2009 - 2010: What Gear Stays?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Scott Peterson, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I do this every year and it's fun. Posted in Amps & Cabs, but you can add pedals and instruments too.

What do you have right now that will still be here in January 2009 come hell or high water?

For me, it's the following:

Amps: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Standard
    Cabs: None. In the Axe-FX. :D
    Effects: None. In the Axe-FX. :D
    Guitars: 2004 Melancon Custom Artist and 2005 Custom Artist "T"

**Special personal note: Same gear I posted up summer of 2007, 2008 and... now. Note I have a FBT 8ma powered monoitor that I use as a monitor as needed. I run direct to FOH and also use IEM's on the gig. :D**

Special Bonus: What will you have then that you don't have now?

My Answer: I am gassin' hard for a FBT 12ma, which is the bigger 12" version of my 8ma; and the upcoming (soon?) Fractal Audio Midi Controller (finally!)

Sorry this is up so late in the year, I usually post this in the summer. My gear hasn't changed in a while... so it's not as exciting and thrilling for me as it once was to guess where I'd be at... cause I already am there. :D

2. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Well here's a pic from 2007, and then 2009, just last week. Comparing the two, it looks like my answer is that the Acoustics are here to stay, and the Electric stuff is in a constant state of flux. Kinda makes sense since I'm an acoustic guy and I REALLY know what I need in that area, and this stuff does it for me. Comparatively, I'm a new kid on electric and finding what works while still improving my electric chops is an ongoing process - both in skills and in the tools to make it happen.

2007:

[​IMG]

2009:

[​IMG]

3. JRPTube

JRPTube Member

AMP: Matchless Lightning Reverb 1x12
    Guitar: Grosh Electrajet Standard
    FX: Timefactor.
    KEEPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'10 KEEPERS TO BE:
    HUBER JR or Collings 290 w/mini hums
    Matchless DC/30

4. zachman

zachman Senior Member

It ALL stays... :beer

Looking forward to some new additions

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Maybe December 2010 instead of January 2009?

2009 was a crazy year for my musical pursuits. 2008 ended with doing music for a TV show and the plan was to do a lot more of that in 2009. We only did one project before my music partner's wife had a baby and the studio we worked out of closed. Frustratingly, I'd sold off most of my home studio stuff since I was working out of a 'real' studio and never used the stuff at home.

Between changes in work and the economy (I also teach guitar and lost a number of my steady students due to money woes), I ended up selling off a ton of stuff (a synth, a mandolin, a bass, an electric guitar, most of my effects, some unneeded studio equipment, . . . ).

So, where are we now?
    Stuff that I have that I intend to keep: My two acoustics - they are my bread and butter. My lap steel. A few effects I've had for a decade or more.
    Stuff I intend to acquire: Studio monitors, recording interface.
    Stuff I intend to sell: Amps (blackface Princeton Reverb, SWR bass amp, battery powered amp I used when busking), my remaining electric. Everything else has already been sold.

On the positive side, it is nice to get back to my core pursuits.

What a year!

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Amps: Carol Ann Tucana, Komet 19
    Guitars: PRS MEII, Gigliotti Custom GT, Fender Strat Am Standard
    Pedals: Plenty

What do I wish for 2010? a couple of things on my list to test out is the Axe Fx Ultra, Carol Ann Revo and a Mesa Mark V. But I won't die of GAS if I don't get too. Happy camper where I am.

7. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

My Larrivee OM-05 stays and the Lil King will probably be here. Electric wise I'm still on a mission but getting closer. Only other amp that I might add would be a Dr Z Maz 18 for the fifth time and guitar wise most likely another tele or high end strat.

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Ooo, I'll play. Really digging what I have, and these will be around a while....

Amps:
    Valvetech 50 watter (2x el34)
    Fuchs TDS 50
    Barber Echelon
    Silvertone 1482

Gittfiddles:
    Robin Ranger Slaptop (2 of 'em)
    Robin Rawhide
    Robin Avalon

Pedals:
    Zendrive
    Zendrive 2
    Retrosonic Chorus
    HBE Moch II delay

Cabs:
    Avatar Vintage 1x12 (Celestion G12-65
    Avatar Vintage 2x12 (Celestion G12H30s)

There's more stuff rattling around the studio, but a good deal of it could get sold next year.

Serious GAS for:
    Couple of amps, like a Goodsell Super 17 mkIII, or a JTM 45 style, or maybe a Quinn or Carol Ann.

Guitars - Another Robin, a McNaught with a chunky neck, or a PRS 245 with a two piece TOM bridge and stop tail setup.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009