reverb was on or not.

* I than took my pencil to the inside of the amp, and got noise when pins 6 and 7 were touched. I also noticed some oxide buildup on the power tubes and took care of that while I was there. I cleaned up the solder on the pins on V4 and when the amp turned on the static was still there. Pins 6 and 7 still make noise, maybe the circuit board connection needs cleaned up? Also several of the pins were moving, so I am in the middle of re-tensioning the tube sockets.

* I than thought maybe the RCA cable might be bad, so I unplugged the RCA cable from the chassis. Static noise still there.

I'm not sure what else it could be? Please Help!

2. msl5078

I would like to add when the reverb is turned on the amp produces a hum in addition to the static.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I *think* you've nailed it down to the vicinity of V4. And I *think* what you are describing is a bad solder joint or loose tube socket contact.

4. msl5078

I used a sine wave generator and went through the circuit using fenders Test points and think I've narrowed the problem down to a combination of a bad preamp tube in V4 and also a bad socket. While I could do the repair myself, I'm taking it to a tech to take a look at it. I just don't have the time to keep messing with it at this point. So we will see what happens.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

That's too bad, because I think you've got it. Now I've repaired one of these amplifiers and its a beast of a job to get to all the components with that PCB and all the spade connectors. I suspect this is what you're finding daunting.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Replace the plate resistor and the cathode bypass cap.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yep, a lot of work that could end up breaking something else (cheap connectors) in the process. And if the first component change doesn't fix it...take it apart again.