2010 Minnesota Blues Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Schwalbe, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

Balloting for the 2010 Minnesota Blues Hall Of Fame inductions is open until
    1/31/10.
    The nominnes are;
    http://www.gtcbms.org/form4/nominees.html

A... Performer(s)
    a.. Alstad, Roy G
    b.. The Butanes
    c.. Rockin' Daddy & the Rough Cuts
    d.. Smith, Big Walter
    e.. Testa, Paulie

B... Supportive of the Blues (Non-Performer)
    a.. Bayfront Blues Festival/Chris Mackey
    b.. Blues Saloon (Blues Club)
    c.. Viking Bar (Blues Bar)

C... Blues Art & Literature
    a.. Bradich, Tim "Dr. Dog", Cold Wind Records (Recording Company)
    b.. Dawson, Pat, Blue Loon Records (Recording Company)
    c.. Collins, Cyn: West Bank Boogie

D... Blues Recording
    a.. Maynard, Doug: Lost In The Blues
    b.. Mischo, RJ and the Kid Morgan Blues Band: Ready to Go
    c.. Rodgers, Sonny & The Cat Scratchers: Big Leg Woman/Cadillac Baby

E... Blues Song
    a.. Jackson, Big George: If I Could Change
    b.. Maynard, Doug: Lost In The Blues
    c.. Rodgers, Sonny & The Cat Scratchers: Big Leg Woman
    d.. Rodgers, Sonny & The Cat Scratchers: Cadillac Baby

Join the GTCBMS and vote.
    Go vote here > http://www.gtcbms.org/form4/ballot.html

2. Brian D

Brian D Member

I didn't even know there was a Minnesota Blues Hall of Fame! I needs to get edumacated on this.

3. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

When is NiteRail going to get some coverage up there?! Not sure that they're ready for the Blues Hall of Fame (still pretty young) but definitely worth mentioning when talking about the blues scene.

http://www.niterail.com/

4. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

NiteRail gets as much notice as anybody up here. The main stream press ignores the Blues and as does the alternative paper so there's not much notice to go around.
    I just played a show last month with a dozen other guitar players, Korey was on right before me. He's a tremendous young player with a good band. By the bylaws of the Blues society it'll be another 15 years before they're eligible for the HOF.
    Mojo Buford was just inducted last year, he's been part of the Minnesota scene since 1962 and part of the Memphis scene since 1943!

5. Jazzydave

That's great to hear! I did a show with them a few years back and it was a blast. We ended the night with Crossroads and they were blazin'!

"The Cities" is the type of place where you really have to be in with the right crowd of people to get any exposure. I was fortunate enough to be backed by the label and my gf at the time was one of the head designers for P*laroid - she knew just about everyone in the art/music scene.

Its been awhile since I was up that way but I plan on coming up for some shows in 2010. Are there any well known blues/jazz labels? Maybe someone needs to put some high exposure shows together? I know that when I was out playing, people would always talk about how they wished there were more bands like that...

6. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks for the mention, Dave. The scene here is brutal. There is another young guitar guy up here who is really good, who, IMO, is nowhere near as talented as Korey, but he's made some waves this last year. He does a lot of networking and knows the right people.

We don't do a good job of networking, but that's our own fault. On the upside, we are getting more exposure in the local blues scene. Our shows this fall have been really well attended and the clubs love us.

I am not trying too toot my own horn, in fact I find this depressing, but lately we've heard from the clubs we play and other musicians that we should be a national act, are the best band they've had in, etc.

Now I've always felt we were a really good band, but after years of discussion, in the last year we've really started to pay more attention to the stage show and the reaction of the audience. That's not to say we've gone pop or sold out, but we've worked on set pacing, etc...in general we've just gotten more mature. Better originals, better choice of covers, more interaction with the crowd, etc.

When it comes to playing, I think my guys are really hard workers. When it comes to the business side, we couldn't be any less efficient. Lol.

I am at Two Fish tonight to finish off a couple of songs for the new CD (that should have been done three years ago)! You'll dig it. The tunes aren't real solo heavy or wanky, but we stretch them live...not a traditional blues sound - but that has never been our goal.

7. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

That RJ Mischo / Teddy Morgan record is a KILLER indeed!

8. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

Yeah if there's one recording that brought international attention that there's Blues up here in frostland, that's the one. It ought to be registered in the hall of fame.

9. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

Mike, you're gonna hear that a lot, most everyone hears that a lot.

10. Jazzydave

You guys know I'm from TN. When I was with the label, they told me that when I was in MPLS, I was from TN. When I was in TN, I was an artist based in MPLS.

For some reason, locals seem to attract to the non-local artists...

:dunno

11. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks for the kind words, Dan (insert sarcasm, lol). I wasn't paraphrasing drunk divorced 50 year olds...we were getting comments like that from musicians from more popular bands, bookers, and owners...I would tend to disagree that "most everyone" hears that, although I am sure a minority do...regardless...

It isn't depressing because I think we're hot stuff and should be national. It is depressing, because there are a lot of crap bands out there and if you play "blues" you're stuck to the same few clubs...when you play outside of them people are amazed since they are actually hearing something different ("You mean that is what you play!?!?!). People eat it up and the clubs act shocked like we were going to play a bunch of slow depressing stuff, or couldn't play our instruments.

It took us five years to get into Shaw's. We played there last weekend to a packet house, and played our butts off. It shouldn't be that hard. It isn't like it is Famous Dave's or the Excel Center...to be a relatively new band in a genre whose members tend to discriminate based on age and adherence to a strict set of unwritten rules is brutal. Especially when the band members are exclusive to the band and not playing in a number of groups within the genre or working as hired guns. It appears to be just as difficult for those who have been in the scene for many years.

I play in a really good band. We happen to be blues based. Just because we're young, that doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing. I think most blues "heroes" were in their prime at my age...same with rock. I know a number of harp players who are able to work pretty much every weekend in other regions that are simply not as talented or entertaining as these bands. I am not talking blues rock either. I am talking Cool Dispo style.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Indeed. I have a glass in my bar from the CD release at the Fine Line from years ago.

Those two used to host the Monday night blues jam at the Whiskey Junction in the early 90's. What a great time.

RJ was nice enough to let me, a then 21 year old fewl, up to play a couple songs.

Teddy was like 21 too, but he was an amazing blues player.

I was fortunate enough to play on a Blue Moon recording several years ago as well.

It's kind of embarassing to mention though when there are guys like Schwalbe on this thread who are such masters of the genre.

:eek:

13. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Fascinating thread.

I've kind of given up on "the scene" -- if the talented young guy Mike is talking about is who I think it is, yeah he knows some good people, and yeah he's playing a lot, but it's usually to empty houses or really fickle crowds. I used to play with him and that was sort of always the deal. We did a few gigs opening for bands with serious draw power, and that was fun, but I can totally get the frustration because I kind of wonder if a new band will ever be able to get into the position of some of these more established groups once they're gone.

And then I find myself getting REAL confused when artists like Owl City can come from here literally out of nowhere and have songs in the top 10 of the top 40 without even taking the time to establish a local following.

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

If any of you guys in Minnesota want to do some Networking here in Madison let me know. I put on a weekly Blues event here and do other shows, and Blues is the only kind of music I play. I'm also active in the Madison Blues Society.

Would be interested in doing some "show trades" with other Blues bands from Minnesota once springtime hits

I'm going to try to bring Mojo Buford to Madison sometime for a show

15. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

Contact me, I'll set you up. Be fore warned, he's expensive. Then again at 80 he deserves whatever he can get.
    As for networking, let's hope something can come of that idea.

16. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

Well that was me and RJ at the W. Jct. Kid and Mischo were down the street at the Five on Sunday nights til Harman tapped the Kid.

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Is it really that hard for a talented band to get a gig in Mpls.? As a 'consumer' of live music it seems like there is a dearth of decent live music out there. Maybe I'm just pining for the good ol' days. Or is it the case that crappy classic rock cover bands are the only bands that can draw a crowd these days?

18. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Getting a gig = easy.

Getting people to show up = not so easy.

Getting paid fairly = real hard.

19. Jazzydave

Maybe I was in a different boat bc of my style or whatever but I had no problem getting gigs, getting people to show, or getting paid well. I made an avg of about $350/show solo acoustic and was doing that 4-6 nights a week. That wasn't including sitting in with other bands and doing "free" shows on Sundays that usually generated anywhere from $100-250 just in tips alone.

What I've found is that you don't want to limit yourself. If you're a blues band, stay away from the blues places. It sounds goofy but it does work. Advertise yourself as a great band. When you say you're a "blues" or "jazz" band, you're limiting your outlets. Now you're pigeon holed into that genre, you've established yourself as such, and that's what people are going to see you as.

As for advertising, its all about getting straight to the people. Putting it in the papers and out of fliers is great, but you have to PROMOTE the show and your band. I used to walk around on the streets with my guitar before a show, stop people, and play for them right there. It nearly ALWAYS worked! In fact, I can't think of a time when the person/people I played for didn't show up, but I'm sure it happened.

If you're in a band, hit the streets during the daytime and strip it down. Take out a snare drum and a few acoustics and play on the streets in the area where the gig is.

And last, do some FREE shows at places where they don't normally pay or maybe even don't have music. I say this all the time and people respond with, "That's selling yourself short!" Well, yes, it is if you're playing a place that normally pays $2k for the night and you're playing for $250 but if the venue doesn't pay at all but its in a great location and has high foot traffic, why not?

If I walk into a coffee shop and its packed, the location is good, the people are friendly, and there's a spot where I can set up, I immediately ask for the manager and attempt to set up a show. I've NEVER been turned down.

And, you know what? My myspace numbers jumped up 1000s of people within a few months by doing this! I was able to be intimate with everyone, laugh and joke, and I became more than just "another musician on myspace trying to get his numbers up."

Whew, long winded response, I know! I wrote an article while up there called, "No Gig is a Bad Gig" for one of the publications - funny that the successful artists/bands completely agreed, the ones who weren't, threw a fit and gave every excuse under the sun as to why they didn't take certain gigs.

I loved playing up in Minneapolis/St. Paul and plan to get back up there in 2010. I haven't been there in 3 yrs now and I still get weekly msgs from people up there asking when I'm coming back - that's not from making myself distant from those who support me!

20. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Thats a great post Dave.

From an outsider's perspective, Minneapolis is a very tough place to book. The club owners there all basically said "why should we book an out of town band when there are plenty of great local bands to choose from..."

Which, from a business perspective, I can understand

That said, I've had much more success booking Chicago as an out of town band...I dunno, I've always seen Minneapolis as this strange exotic place where Prince came from and that has a ton of great musicians like the Combo and The Time and Jellybean Johnson and is a very tough place to break into...

I'm sure it'd be different if one moved there and became part of the scene