2006 ES335 Legit?

Pat6969

Found this locally. Does it look legit? What’s it worth?

37CACB6A-C34E-4E3C-BB1F-2AEB1E02FDAD.png
A1D8827F-3393-489B-BC80-813FC99A9D92.png
0C1D9BD8-688F-44C3-8A99-F1BDE6DB4E72.png
708F2520-A3C0-4A7C-8C46-6CCA8B898DC7.png

LBXPDX

Check out the f holes.

If in doubt, call Gibson with the serial numbers. Odds are on line the serial with be legit, but if you call Gibson they will probably tell you the serial number is for an SG.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Yea I don’t know. That serial number stamp looks a little too crisp to me.

The neck binding looks thin for a standard USA 335 and the lack of fret nibs on a overall clean looking guitar.

I’d pass on that one.

low_fidelity210

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, pretty off.

The Bridge posts are the metric import style post (large post, with flat head slot). And the bridge itself is clearly the cheap epiphone type import bridge.

A Gibson 335 shouldn't have bound F holes.

The pickgaurd shape and mount style are both very wrong.

Fake grovers.

Chibson style serial number & made in USA....looks too sharp and deep, like it was carved in with cnc, vs the Gibson style that looks like an "imprint".

No nibs....

Etc....really there's not anything about that guitar that is right.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I'm no 335 expert but agree things look off. I'm hoping someone can provide more details on how to tell.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
Didn’t the 06 335 that came with block inlays have vintage tuners and not Grover’s. I believe the color was Antique Red. Bound F holes were a red flag for me.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
Pick guard shape is all wrong as well, and as mentioned above, there should be no visible retention screw on the belly.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
Lots of good catches here already. One thing that always raises my radar on these is the exclusive use of weird angles in the photos so you don’t get a real clean look at the body shape and proportions, parts placement and positioning, etc. Lack of a clear look at the neck heel also raises suspicion - Gibson has changed the heel shape over time, so it’s harder to use as a verifier, but some of these fakes have really off heel shapes that would jump out.

Valves-R-Us

Remember the owner may not know any of this? Lots of these things are floating around so you never know what they know? Best to walk away. Informing them of your suspicions puts them on defense you think they're a crook.

I'd probably delete the thread at this time from forum concerns about these. Seems there's enough proof of its Chibson origin. The fuzzy logo Grovers are so rough the lettering looks like they were sand cast.

tktk

You know what, the first thing I noticed from the pics was the low E not being aligned over the polepiece, so I naturally assumed it's a genuine Gibson. :p

Pat6969

Thanks all. I passed on it. Figured it was fake but wanted to be sure since I’m not a huge Gibson aficionado.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom