2006 R8 - Stock Pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stringrazor, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I bought my R8 new in 2006 just before the VOS line came out (s/n verifies it was made in early 2006, Jan IIRC). I've loved playing it since the day it arrived and haven't changed a thing. Don't know why I waited 30+ years but I'd always wanted an LP. Recently, I bought a new SG Standard, another guitar model I've wanted since I started playing as a kid in the mid 60's. I've been entertaining myself with A/B'ing these two great guitars (thru a 69/70 SFDR, 80's Marshall Jubilee combo and various fx). I know the specs on the SG's pups but what's in the R8?

2. justonwo

justonwo Member

If I'm not mistaken, they were using Burstbuckers 1 and 2 back then.

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

If you look at the underside of the pickups, you'll see the BB stickers.

4. billstets

billstets Member

I also have a 2006 pre-VOS R8. They're BB1/BB2.

At one point I took them out and put in Duncan Antiquities. Thankfully I didn't sell the BBs, because after a year or so, I put them back in. The BBs are more lively and fun to play. The Antiquities weren't bad, but kind of bland. All in my humble opinion of course. I've tried different PAF style pickups over the years, including WCR, and I think the BBs are a perfectly legitimate PAF style pickup, even though people rag on them here.

5. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Thanks for the informative replies! What differences should I notice between the R8's BB 1/2 and the SG's 490R/498T?

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

The Burstbuckers sound good and the 490R/498T don't. :)

Burstbuckers are vintage style pickups with low output and, in my opinion, much better clarity and nuance.

The 490R/498T combo is for a modern, higher gain sound. I find them to be muddy and inarticulate.

7. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Interesting, thanks. From what I've heard so far A/B'ing the two guitars, I don't agree with your assessment. I don't find the SG muddy or in articulate in any way and I'm a classic rock dinosaur who isn't into metal or a lot of "modern" hi-gain tones.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

How would you say they compare based on your A/B'ing?

9. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I agree! I have a pair of BB unpotted just like the R-8 in my Epiphone Dot....
    Great Pickups.....I too have other PAFs but BB 1&2 are sweet.

I also like 496 and 500 for HOT Gibson pickups......Great tone!

10. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

I'm really enjoying the new SG. I find it has a bit more treble response and chord clarity than the R8 but that they both cover pretty similar tonal territory. The R8 sustains a bit better. It didn't jump out that the SG's pups were hotter but my pedalboard includes a vol pedal and I haven't yet A/B'd them direct into the SFDR, but I will. I haven't gigged with the SG (and probably won't for the near future as I'm w/o a band right now).

The SG is light as a feather with unhindered upper fret access and of course is easier to play but I still love the "piece of granite" feel of the R8. The R8 has a big neck while the SG's is slimmer but still beefier than what I remember from playing 60's profile necks. I enjoy the difference.

11. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Funny, I had forgotten this post and the answer to my question and posed the same question again in the Gibson forum and was answered with a link to my old post here.

Perhaps it's because I have been playing through a Fractal Axe/Fx II and studio monitors at home a lot, but I've been able to able to tell the differences in pickups much more readily these days. I've come to really like the BB1/2 set and the 490R/498T not so much, at least for my playing style. The latter pups are just too hot and ..."peaky" for my tastes. I wouldn't call them muddy but they don't allow a broad range of touch. the are almost immediately in your face.