2004 Gibson firebid worth more now tehn when new???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samdjr74, Sep 18, 2005.

1. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Hi all,

Yesterday I stopped by the local GC to pick up some strings. While waiting to get rung up I noticed they had 2 2004 Gibson Firebird 7's in copper metallic. The exact same model and color I own except mines a 2002. Any way I paid $1300 for mine brand new in 2002/2003. The 2 in GC are marked as used and selling for $2499. Does this make any sense, have they gone up some much in such little time? I know the color is discontinued but that just seems nuts, any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

First off, GC would sell turds for $5000 if they could get away with it, the GC business model is derived from the following statements:

"There's a sucker born every minute!" - PT Barnum

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people." - PT Barnum

Secondly, there's a little known dirty secret happening in Amerika over the last couple of years - In an attempt to manipulate economic numbers, the CPI (Consumer Price Index) has been artificially suppressed for political gain, while assets have been undergoing hyper-inflation, and yes high-end guitars are now part of the asset class.

;)

3. samdjr74

Hi Gary,

Yeah you're probably right, I was just shocked to see a $1000 increase in only 2 years or so.

Thanks,
    Sam

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Keep in mind that regular production Firebird 5s and 7s still sell for street <$1500., and custom shop models sell for around $2500. They are virtually indistinguishable from one another, with only the case and COA marking any visible difference. And unlike Les Pauls, with a major construction upgrade (long neck tenon) in their build, Firebirds all (I surmise) feature neck- through construction, which tends to make me wonder what advantage the CS model has in this model anyway. So while the GC stock may indeed be CS models, I doubt they'd sound noticably different from yours. Love that sound.

5. samdjr74

That was the first thing I checked to see if they were custom shop models but they were not, they were regular production models like mine. I heard that the CS models have a better build quaility, everything else is the same. I don't see any major flaws with mine so I can't complain about the build quality on it. But no these were two regular production models, not CS models, strange.

6. gregc

gregc Member

The CS model has a much fatter neck and the body lines/cuts are more period correct. I owned one of each. The CS model hangs much better when you strap it on. It's comfy and the neck does not feel so far away as the std issue model does. I sold the standard model (though it was a fine guitar) as soon as the CS one got in my hands. Worth the extra $$$.
    gregc

7. samdjr74

Hi Greg,

Yeah the neck does seem to go forever on the standard model but still comfy. The CS is up there in price, about twice the amount for the stanard?

Sam

8. gregc

gregc Member

When I bougt mine the diff was a few hun'red. I believe they've gone 'bonkers' since then. Gibson pricing seems to be a roll of the dice at times.......
    gregc

9. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I made my Firebird's neck feel closer by relocating the strap button from the heel to the upper bass bout. Made a lot of difference.

Got mine used, so I can't really contribute much to the discussion other than that. When I was pricing new ones last year, they were all about $1500, so probably not CS.

--chiba