2001 PRS case latches broken

Benjam226

I have an '01 PRS McCarty Left-handed guitar with its original case. It has a standard latch in the center, and both outside latches are spring-loaded. About 5 years ago, the bottom latch went out (refused to close), but I could get by with just two latches.

Now the other spring-loaded latch has stopped catching, so I only have the center latch that works now, and it's not enough for me to comfortably transport the guitar without fear of the case coming open.

Is there a simple fix for this, or will I just need to get a new case from PRS (~$200)?

ef_in_fla

Duct tape. JK.

I would probably put the busted case away in case I ever wanted to sell it, and get me a new, non-PRS replacement case.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Look for a luggage repair shop. I once had one put a new handle on a Les Paul case. They did a fantastic job and were inexpensive too. It might be a shoe/luggage repair, but you should be able to find one.

sixty2strat

Look for a luggage repair shop. I once had one put a new handle on a Les Paul case. They did a fantastic job and were inexpensive too. It might be a shoe/luggage repair, but you should be able to find one.
Same here. Had a case handle replaced by a shoe repair guy, under 20 bucks took 3 or 4 days and you can't tell it was repaired. Guy said he does it all the time.

blaster

One of my latches were broken and I had a local repair guy (luggage) fix it for $18.

JMC

for a $3,000 guitar? uh, no.
The first time I visited the PRS factory, Paul Reed Smith himself was carrying around his personal Dragon I in a PRS gig bag... I figured if it's good enough for him... I bought three of them and have been using them for almost 15 years now. Hard cases stay in boxes in the attic. Guitars are on hanger in my office, gig bags in the office closet.

Benjam226

My guitars get tossed around entirely too much (backs of trucks/trailors, etc). Taking the time to make sure they are always somewhere where nothing could crush it makes load-in/load-out more time consuming.

Trending Topics