2005 strat weight and wood

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by leonard d rock, Nov 9, 2019.

1. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

i bought a 2005 white mim strat from a friend and while its my favorite and only fender strat, its weight is now bothering me so i only use it for important gigs. the other night a friend let me play his sunburst mim strat which he says is a 2013 or so and it was considerably lighter. is there a difference in wood and weights between strats over the years?

thanks,
    Ldr

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

No. It just comes down to each guitar. From my experience, ash can be either really heavy or light. Alder is usually light, but I've seen the odd heavy one. I find the MIM models to be inconsistent, some are real heavy and others are light. You just need to weigh each one.

3. cra1987

cra1987 Member

Alder can be heavy too. I was looking for a tele for a long time and not a lot of used ones came up at the shop I frequent. So I bought a MIM one unseen and that sucker weighs 8.5 pounds. It sounds good though, after a pickup swap.

4. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

For sure, I had a similar experience when I bought an Ibanez once. It was the Talman model I think. 9.8 pounds of alder, it was a complete dog. I traded it in as soon as I could. That was by far the heaviest one I ever owned. I have an alder Strat now and its 7.2 pounds.. nice weight.