2005, (my) Year of the EQ pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, Dec 31, 2005.

1. fatback

fatback Member

[​IMG]

This year I aquired a bjf Sea Blue EQ, a t.c. Dual Parametric EQ, and a Antelope Effects Morning Dew EQ/buffer. They are each part of different rigs right now and have been very usefull as tone shapers, buffers, and boosts. The bjf is at the top of my list. Just an amazing sounding pedal; simple to use and and hard to turn off. The big surprise of the bunch was the Morning Dew. I bought one of the prototypes off the builders emporium here last month on a whim and have been very pleasantly surprised. This pedal is a real triple threat, eq, boost, buffer, in one box. The t.c. is doing great things for fattening and smoothing my low volume, apartment tones. EQ never seemed liked a very sexy or desirable pedal for me to get in the past, but now I wouldn't set up a board without one.

...and knowings half the battle.;)

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

The Morning Dew is the only EQ I've tried and I love it. Got to try it out on the "tour" and have a review at HC. Will definitely be buying one...just makes my rig sound professional.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Yes! What an astounding difference they can make, no? Pushing a truly great rig into the extraordinary zone.

It's also been the year of the "clean" boost for me. Just got an RC booster that seems to work very well at either the beginning or the end of my signal chain, squeezing an extra 5% of goodness from gear that I was already pretty pleased with. The new year's off to a good start..

4. fatback

fatback Member

I almost forgot about my Sniper-modded GE-7. It now lives in the loop of my Tim pedal.
    [​IMG]

5. guitarrob

guitarrob Member

I've got my old fave Furman PQ3 in my studio guitar rack right now, but anybody have any advice on the best stomp box para EQ to capture the great beefy tone of my beloved PQ3? I can't justify bringing my old PQ3 out to gigs, since it's a bit fragile.

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Someone help me out here... what does a buffer do?

7. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

Not all buffers are created equal so this doesn't really apply to the buffers you'll find in Boss, Ibanez, DOD, Dano, etc. soft switching pedals. But in terms of my pedal (the aforementioned Morning Dew) the buffer takes your passive – high impedance – guitar signal and converts it to an active – low impedance – signal at unity (same volume). What this does is allow you to run though all of your true bypass pedals and cables with less signal loss, high & low end loss and noise.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

It recovers the signal and brings all the high end, and bass back. Like the pedals that do not have true bypass, when the pedal is in bypass mode the signal gets degraded when going through the whole circuit board, then the buffer gets ahold of it and brings it back, then it spits it out the other end of the pedal.. There are also pedals that are just buffers, and they are made for when you are running a lot of pedal that are not true bypass, you can put the buffer either at the end, or some whare in the middle. Buffers also push long cords so you don't loose you signal. If your pedals are true bypass you shouldn't need one, but they say it's still good to have one pedal in your chain with a buffer.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

9. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Hey Brian B. when are them pedals going to be done, it's killing me waiting for the Morning Dew EQ??

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

10. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

Killing me too! My PCB designer is on vacation I think so I'm waiting on the final rev of the PCB. Still hope they'll start rolling mid Jan :)

11. erksin

erksin Member

I have a hunch that 2006 is gonna be MY year for EQ pedals...

How many of you guys that use EQs are using them with single tone control amps? I'm happy with my overall tone but could always use a little 'sweetening', you know..?

12. drolling

drolling Member

Yes of course it's a great fix for funky little amps. I usually use an EQ and/or booster with my Gibson Falcon GA 19 RVT. These PTP all tube amps have a great trem circuit and some of the wettest reverb I've heard but a cheezy tone knob that basically rolls off treble. Even a lowly stock GE-7 helps a lot..

13. erksin

erksin Member

My main amp is a '63 Falcon...

So - Sniper Mod GE-7 or Antelope Morning Dew? I'm a guy who likes simplicity (remember, single tone control) and the MD is right up my alley but the Sniper sure gets great reviews. I don't really need a boost, and the buffer option is a plus with the MD (did I just talk myself into it?)...

14. drolling

drolling Member

No kidding! I figure mine's around the same vintage. How did you figure out the year of manufacture?

Mine was skinned of all its tolex and in need of a new speaker & cap job when I got it, but what a great amp. I paid almost nothing for it and like it just as much as some fender blackfaces of the same era.

I've heard it referred to as the "poor man's Deluxe" and I've no idea why these amps are so undervalued.

Do you ever use the monitor out jack to drive a bigger amp? Brilliant feature..

15. threm

threm Member

16. erksin

erksin Member

Mine was 100% stock when I bought it about 10 years ago, so the speaker/pot/tranny codes were the most help in dating it. If you have any of those components left that are stock - start from there. You can also do it by the cosmetics of the amp - I know the tolex on yours is gone, but if you still have the original knobs that can narrow it down too (red arrow inserts are '62/'63, plain aluminum inserts '64/'65). I've never tried running out through the Monitor jack, since I've still not had a reliable explanation of what it actually is/does. I've heard it could be a Line Out or Ext. Speaker jack...

I love this amp - it's totally the foundation of my tone, couldn't live without it!

[​IMG]

And sorry for the hijack, guys!

17. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

SWEET! :)

18. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I too bought one of Brian's new Morning Dew EQ pedals...I use it with a Cornford Hellcat, or an EL34, 50 watt VAC combo...amazing...makes those great amps unbelievable!!;) ;) ;) ;) :p :p

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I had the stereo outs on my WOBO switching system outfitted with buffer circuits with volume control for each amp for these purposes.