2001 Les Paul Standard:Burstbuckers or Classic 57's?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by johnspierce, Aug 21, 2005.

1. johnspierce

johnspierce Member

Would a 2001 Les Paul Standard have Burstbuckers or Classic 57's in it?

Does anyone know the first year Standards had Burstbuckers?

thanks!
    John

2. DRAGON523

DRAGON523 Member

In 2001, I'm pretty sure they would have come with the 490R/498T. I think the first year for burstbuckers in Standards was '02.

jhuse and Ren007 like this.
  3. Rich

Rich Member

I don't think production Standards ever had '57 Classics in them.
    They had the 490/498s before the BBs were introduced.
    I believe the 490s were used in 2001, with the BBs coming in sometime in '02.

Ren007 likes this.
  4. johnspierce

johnspierce Member

Thanks for the answers guys, that helps a lot!

I've played enough Les Pauls recently which pretty much has me totally confused and indecisive over which model I like the best. I was looking at a 2001 and a 2000 Standard and now know they have the same pickups.

I went down to good 'ol GC played every single Paul they had and I'm leaning toward the Historic Gold Top's sound which I guess is the un-potted Burstbuckers. However, I really like the Standard's sound too. I would assume if the older Standards had 490/498's in them, they will sound fairly identical to a current Studio model.

thanks!

John

5. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Don't get the 57 Reissue (Goldtop), it will start a sickness that you cannot stop...:dude

but seriously is the goldtop definitly a Historic (57 Reissue) or a Les Paul Classic? The Historic runs around $2100 new and not much cheaper used (there are a few in the emporum right now).

6. Rich

Rich Member

John

FWIW and to make you more nuts, I thought the BBs put in Historics at the factory were potted (or some were potted in some years or in some guitars or dammit Gibson...!!!) and the ones they sold aftermarket definitely were not.

In the end, you know that what the guitar sounds like is the totality of its parts. So dont necessarily get hung up on which pups. You may find that in another exact same model guitar, the tone is materially different because of the particular pieces of wood used and then the wood's interplay with the pups. Just strum 2 "exacts" acoustically-- you'll hear what I mean about the wood.

If you find something you love to hear and play, and you can swing the $$, you ought to consider buying it. The quest can and does drive folks crazy. :eek:

Hansje likes this.
  7. johnspierce

johnspierce Member

Yeah, the historic Goldtop I'm looking at is a 2004 model for $1800 - more than I want to pay, but it really plays sweet. The Burstbucker Pro's in the Standards sound really good too and it's not too hard to find one for around 1400-1500 in excellent to mint condition.

Decisions, decisions (and money...)

JP

8. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Cool, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a Classic mistaken as a Historic.

FWIW, I have had 2 Standards and they are great guitars, but I would pay the extra $300 to $400 for an R7 without a doubt. It could be many things like the longer neck tenon or the non-weight relieved body on the Historic but it sounds bigger and more lively to me. If you like the larger neck profile, I think it is a no-brainer.

9. whitehall

whitehall Member

The BB's came out in mid 02 along with a total retool of the standard. An easy way to tell without pulling a pup is to look at the overall guitar. The Gibson production line did not change over on a specific day. Telltale signs of pre retool include chrome hardware instead of nickel, speed knobs, and chrome tuners. Also no maple sliver in the pocket.

BADHAK likes this.
  10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I own an 01 standard that I am totally in love with, however I immediately changed the pickups and got rid of the 490 whatever the hell they are. They sounded like ass and I ended up getting a great deal on some antiquities and I'm more than happy with it. It is a really strange guitar, nice neck shape, heavy as hell (about 13lbs.) and a really great maple top, gorgeous looks and tone.

11. Rich

Rich Member

Just imagine how much it would have weighed if Gibson hadn't drilled "weight relief holes" in it.

Yeowwwwwwww:eek: ;)

BADHAK likes this.
  12. Nigel

Nigel Guest

I don't think they started with the weight relief holes until the '02 revisions.

13. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I thought I saw some pics posted that showed that the weight relief hole thing had been going on for a long time. Not that it matters, standards are great guitars.

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

I own an '01 Standard Plus, which originally came with a 490R and a 498T. I never got to hear the guitar with the stock pickups because I had Burstbuckers 2 and 3 installed before it was shipped to me. Weight relief holes, neck tenons, etc have not prevented this guitar from sounding the way it's supposed to. I haven't noticed any difference in sustain/resonance/woodiness when compared to my '05 Historic.

For hard rock, the bridge pickup produces an amazing, resonant grind. And the jazzy/bluesy sound of the neck pickup when clean is one of my favorite tones on all my guitars.

Perhaps it's just because I got a great Standard, but I think it's a terrific guitar (though it came with its fair share of QC issues which had to be dealt with, but every guitar I've bought in the last 5 years has had something wrong with it). I guess I'd have to say I'm on the fence about whether to recommend the Historic above the Standard. If you know you're going to swap the pickups, it might be cheaper to just buy a used R7.

15. SFW

SFW Member

I have an '01 Classic that just kills. I would put it up to a Standard in terms of quality and playability. The fit and finish were all like it was supposed to be. I swapped the pickups on the guitar several times- depending on what I’m in the mood for, but still have the original ones. I actually like the stock pups… just wanted something new. At the moment, I have the guitar loaded with a DiMarzio ToneZone and an Air Norton in the neck. This combo works great for my current amp setup and music style. It is very fat and the lead tones are very smooth.

I personally don’t care for the BBs. I just don’t like the tone of them at all. But that’s just personal taste. I think that too many people over look the Les Paul Classic. They are solidly built Lesters without the fancy tops. Here’s a pic of mine.
    [​IMG]

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I had a Gibson Les Paul Standard with a 2001 Serial Number, but the "new" 2002 specs. It's very confusing, but confirmed by Gibson.

The color was bullion gold, which they discontinued for a while in 2002. However, the headstock was smaller, the hardware was nickel, the tuners were the green platic type, the pickups were BurstBucker V's (which they changed to calling BurstBucker Pros) and the neck profile was '50s.

I mean, it was a 2002 model with a discontinued paint job and a 2001 serial number. I've seen another one on eBay with the exact same specs, except it had a '60s neck.

17. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Didn't they start that way back in the '70s or something?

18. Rich

Rich Member

Nah. Back in the 70's they were drilling holes but then filling them with lead or something. "More is More" was the mantra at the time. You know, thing couldn't be expected to sustain unless it weighed a ton. I think thats when they invented the 15 lb. LP Custom. :eek:

Im not sure how far back the drilling actually went, but I know it was pre-2002. And if any of you guys havent seen the swiss cheese aprroach, you're in for a treat. Saw some pics on the LPF a while back. Bizarre.

19. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

20. stryker59

stryker59 Supporting Member

The Swiss cheese weight relief method started back in the early eighties if my memory serves correct.