2008 American Standard, how do I tell?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SeeMoore, May 5, 2008.

1. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

My local shop is getting an American Standard 3 tone sunburst/maple board Strat in tomorrow and it's supposed to be a new 2008.
    What should I look for to make sure of what I'm getting?

Oh, and they say it's $50 bucks extra for the sunburst color, but GC and MF advertise them for $999.00, 'cept for the Sienna, that's why the "trust" issue.

2. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

The brigde is a lot thicker and made of bell brass, the neck is beveled, the new cases are awesome.

Other than the S/N thats it.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I believe the new ones also have vintage style saddles.

4. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

Yes i forgot to add that. They are filed down at the factory though so they dont mess up your hand like the vintage ones did

5. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Also, Fender no longer up charges for sunburst. They used to, but do not anymore.

6. jazzandmetal?

It is an injected block, not solid brass. Also, has new saddles, 40% less under coat for a "thinner" finish and the back of the neck is satin tinted and the fron now has a gloss finish.

7. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Ok, thanks JazzandMetal, I've heard very good things about the new Standards and I'm ready to buy if it fits me nice.

8. biggreen

biggreen Member

Easy, it should look identical to this one:

[​IMG]

or the fretboard and headstock are gloss instead of matte, the saddles are vintage instead of blocks, and it coms with a rectanlge SKB case, not a violin styled one. There are other diferences but I am sure that should be enough.

I love mine, it is an amazing axe.

9. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Very nice, and you're right, it should look just like that, right down to the D'addario strings in the case.

10. biggreen

biggreen Member

For sure, a 3 pack of 10's. The 8? bullets they put on them from the factory are weak so swap them out ASAP and reset the truss. There should be a Fender strap and patch cord in there as well as a bunch of allen keys, so make sure they aren't stealin your candy! Here's to hopin you get a 1 piecer like I did.

[​IMG]

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Respectfully.

The bridge is a new composition but the same thickness; it is very clearly marked "Fender" in script. And the saddle attachment holes are dead center, not offset. Unmistakable. The sintered steel saddles of the Am Se have been replaced by "bent steel" type saddles similar to (nice) those on vintage models, very nicely constructed. The bodies and matched and sanded more and the coating is less; this may not be real easy to see, but the 3 ash versions, clear sunburst and crimson are very light and are of premium quality, hence the upcharge. The neck is very difficult to tell from the Am Se except that the face of the headstock is now glossier, not satiny like the rest of the AS (and all Am Se) necks. There may be fewer "dud" AS necks, but the thickness, the nut, the tuners, the finish composition, the fretwire, the radius and all details I can see are the same as the Am Se. FMIC claims the board edge is rolled more, I don't see that. The big new "Hummer" case from SKB could be switched on you, so that won't help you ID it. The serial # could be 07 not 08 that would not change which model, Am Se or AS, it actually was.

The ash ones are really light, very nice. I'm not in because the neck is just as thin as before. I need a fat neck.

Bubbanov

12. jazzandmetal?

The whole front of the neck is glossy on the maple boards. Wish they didn't do that. I agree with you on the neck. Too thin for me. I swear...the newer necks are even thinner than before.

13. biggreen

biggreen Member

I think the gloss is normal. I just wish they had done the whole neck in gloss. I don't get this satin neck garbage, If I wanted a satin neck I would have bought a Squire. Gibson doesn't do this on their standard models and the best classic fenders never used to either. I have learned to live with it but I don't see the point, to me it slows things down. I do really like thin necks though, and I have average sized hands.

14. jazzandmetal?

Yeah, the whole neck used to be satin. I have average hands and used to love thin necks. The nocaster neck and my 1" allparts neck ruined that for me!:p

15. biggreen

biggreen Member

Man, if I could change just 1 thing about this guitar that would be it. :p , oh well, I guess they tried to apease both sides of the fence, atleast my fret board is slick and the headstock doesn't look like it fell off the boat from indonesia. :YinYang

16. jazzandmetal?

Hehe. It is cool you like it. I think they stepped up their game a lot with these new standards. :cool:

17. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Didn't get the Strat, it didn't come in to the store, still waiting.

18. biggreen

biggreen Member

Ah, well. Be patient. It is worth the wait IMO. Atleast it'll be brand new and unplayed.

19. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

FWIW, don't let an '07 serial number bother you if it has those features, most visably the vintage saddles, gloss fretboard with satin neck back and the new "Hummer" style case.
    Mine has an '07 number but is very clearly the '08 AmStd.
    Also FWIW the neck on mine is definately fatter than both the AmDlx strat and AmDlx Tele I recently sold

20. blueslover

blueslover Member

This probably should have been the very first post, but they come with a new sticker on the pickguard. A silver circle sticker.... lol