2012 ES-339 - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mtnbkr123, May 23, 2020.

1. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

I’ve got an ‘09 339 that’s a great guitar. It’s got the 30/60 neck and is very comfortable. Lots of great tones on tap.

If the one you are considering just needs a good setup, that’s well worth the expense.

2. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

The lust/can't afford is a typical cliché and an insult. And throwing hate in there is just another way to attempt to dismiss any reasonable dialog. Neither is remotely true. I have a ES335. I have an R7. They sit in the closet while my Eastman gets the gigs because it is a better guitar. Period. And my Yamaha and my Reverend for that matter. Those Gibsons didn't always sit in the closet either. They saw plenty of gigs before I wised up. Wising up does not imply hate.

Believe what suits your narrative but the hate because you can't afford em story is a thinly veiled insult and is false.

Steadfastly and HERSCHEL like this.
  3. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Good point. Even though I don't really notice neck widths that much, I shouldn't assume someone with hardwired preferences will do the needed research.

4. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

I don't have '12, have a '13 Memphis, love it, great guitar.
    Haters gonna hate... what really matters is what YOU like.

5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Nobody is hating. Except Gibson defenders. Maybe.

6. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

I love 339s but might prefer to spring for a 335 if I had the cash. OTOH the smaller body of a 339 is probably more ergonomic.

Lucidology likes this.
  7. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I’ve got a 2018 339 that I absolutely love, compares favorably to my vintage Gibsons. It was $1400 US brand new from CME during the Gibson Memphis factory blowouts.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

That's the only way to go ...
    Had a 339 .... Absolutely. Loved it ... The sound & look...
    Found the tapered neck to be so extremely thick as you went to upper frets ...
    That, in my case, unplayable ....

9. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

I wish I could find this out. I have the serial number. I may call the local dealer.

10. Tunesketcher

Tunesketcher Member

Screaming deal on the Boogie! I'd say the 339 @ $2K is a reasonable deal after evaluating exchange rate to US but $1850 would be ideal..good luck..

11. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I have a (sunburst) 339, a 335, a couple of Les Pauls and an Eastman SB59/v. The 339 is my number one humbucking guitar.

edit: sorry my wife walked in and asked me for IT support just when I was writing this! What I meant to add what that the 339 is a great all rounder. I feel that my 339 walks the line between 335 and LP very well. The weight is superb.

The only downside is the lack of access on the upper frets because of the small cutaway. But like any guitar, I think you learn to work around those things.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    JS-29 likes this.
  12. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

Good idea - also, Gibson customer service - they're usually pretty good, if they've got the info.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Member

I love the body size and playability. Unfortunately both mine have been or are Epiphones so I can't help you all that much on a Gibson version but they do compare very favorably with a Gibson version a good friend and jam buddy owns. He even offered me $100 more than I paid for my first one.

I'm not a Gibson hater I'm just typically not looking to spend what Gibson wants for theirs. But my experience with mine has been overwhelmingly favorable despite the fact that they are imports. IME the Epiphone hollow and semi-hollow bodies are among the best they offer so if the Gibson plays well and is in great shape I'd see no reason not to buy it.

14. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

I got a 2008 Gibson Custom shop ES-3399 with
    ’57 Classic humbucker pickups- - absolutely Love this guitar
    [​IMG]

JS-29, bserrill and Sean Mac like this.
  15. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Ok. Slim neck confirmed. Vintage sunburst. Manufactured 2012. Purchased new by the seller in May 2014.

Waiting to hear whether $1750 CDN is a go. If it is, I am going for it.

Thanks tons guys.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yep, mine, also.

I have a 2007, first year in caramel burst.

JS-29 likes this.
  17. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

And, not to bring a storm cloud over the possible NGD party, but that 3X action height would, for me, call for additional drill-down, or the right to return/refund, if I didn't like what I saw. I don't know your ideal action against which 3X is judged, but they typically left the factory in the 5/64 @ 12th range (big E), so either there's a manufacturing misstep (eg, in the neck set angle), or the owner made some adjustments on his own (eg raised the bridge for some reason). If you're checking by phone/pic, I think what you'd want to confirm would be whether there's enough room (threads showing) on the bridge spindles to allow lowering the bridge by 2X the amount you want to reduce the string height at the 12th fret. If the action's high, and the bridge is close to decked, that'd be concerning, to me.

That said, hope it works out great!

18. bserrill

bserrill Supporting Member

I have a ES-339 in Red finish from the Gibson custom shop. I think it is either a 2010 or 2012 model. Great guitar! I have gigged it and used it for different types of applications...clean, heavy, all sorts of material. If you get a good setup on the guitar you should be good to go. To say Eastman is better than Gibson is a bit much...both will have great potential but have to be set up properly. Mine is from the custom shop so has a bit more care when built. I think the Memphis models have been good players too. I'd say yours is a good find at a good price : )

19. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

This is a Custom Shop model too. They all are, but not really. As far as I know, the serial number for every ES-339 begins with “CS”.

I heard back. $1800 CDN. Final sale, as is. No time is being given to bring it anywhere to check it out. They are located 300 kms from where I am. They don’t want the hassle of a conditional sale.

I don’t blame them. Plus the son is leaving in a few days and just wants to unload all the gear for a reasonable price.

I asked for some pics of the action and remaining bridge adjustment.

I may go for it and drive back there now (I was just there Thursday to buy the Mark I and other gear).

20. jbear

jbear Supporting Member

I really liked mine BUT...be aware...if you like to play very high up on the neck, the space between the body horn and next is very tight. There were certain things that I had to play around cuz my hand wouldn't fit. Other than I...loved it.