2011 American Standard Strat

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
So I just picked up a new Strat the other day, a new 2011 American Standard. I REALLY don't need another guitar right now, but this just spoke to me. I saw the Olympic white color and just had to pick it up. I've had it for a few days and this is a hell of a guitar! Very resonant, light, plays great. Fit and finish is fantastic, although it could use a little set up; but very impressed. I even like the pickups, they sound like classic strat pickups. My main Strat is a Suhr, which is the best Ive ever played, and this new Strat is no slouch. Over all, I'm very impressed with an instrument of this quality for less than a grand. Still not sure if I'll keep it, because I really don't need another guitar; but it might be hard to sell this one!

DavidMgT

The new American Standards are very nice guitars and priced right. Fender really did a great job on these.

jackbart1960

I'm probably going to have my TGP card pulled for this but, Fender is making the BEST production instruments that they have ever made. I'm always checking new Tele's out and very rarely am I finding complete dogs. Some might not be my taste but they're not unplayable POS's like some I've seen from others.
Peace J.J.B.

DavidMgT

I'm probably going to have my TGP card pulled for this but, Fender is making the BEST production instruments that they have ever made. I'm always checking new Tele's out and very rarely am I finding complete dogs. Some might not be my taste but they're not unplayable POS's like some I've seen from others.
Peace J.J.B.
I think they are certainly up there - especially the new American Standard strats and teles.

Braunzo

When they revamped the American Std line in '08, after the first few I played in the shop I said, "This is going to be the guitar they reissue in 30 years." I still stand by that. So much that I've bought a American Strat and a 60th Anniversary Tele. I think these are the guitars to get at this time.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
Peace J.J.B.
I agree. I've tried American Standards for many years, and wasn't very impressed with most of them. These new ones are fantastic. I've been wanting a more vintage styled one for a while, with nitro and all. This seems to just as nice, but much cheaper. The bridge is a vintage style bridge, and the finish is thin, and the pickups have alnicos in them. Not really sure why I'd pay double just for nitro.

tone?

I totally agree
I was very impressed not to long ago with these

I could easily buy one and throw a Callaham block in it as the only upgrade

Very nice light guitars

Still want to find a nice all maple neck one and alder

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
I could never buy into the pre '08 Am Standard Strat bridge with cast block saddles with the offset intonation screws. I never understood the point of that design, and the saddles all seem to drift downward over time. If anyone here understands the reasoning that went into that design, I'd sure appreciate knowing it.

The return to bent steel saddles was plus #2 for me.

I'm not a fan nor believer in their 'new and improved' trem block. Why they put a steel block in a MIM JV but not in an Am Standard is beyond me.

I found, just in the two samples I've had, that necks can vary significantly. One was really terrible, super thin, raspy rosewood board, with clear "burn in" resin fillings in the rosewood board. Could only notice it from the the side angle, where it looked like a piece of wood went missing. The truss rod was maxed out, and eventually stripped. This was an '08, after design changes. Maybe the QC is better now, but that neck truly sucked. The one I kept is a very nice maple board neck from another '08, upgraded with Locking Sperzels.

As an aside, the Callaham block, arm, springs and saddles on this one upgraded everything, including the sound of the pickups. Even acoustically, it surprised me, the way I could feel the guitar vibrating. It just felt like a guitar that would cost lots more, and sounded more refined.

BadJaxx

i could not find a Strat i liked until i picked up a new 2010 AmStd at GC....needless to say, i bought it...
same story with a Tele except it was on ebay and a 2009 AmStd...
love them both...

my 2010 AmStd Strat which Mr tone? can now drool over...

gizmo

Timely thread as I'm looking for a new strat. Looks like I have good options now without spending 3x more for a CS model. By the way, how big are the necks? I know they come with a 9.5" radius but how fat or thin are they now?

DT7

The thing I don't like about these new Strats is the frets. Fender doesn't leave much meat on them. A set of frets should last at least two (if not more) dressings. In my new Am Std I only got one...next step is a refret. The jury is still out on the neck and mid pups. Those things said, I (obviously) just picked up one of these brand new, as it had "that sound". It's a keeper. Light, plays well, resonates well, sounds good...it's all there.

shortyz

Gold Supporting Member
i could not find a Strat i liked until i picked up a new 2010 AmStd at GC....needless to say, i bought it...
same story with a Tele except it was on ebay and a 2009 AmStd...
love them both...

my 2010 AmStd Strat which Mr tone? can now drool over...

Now that's a nice looking Strat.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
Still digging this guitar, did a gig with it and play with it at home. I was thinking of bringing it back because I don't need another guitar, but I really dig this thing. Think I'm gonna keep it. Anyone looking for a killer strat should really look at one of these. It you don't like the pickups, its an easy fix. Everything else is pretty killer, no need for any other changes.

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
When they revamped the American Std line in '08, after the first few I played in the shop I said, "This is going to be the guitar they reissue in 30 years." I still stand by that. So much that I've bought a American Strat and a 60th Anniversary Tele. I think these are the guitars to get at this time.
I agree with this. I've never been a Strat guy, but I picked one up in a local store because it was so durn purdy. That was a mistake, because I couldn't put it down. Resonant like you wouldn't believe. I gutted the electronics, and it's one of my favorite guitars. Every time I pull it out someone comments on either the looks or the tone. It was brand new in 2008.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I personally won't buy boutique guitars any longer, companies like Gibson, Fender, and PRS are making such nice stuff, I stick to the basics. I am a hobbyiest, not a pro so it makes lots more sense. I tried a few 2008 and newer Fender strats and man are they nice. I am going to go to a few different stores and see what I can find and pick the best I can get my hands on.
I see em show up on ebay for a good price but I would rather find a good one, and pay a little more.

What is the 2010 Fender FSR Ltd. American Standard?

What do you guys think is best, fat strat with bridge humbucker or three single coils with the standard American strat?
I play all classic rock, hard rock and the occassional metal. Just about no blues or jazz or anything. How is the Diamond humbucker? As good as any Rio, Duncan, Gibson or Dimarzio? Was thinking of maybe getting a standard 3 single coil strat and if I want can always install a single coil size humbucker.

Thanks!

Last edited:

djg714

The 2011 American Std Stratocaster is a great guitar. I like mine so much I just ordered a matching Am Std Telecaster.....

candid_x

Silver Supporting Member
What do you guys think is best, fat strat with bridge humbucker or three single coils with the standard American strat?
I play all classic rock, hard rock and the occassional metal. Just about no blues or jazz or anything. How is the Diamond humbucker? As good as any Rio, Duncan, Gibson or Dimarzio?
I rarely use a bridge sc pickup alone, but I use the AS's alone a lot. It's clear and warm, especially with the tone control connected to it. I personally like the stock Delta-tone pickups, once the middle pickup is dropped from the tone pot (quick and easy mod).

I was playing mine yesterday and was reminded just how sweet the workmanship is on it. I've mostly been playing my JV lately, and while I flat enjoy playing it, and have no qualms with MIM Strats, it honestly doesn't hold a candle to my MIA Standard in quality or workmanship. Fender got it right in 2008-current. I must however admit, the Callaham goodies bumped it to another level again.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
So the stock bridge single is good you think? How about or hard rock, think Tool, STP, etc....

I guess with the right amp, a single bridge will work. My buddy plays in a band that does classic rock and hard rock and uses a MIJ 1983 SQ Strat with three singles and sounds GREAT!

What do you mean the middle pickup is dropped from the tone pot?

So I guess the 2008 - current are all the same?

Callaham makes that big a change?

I have tried bridge changes, etc on all my guitars, LPs, etc and in a band context never hear much difference.

Trending Topics