2009 Fender Standard Strats--I like them!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by John Carson, Feb 20, 2009.

1. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I played one at my local GC in Lake Placid Blue. The neck felt really good to me, a full C with med jumbo frets. I also like the 70's logo. The pickups are ceramic I think and had plenty of punch.

Anyone else think these newer MIM Strats are nice?:dude

2. bouteqtive

bouteqtive Member

i cant say ive ever played a new one, but i can say that i really like where fender is going with the new MIMs. Better color choices, cooler logo, and new neck shapes. I used to have an '04 MIM and liked it a great deal...until i played a tele :)

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The NEW Stds are fantastic guitars!

I mistook them as USA-made Fenders.

4. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

The switch to alder bodies made all the difference. Stick a spacer on that string tree and they stay in tune too.

5. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

I went to my local GC yesterday with every intention of walking out with a new American Standard. Had the cash in hand for the purchase. But, I loved the new MIM so much that I picked it up instead...and saved myself about $600. I'm no expert or pro musician but for the average player, it seems that the Mexican strats have closed the gap on the MIA's enough to make the MIA price a little harder to swallow, IMHO. Of course, the MIA's will always have better resale value and do have some cosmetic advantages over the MIM's.

As an aside, my MIM has a very nice flame maple neck and fretboard. I understand this to be a rarity among both MIA and MIM non-Custom Shop guitars. The salesman seemed pretty shocked and impressed when he pulled it out of the box. Anyone know anything about this? Did I score an extra-nice find or was the salesman feeding me lip service? Pictures to follow...

EDIT:

Photos:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/kelleybp/IMG_4429.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/kelleybp/IMG_4428.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/kelleybp/IMG_4427.jpg
    http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/kelleybp/IMG_4426.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. orcmonkey

orcmonkey Member

That's a killer neck!

7. airwarrior

airwarrior Member

Replace the pickups and yiu have the tonal equivalent of an American standard.

8. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

The new MIM guitars sure are nice. My store just got a bunch of 'em in and I was pleasantly surprised how much better they were!! And now they're offering some great "new" colors as well

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

I tried a few new Fenders last week, a Road Worn 60's, Am standard, Classic Player 60's, and a sunburst MIM standard. I was really impressed with all of the 2009 Fender line except the RW's tone sounded thin to me. I liked the feel and CS '69 pickups in the classic player but the neck and resonance of the AM Std more.

The 2009 MIM was just as resonant as the American. I liked the three tone sunburst finish of the MIM, the vintage logo was a nice touch. I tried each one through a '67 Super Reverb they all sounded good. I almost walked out with the MIM but Im having a '59 built. Im really considering putting my Mares in a new MIM. I agree that Fender is stepping it up.

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

Yeah, I was impressed as well.

I have a late - 80's MIJ Strat that I love the neck on - the new Standard's were very similar. Finally in LPB as well! Can't go wrong.

(I did not plug in to check out the pickups, but I am always swapping that stuff out anyhow).

11. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

That neck is amazing, wow!

12. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

Wow, lots of love for the Standards. I'd really like to add a strat or a tele (or both) to my arsenal, perhaps I'll have to check them out.

13. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

First thing I did to mine was add the spacer.

These MIMs are wonderful. I put in a set of Fender Hot Noiseless pups and it screams. Everything is perfect about this guitar... neck feels great, it stays in tune, it's light (well, 8 lbs 2 ozs), it resonates like an acoustic (slight exaggeration), it looks great.

14. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

What did you use, if you don't mind me asking? I was wondering if an American Std. string tree could be used also....

15. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

Thanks! I am very happy with it and the guitar in general. I would highly recommoned a MIM strat or tele to anyone in the market for an American.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Nothing wrong with the pickups on the MIM Std., at least not something Am Std pickups would fix. IMO.

I'd replace the tuners with Gotoh vintage style and the block, saddles and trem arm with Callaham pieces - then play it for what it is, nevermind any other models.

I saw 3 LPB Strats on the wall at GC. Yes, fresh guitars but I thought they'd look incredible. They just sort of "fit in" to be honest but they are nicely made. The neck does not look alien any more.

17. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Does it bother anybody that the bodies are made of so many pieces?

Last I knew, they were 4, 5 or even more.

Anybody know if they changed that?

18. janosfia

janosfia Member

IMHO, the new MIMs are very nice. The new $549 price tag is not.

19. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

I just took one of the spacers off of my Squier '51 string tee. It had two. It's just a small metal tube, and I cut it to the right length.

You could use that American Standard tee. It's purpose is simply to pull the string down to the proper angle behind the nut so that the tension is adequate.