2001 Mim Fender strat pup any good?

ken374

I might buy a used one, had one b4 but switched out the pup because I wanted a humbucker, now with my Vox I want a single coil pickups to play around with, so I wonder are these good enough or should I up grade it. I am pretty picky when it comes to tone, what can I cay lol! 2001 strat,s/s/s config. thanks

guitarz1972

Matter of taste of course, but I think just stock American strat pups are probably a step-up, let alone any of the usual boutique after market varieties. That said I think Mexi's sound ok; give it a good test drive with your rig and see for yourself.

joeburke

Probably has ceramic magnets. You should be able to find something alnico for cheap too. Try angela.com. They have misfit fender parts and you can probably find a pup from a classic series fender.

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
The question lacks enough info. There's several models of MIM Strat and they have different pickups, including a couple of Custom Shop offerings. If it's your basic MIM Standard, they come stock with ceramic magnet pickups, which aren't likely to be very satisfying.

sonic_777111

I find the pups in mine are a bit drecky. Maybe I'll try raising them...they sound a little too low to the body.

connorreeves

my MiM's stock pups were a tad too thin for my taste, and the bridge pickup was quite ice-picky. I have a American Standard Alnico V pup in one of my other guitars and by comparison it's a much nicer pickup, and very cheap ($25 on ebay)

ken374

I bought a set of vintage noiseless used for under 90 bucks, putting them in Tuesday and I hope I like it:)

DaGlenster

I replaced mine with Duncan antiquities and there was very little difference that I noticed, but it did sound smoother(for lack of a better word). I also replaced the trem block with a full size one, not a big change in sound, but it feels better. MIM's are pretty decent strats for the money. I'm happy with the changes I made, but I could have lived with it stock.

Nico.

I don't like the majority of Fender pickups I must say...
I prefer for strats BKP or Frallin pickups as a big step up in sound quality

ken374

guitar sounds a lot better on the clean side of my vox, bridge pup on the hot channel still is a bit trebley. has to see how it is when cranked, is better then stock for sure.

DonP

I have two stock MIM strats - a 96 and an 08.

I do like the MIM pickups in the 08. Did they improve things from 96?

ken374

do strat players with single coils use the bridge pup alot? I like the notch right before on the clean tone, sounds real good. The noiseless writing dont have any color on it, its not silver or anything are these older?

Last edited:

ken374

I should of researched more, I looked at the GC web site first and it got good reviews

Trending Topics