2005 MIM Standard Tele neck pickup height screws?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dougb415, Mar 5, 2006.

1. dougb415

dougb415 Member

My wife bought a new pickguard for my Tele, so I decided to be Mr DIY and swap 'em out.... until one of the neck pickup height adjustment screws slipped out of my BIG CLUMSY HANDS.

Augh! :jo

Now my dilemma is, I can't find replacement screws! Even the ones that I ordered from Stew-Mac were too big. I'm really wanting to play the Tele again. Does anyone know where to get these screws? I still have the other screw and the tubing - I just need one screw.

Would a hardware store have something similar, or are these specialized? This pickup mounts onto the pickguard, not the body of the guitar.

2. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

You could try taking the other one to Ace and see if you can match it out of their drawers of "specialty screws" . While you're there , see if they have one of those "magnet-on-a-stick" things for next time . I "found" the little clip off a bridge intonation screw with mine on a dark blue medium-height rug . :p Another one I made for the yard is a heavy-pull magnet taped on the end of an old fishing rod . Always put a brass key on a steel ring . ;)

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

If you can't find one at the hardware store.WD Music Products have lots of hardware.

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Thanks, but I couldn't find then there either. It's very puzzling as to why it's so hard to find a part that should be available practically anywhere!

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Re-tap the pickup for 4/40's (the Stewmacs?) or drill out the threads and epoxy a nut on the back side .
    A cool hardware guy may even let you "borrow" a tap in the aisle , so to speak . ;)

6. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

7. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Thanks, but the WD site does not mention the size of the height adjustment screw. I really can't be any more specific than "the pickup height adjustment screws found in 2005 MIM Standard Telecasters, which is not the same as the normal Fender pickup height adjustment screw." It's shorter and thinner.

Re-tapping and such is not an option. If I can't find a screw that matches, my wife wants me to bring it in to a shop and have them fix it. At this point I'm inclined to agree. I'm not "Emmett the Handyman" - not by a long shot!

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

... and so after a trip to Ace Hardware, I find they are Phillips-head 4-40 thread, 5/8" long. The Tele is back in action!

9. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Bro-take the screw out of the guitar and take it to the local Ace hardware-found some for my MIM Tele and they work fine-i think I spent about 36 cents-damn near broke the bank(LOL).

10. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Yup, 15 cents each! But it took me an hour to find that particular size.

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

see how you are?
    next time ask the guy to help you...
    got mine in about 20 seconds.

12. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Yeah.... this particular Ace Hardware is closing in a month, so they didn't have a guy that I could ask. I do feel lucky that I found what I needed.

13. ES350

ES350 Member

you'd be amazed at what is in some of those dusty 'specialty hardware' bins---exact replacements for tweed amp hardware, Ampeg stovetop knobs, Dakaware switch tips, nickel plated Switchcraft parts...at a fraction of what the parts dealers get for it.

14. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Yep , and if you have a "real" hardware store (local, not a "pre-packaged" chain) , check it out . The big boxes are sadly killing them off .