2012 ES-339 - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mtnbkr123, May 23, 2020.

1. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Not sure if this helps but here are some pics the seller just sent me in response to my request.

I have to drive 2.5 hrs x2 to do this deal. I will need to leave soon if I am doing it.

Any final thoughts from anyone would be most appreciated.

Thank you so much everyone. Your trusted advice is what makes this forum so invaluable.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Not trying to be a buzz-kill, but the one I had looked just like this one, and the action was also set as high. I am very good at doing my own setups, but could not get mine to play well with lower action. I think they set the action high because the fretwork wasn’t that good. You could probably get it to play at lower action, but you should anticipate the cost of a new nut and a fret level. I dumped mine quickly. I am not a Gibson hater, and never had problems with any other Gibson. But I wasn’t at all happy with the Memphis “Custom Shop” quality. Mine was also a 2012 model, but it did have the ‘59 neck. I really wanted to like it, but not bad enough to fix the poor Memphis workmanship.

3. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

That bridge height (amount of adjustment remaining) looks OK, but that action is quite a bit higher than I prefer. Assuming the neck angle's not to blame, then I agree with the poster who said someone's raised the action to prevent fret buzz due to unlevel fret(s) (or, less likely, for extreme slide use??). I'd factor I might need $125-150 USD from my pocket for a fret level into whatever price I ended up paying, if I couldn't nail down the issue on in-person inspection.

If it is a fret issue, that issue on an unplayed guitar surprises me in light of my own experience with my '18 (no issues with mine @ 4/64), the fact that Gibson's been plekking their guitars for more than a decade now, and, finally, Gibson's inspection process for the ES series (they play every fret on every string at the factory action height to ensure no buzzes) which suggests that action, or any fret buzz, wouldn't have left the factory at that height.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

Crap! I checked with the son. The owner played slide guitar on this guitar. He had a stroke and can’t recall too much but he was a steel guitarist primarily. His other amps bear that out. Peavey Nashville. Telonics. Could that be why it’s set high?

5. dave b-4

dave b-4 Member

Thoroughly possible to that the action was purposely set high for slide, then...

6. Mtnbkr123

Mtnbkr123 Member

In his band he played “pedal-steel guitar”.

7. ChrisN

ChrisN Supporting Member

That'd be my guess.

8. yeatzee

yeatzee Member

I had a 2012 and it was a fantastic guitar. Mine had the lowest action I've ever been able to get on a guitar before, it played effortlessly and was actually really bright and chimey. The one thing I didn't like about it were the frets, they were railroad ties so tall and skinny with almost no crown to them. I could barely play bar chords without pulling it out of tune. Ended up getting the frets crowned and it was much better for me. In the end I traded it for my dream guitar an es330 and I have no regrets, however the 339 was a great instrument and I would definitely recommend it for those that don't want the full sized 335. Here's my old one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was a very beautiful guitar in person.

JS-29 and johnnyb128 like this.
  9. DV52

DV52 Member

No need to be sorry Sir !!
    You asked about a specific guitar. one that you have access to
    You did not ask about Eastman (they are nice. I almost got one) .
    I have played a 339 and they are very nice. I would have bought it but we needed a new truck( that story is in here in another post and is funny) .

10. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

You can get a brand new one for well under $2k If you know how to haggle

11. DV52

DV52 Member

The problem is the OP asked about a guitar that he access to , he was not asking either , or which is the best bang for the buck . I have played Eastman Guitars and the are fine guitars.

12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Then I would suggest, don't buy that ES339.