• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

2009 50th Anniversary Gibson R9...

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
David, they made a bunch of changes for the '09's. I think these will stay with all the historics going forward. What I've noticed, the neck carve is more vintage style without the big shoulders, really feels like a '50's neck on this one and one other one I tried, Another one that I compared this one to was pretty big but still not as blocky feeling as a lot of the earlier ones. The top carve is more pronounced and vintage looking on these than the past couple years have been. they've been pretty hit or miss with this through the years though, late '01 and early '02 was as good as what they're doing now. A lot of the early '90's historics have a cool dish but the center was domed and not flattened like a vintage one would be. They are now using audio pots with a great taper like they should have been using all along. They are also now wiring the pots vintage style with cap connected to the switch instead of to the pickup lug on the volume pot. The trussrod rod route is narrower and deeper, looks just like a '50's LP route, I don't know if anything else changed there. They've got a vintage correct wireless ABR-1 now with brass posts and saddles and the plastic seems to not have the pink hue to it anymore, it's more beige or tan. The headstock and body have been reshaped to more closely resemble a '50's guitar. The body look is easily seen at the waste and the curve around the switch area. A vintage correct nylon nut has been added and this works great. No more squeaking and sticking when you bend a string.The tailpiece now lines up with the volume knobs like a '50's LP but I'm not sure what exactly they moved to make this happen. It still doesn't look quite right. They also made small changes to the cavity routes.

I sure that's more than you wanted to know and I'm sure I missed a few things. I'm told somewhere around 26 things were changed on these for this year but I've only mentioned the stuff I can verify from first hand knowledge. And, I'm a bit color blind so I could be wrong on the pink being gone from the plastic but I sure can't see it anymore.

Anyway, I think Gibson did a great job on these and I hope they sell a million of them, this economy needs it and my hat is off to a company that is willing to forge ahead during these tough times.

asintoras

Thanks. The first run of the year is 500 guitars in two finishes, Heritage Cherry and Heritage Darkburst, these are the "official" 50th Anniv. guitars with the special cert. Mine is #47. They are doing numerous 25 guitar runs now of different special colors. Some of the dealers are calling these 50th Anniv. guitars and it's been 50 years so I guess they really are. These don't have the 50th designation on the cert. though for what that's worth. I'm totally digging mine and hope to for years to come. Here's the first Les Paul I ever bought, a 1969 deluxe I paid off in Feb. of 1970 and another pic of the last Les Paul I just got in 2009.

Killer 69'! Have you changed pickups, pickup rings and knobs on that?

By the way, my favorite color is this tobacco/Heritage Sunburst. I have a 1973 Les Paul Standard (original routed humbuckers, patented number pickups) in tobacco sunburst, and I really like it.

Congrats guys!! Awesome guitars!

Last edited:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
First of all, that is a spectacular Les Paul! I like that color in particular. :AOK

What I am wondering; after 15+ years of building these R9 historics, did it suddenly dawn on Gibson that all these things were wrong and it was finally time to correct them? :tapedshut Should I wait another 15 years to buy one just to make sure they don't find something else?

Mark Kane

The deluxe was routed by my brother and I the week I brought it home. You couldn't get full sized humbuckers on them then so I did it myself. It's got vintage clone rings knobs on it now too. This guitar has seen a whole lot of 'em come and go including a few '50's LP's and it's still me favorite.

As far as getting it right, it was plenty close enough in '93 when they went back to the long tenon and started selecting the best mahogany for them. All this stuff since then is way geeky but it's still cool to me. Either you dig this minutia or you don't, I do.

Oh ya, I remember a couple other things, the radius on the back edge is tight and the edges of the headstock are a little more rounded over. The tortoise side dots are more transparent and have more red in them also. How's that for geeky?!?:roll

matte

beautiful guitar, mark. i have a hankering for one of them myself. enjoy!

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
The 2009 R9's have a bunch of small refinements. Still not correct enough for the purists (see the LPF for plenty of discussion on this), but these are very nice guitars. Congrats to the new owners. I'll have to get by with my 97 R8:

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
As far as getting it right, it was plenty close enough in '93 when they went back to the long tenon and started selecting the best mahogany for them. All this stuff since then is way geeky but it's still cool to me. Either you dig this minutia or you don't, I do.
Yeah, it's interesting, thanks it's good to learn the geeky details.

So, you mean they made these without a long neck tenon at some point? ... I've never heard of that. I recently got a 2000 that I'm now going to have to pull the pup out and look. :cry: As far as better Mahogany, the tone of the 00 is just mind blowing, ( or ear blowing ) it's 9.1 lbs, and nice straight grain so no complaints there. I have an 06 R9 as well and it runs neck and neck tone wise with the 00, they both have nice fat mids and a good bottom end. Maybe I just got 2 really good ones.

If Gibson is trying to improve the accuracy of these guitars, I wonder then why they discontinued the Lifton cases? They weren't the greatest for protection, but still they looked the part. :dunno

Last edited:

Mark Kane

Yeah, it's interesting, thanks it's good to learn the geeky details.

So, you mean they made these without a long neck tenon at some point? ... I've never heard of that. I recently got a 2000 that I'm now going to have to pull the pup out and look. :cry: As far as better Mahogany, the tone of the 00 is just mind blowing, ( or ear blowing ) it's 9.1 lbs, and nice straight grain so no complaints there. I have an 06 R9 as well and it runs neck and neck tone wise with the 00, they both have nice fat mids and a good bottom end. Maybe I just got 2 really good ones.

If Gibson is trying to improve the accuracy of these guitars, I wonder then why they discontinued the Lifton cases? They weren't the greatest for protection, but still they looked the part. :dunno

Les Pauls didn't have a long tenon between '75 and '93. Accuracy wise they didn't put real cellulose inlays in them this year which would have been nice lookswise. I'd guess it's because the cellulose is so flammable but I don't know that. They also didn't use steel studs for the tailpiece which would have been vintage correct and I think they sound better too. That one would have been easy. My guitar #47 came with a lifton case. Another I tried, I think it was #441 came with the black case so they must have ran out of them in the middle of the run somewhere.

It's a tough road to hoe, trying to give everyone what they want. In early '03 they started using a vintage correct style of lacquer mix that was thin, hard and with a limited amount of plasticisers. They immediately started getting complaints about guitars showing up at dealers with checking so they stopped it early in the year. They used the correct pore fillers on the mahogany for a long time until all the whining about the red bleeding into the binding, just like it did on the originals btw, wore them down. So they're using something else now that doesn't bleed, it also doesn't look as nice as the right stuff.

Look at this thread, there's a guy that complains about something less than his idea of a perfect bookmatch top. I absolutely abhor perfect tops and nothing is more boring to me than a perfect match, chevron top. Lots and lots of guys just love those. Everybody has their own idea of what's right and someone will always take issue so vote with your wallet!!:dude

Last edited:

CDaughtry

Mark...you've had some incredible Pauls go through your hands over the years, and this one is no exception.
You better watch out...you're gonna make the guys over here with their fancy boutique guitars Les Paul lovers!!!:roll

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up #33 from GC in Hollywood. They have had 4 for awhile... I got a great deal. I also played it next to a real 59 burst and a really cool 57 goldtop with a dark back and black plastic. I'm happy to say the neck carve is dead nuts on to the real 59 I played. I think they did a real nice job on this run! I'll try and post a pic soon.

bugman

congrats,the new 09s are killer, i just got one of the 25 in burnt wheat and the tone is killer,vibrates out of my hands and i love the top,

sinasl1

Silver Supporting Member
here's #33, even in a crappy camera phone pic you get the idea, DAMN does this guitar have tone:

Trending Topics