2006 Pedalworx Cactus Crunch 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matt F, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Matt F

Matt F Member

Mello M8s,

Well, I got my new version of the Pedalworx Cactus Crunch yesterday from Tonefactor.com and I am really digging this box. It reminds me very much of the Tim in the sense that it is very open and adds dynamics without coloring the sound. It just sounds good.

Playing a Strat into a Rivera Fandango and the extra dirt it adds is just enough to push the amp without getting muddy. The pedal does also seem to boost the treble a bit.. but sometimes that's a good thing.. and obviously it can be tweaked to not be so bright. The pedal adds an openness to the sound kind of like an added presence again in a good way..

The CC also runs internally at 18V. I am going to show my ignorance here and say I don't know why that's better than 9V but I figured it might be worth noting if anyone has any input about that? All I know is the C Crunch is a pretty sweet sounding OD. I used the word sweet because that is kind of the OD sound I've been getting out of it..

So the honeymoon period starts.. Time will tell if it stays on the board. So far looks like a match. Fun pedal.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. rewog

rewog Member

I've only had mine for a few days, and I haven't given it a good try out yet, but it has an amazing level of clarity and articulation.
    It is different to other OD's which is a feat in itself.
    The treble can be slightly harsh to my ears, even when rolled down.

3. Matt F

Matt F Member

You know I tend to agree as did my brother when I let him try it out. It can be harsh. I can turn the Treble down and it gets better. I will also agree the clarity and articulation is wonderful but I think the side effect of that can be the treble issue. The Tim didn't have that but was still different.

Seems to me, please let me know if you agree, that the pedal acts almost like a range expander in a way. Adds another dimension to the sound of your guitar.. Kinda like if your sound is 6' tall before you engage the pedal it becomes 8' tall after. tailoring the amp and guitar to get away from the "harsh" took little time but I will still have to play a little more with it to see if it becomes an issue.

4. rewog

rewog Member

Yep, it has a HUGE range, which gives it that 3D big sound. Most pedals are compromised somewhere... i.e. loss of Lows, Mids or Treble. The CC has a full sound everywhere without any trace of muddiness (18 volts at work).
    I think maybe it just need a filter of some sort to roll off the top end slightly and it would be pretty much perfect.
    I'm thinking the Honey Bee after it will probably do the job also.

5. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I've had mine a couple of weeks and it is a pretty amazing pedal. Besides the great articulation and clarity, the notes just feel so good through it. The CC grabs the note just enough without adding extra compression and such. At first I was concerned about a perceived bass loss, but then discovered the sweet spots of the bass control. After 3:00, it starts adding in bass without woofiness. I've been running the bass at around 4:30 and the treble around 3:30. So many pedals lately have had a short honeymoon period, but with this new CC, I'm as impressed with it now, as I was the first time I plugged it in--truly amzing for me.

6. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

all i can say is if anyone own a CC that is harsh or bright, send it to george
    cause i run my amps fairly bright, and if anything i find the CC to be more
    dark! i run the bass around 5 treble@ 1 or so............. and it is smooth not
    harsh at all, very unique tone! overall one of the best on the market, don't
    be afraid to crank the bass, when volume levels are high, raise the treble,
    drop the bass a tad!

7. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Hi guys!

I got my mine about a week ago and I connected with it right away. As previously mentioned..It is very open and very articulate. Rollo made a good point about it grabbing the notes extremely well...very true. IMO, everything else that I have compared it to, sounds totally congested. This OD is all about CLARITY, a true enhancement. Rolls off fantastically and if you like to stack, it does that incredibly well too. The trick with this unit is to set the bass at least at 3:00. I think that 3:00 is about unity. It is very full sounding and CLEAR, never get's flubby or boxey sounding at all. Right now, these are my settings:

Drive 2:00
    Level 1-2:00
    Bass 3:00
    Treble 10:00 ish.
    Mostly Gibsons (humbuckers) through Super Reverbs (RI and a '66), or a '68 Deluxe Reverb. I think it would work great with Marshall style amps too because it is so open sounding. I'm gonna have to try that at some point.

I used it at rehearsal a couple of times and it sounded awesome. Just a few days ago, I played at the CT Blues Society's Blues Challenge. It was held at the best Blues club in CT, which was THE test for me. Even though the CC was so new to me, I had to use it because I know that my ears weren't lying. As we started the show, I kicked in the CC and within the first five seconds, it put a huge smile on my face. As far as I'm concerned, with my my setup, this is one of the best, if not the best OD I've ever heard period. Now that's a pretty bold statement for me, but as of right now...I can say this with complete confidence.

Coincidentally, I am the guy who actually named the pedal! Now how cool is that! This is George's finest work yet, as he spent a long time with it and it went through many revisions during the process. Well, now he's got it right...This is a winner!!! Great job George, many kudos!

As people try to describe what it sounds like, you may hear the same cliches and terms which may not be always so convincing. IMO, this is a unit that you would have to hear for yourself to make your own judgement. Just like everything else, it's probably not for everybody, but I'm sure it will work great in most setups. It sounds like no other OD I've heard before. I have tried many top notch OD's and this one is right up there and certainly a standout.

(edited to add more details)

8. Joe57

Joe57 Member

Troy,

Do you hear any of the treble harshness some of the other guys mentioned?

How would you compare this new Cactus Crunch to the new Blue Collar?

9. rewog

rewog Member

Joe
    I wouldn't stress about the treble deal. It was meant as a
    "the only fault I could possibly pick"
    rather than "I can't live with it"
    It's an amazing and unique OD, and I'm liking it more the more I use it. Remember also that it's all gear dependent too....
    My pickups can be a little trebly also, and I think it's time I changed them.

I think the CC is going to be a very popular pedal, and I doubt anyone would be disappointed in it.

10. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Hi Joe!

Well, it does have quite a bit of available treble. However, I wouldn't call it harsh, especially playing in a band situation. It cuts through beautifully and the clarity is key....I mean it really depends on how you set it too. With humbuckers, I have the treble set at about 10:00 and the bass at 3:00. I mostly use the middle position of a Les Paul so it is a nice balance. When I use just the bridge pup, I may back off on the bridges tone knob a little at times. In fact, when I first got it, I was playing on the bridge pup and working with the guitars volume & tone knobs a bit. Man, I dialed in some of the sweetest tones I've ever heard from an OD!

I am not a big fan of dark OD's or dark tones in general, so I don't mind having enough available treble. Anyways, you can definitely dial in the OD to match your amps tone and just enhance it perfectly. The settings may be a bit different from the norm, but the tone and clarity is truly the payoff here.

Compared to the Blue Collar? The CC has less compression, gain and mids. The CC also sounds much bigger as well (full). You have great EQ control with the seperate bass & treble controls. The bass is so tight and clear...It never gets flubby, even at the highest settings. I use the BC for higher gain applications with alot of success. The BC sings and sustains much more....I still love my Menatones!

Hope that helps! :)

11. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Headroom and bandwidth and detail.

It also has a subtleness to the drive that your tone comes thru having only been lightly dusted by the distortion rather than burnt crispy and buried in ketchup.....

and the Bass control is at unity at about 2-3 oclock so trun it up even tho it feels wrong :D

it sounds more like a distorting preamp ( as opposed to preamp distortion)

there is some Matchless in there - cleanish distortiondrive...

nummage

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I cannot wait to get mine! You guys are making me happy that I made the choice I made..

13. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

What is the difference in the new ones that are shipping now and the older ones?
    When was the change made?