2007 Gibson Melody Maker electrical issue

lang.murphy

Hi, folks... I usually hang in the Amps & Cabs forum... Anyway...

My 2007 MM is buzzing intermittently and I believe it is probably a loose wire to the input jack. I can stop the buzzing by moving the instrument cable.

It's a one pickup config and photos I found googling it look about as simple as could be. The pots and the input jack are attached to the pick guard and two wires run from the input jack to one of the pots. I assume one of those wires has become loose. I suppose it could also be a problem with the jack itself.

I can't solder worth a damn, but my son can. If it's just a loose wire, he should be able to re-solder the thing. If, however, it's a problem with the jack itself, how does one determine that it's the jack, not a loose wire?

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

I am considering attempting to fix this, with my son's help, because every penny counts these days and I'd rather not have to drop $100 (SWAG) on fixing a $300 guitar.

That said... if I have to take it to a tech because there are other considerations I'm not factoring in, like maybe having to adjust the truss rod after taking all the strings off at one time, then recommendations for guitar techs in Gwinnett County near ATL would be appreciated. (Although it just dawned on me I might be able to remove the pick guard without having to remove all the strings...)

lang.murphy

Geez... the silence was deafening.

OK... let's focus on one thing: if I have to remove all strings to remove the pick guard, will the truss rod need adjusting? Yes/No/Maybeso?

Papanate

You won't have to adjust the neck because you removed the strings.
Although you may want to tweak it just a little if it needs it. There are
a gazillion YouTube Videos that will show you how.

As for the Electronics - learn a skill from your Son. It's really fun (for me)
to work on my guitars.

As for the Buzz - if you can move the cable and it stops - it's most likely the
ground wire on the Jack. It probably just needs to be re-soldered.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
That'll be an easy soldering job for your son. If the guitar needs a new jack, a Switchcraft is under $2 plus shipping. Don't worry about the truss rod.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom