2008 Fender American Standard guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Glowing Tubes, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Anybody had a whack at these?

I had a chance to go down to GC today and try out the new 2008 American standard tele and strat.
    I have to say, Fender has really stepped up in the QC dept.

First I played the sunburst finish tele, the neck feels great, full and comfortable.
    The rounded fretboard edges have a nice feel and I really liked the polished fretboard (Maple) with the satin finish back of the neck.
    Fit and finish looked excellent.
    Bends felt good, no fretting out, fret work is decent, plugged in stock pickups even sound good, neck pickup in particular had a nice woody tone. Playability is excellent!

Then I tried a rosewood fretboard strat, also had a real nice feeling neck with the rolled edges. Pretty decent sounding pickups. Very easy to play, finish and fit also looked really good on this guitar. Neck pocket clean and tight.

All in all, I'd say Fender really has hit one out of the park with these guitars. They were well set up (unusual for any guitar at GC in my experience) and just felt great off the shelf. Eventually I'd switch out the tuners and pickups though.
    Great bang for the buck for about 1K. :dude

Didnt have the $$ or the tele would have come home with me. I'd gladly own one though and hope to in the future.

RC

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

The new stamped-saddle two-pivot bridge on the Strats is one of the best tone moves they ever made. Same saddles on the Tele sound horrible; no twang, snap or pop. Neck feel is a major improvement. -Eric

3. Redbell

Redbell Member

I concur, loved the Strat, very nice.
    The Tele was good but that bridge - NO THANKS, I'd swap it out pronto, Tonto!

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I would argue that the "twang" factor was still intact on the Tele with the bent saddles. It was "snappy" too.

We're a conservative bunch, us guitar players, especially when it comes to
    Tele's

I imagine it would be an easy switch over to the barrels again on them though.

5. Griz

Griz Member

I thought it looked familiar. Yes, that's a killer bridge+saddle concept. I had a Classic Player a few years back, and I thought the bridge was the best part of the guitar. Hopefully Fender will eventually offer that bridge as an aftermarket piece.

:D