1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

2006 Klon Centaur vs. the earlier models

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Plowdoggy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

I'd like to know if there are any broad differences between early vintage Klon Centaurs and the current models. We all know what happened to the Proco Rat amoung others.

2. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Plow

They are the same. If you call Bill he will confirm. HE is pretty passionate about that, and the fact that his build quality has remained consistant all these years.

Anyone that tells you they are different may believe in snake oils as well (not the strings). Bill, will tell you the same.

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

4. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

Thanks. That helps a lot.

5. Plowdoggy

Plowdoggy Member

By the way how do you post your gear at the bottom of your response. I'm new to this

6. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

User CP on top of page. Have a play :)

7. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Anyone knows why he stopped putting the centaur picture on his pedals? They looked so cool.. Now the new ones look so.. plain. :(

8. 1968

1968 Member

$$$$$$$

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've had 3, as stated before, and from Bill himself, aside from the graphic and color they are all the same.

10. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I remember when I purchased the Klon a few years back & speaking to Bill & I asked the same question as you. Like everyone here has said there is no difference between the old Klons to the new versions!!

I remember at the time also he informed me that Aerosmith had just put a order of 12 Klons in & he wasn't sure why they needed so many BUT obviousally was very pleased they were using them!!

11. TimH

TimH Supporting Member

Joe Perry uses a different guitar and amp for every song in the Aerosmith show so the story goes...I'm assuming he wanted a Klon for several of those rigs.

12. kaseri

kaseri Member

I have two Centaurs & only one amp. Hmm... something must be wrong with me. :)

13. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Bill told me that he thinks the pedal looks better without that graphic.

14. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

well, he should still offer it as an option then:(

15. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

he should do whatever he wants.

16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

The old ones are better and worth more.

Trust me.

:fullofit:

17. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

My understanding is that there IS a difference between the very earliest Centaurs and everything else that followed. About a year (or thereabouts - I don't really remember) after production started, Bill decided that the overdrive tone needed a bit more bass response. So this was done in such a way as to not affect either the buffered bypass tone or the tone when the Centaur is set for "clean boost" (gain control turned all the way off). I would't know at which serial # the changeover occurred. It was definitely during the era when they all had gold cases with the horsey-man picture. (I used to own one of the earliest Centaurs, but that was a long time ago.)

How do I know this? Bill told me - in person.

My guess is that, for most Centaur users, given how they set the knobs (gain set very low or off), this would be a non-issue.