2009 satin SG finish question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by snacker, Mar 10, 2015.

1. snacker

snacker Member

I have a 2009 Satin finish (or faded...not sure what they called it at that point). I had a couple of dents in the neck that were driving me bonkers, so I used the damp rag and iron trick to pull the dents out. Worked great and they popped 90% of the way back out. The finish seemed to have come off in the spot where the iron was. It actually feels quite nice where the finish came off, but i'm wondering if it needs to be sealed with something. What kind of finish was used on those? Suggestions?

cheers!

[​IMG]

2. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

It is most likely a satin nitro. I would seal it myself to avoid the finish delaminating any farther. Satin finish will never blend together like gloss. The technique of leveling and buffing out are not usable on these finishes. So it will always look like a repair. I have satin nitro on hand and usually use my airbrush on these type things, you will need to look at what materials you have available and what you are comfortable with doing with this.