2012 SXSW

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by hellbender, Feb 21, 2012.

1. hellbender

hellbender Member

Friends called and want us to visit them and attend SXSW in March. I have never been there. It looks like a single pass just to see the music is $750 for all 6 days. No day passes are offered that I can see anywhere on the site.

Anyone have experience with this festival. From the website, it looks insane.

2. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

Played it in 08, and 09. I thought 2008 was terrible, the next year it was even worse. It's a huge cluster*&^%. I'm sure it's great for those non musicians that attend... Those who try to promote themselves in the industry, or those who are interactive artists and designers presenting their work. For musicians, it's chaos. Also, it's nearly impossible to get a showcase without a record label backing you. It used to be different, but it's now become massive a corporate entity. Overpriced and overhyped. I'm sure the locals in Austin hate it.

3. hellbender

hellbender Member

OK....well...That brings some clarity to the subject

thanks...

4. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

If you like standing in lines at clubs, it should be right up your alley.

Seriously, when I lived in Austin we all sort of regarded it as the worst week of the year. If you want to go have a great time, see lots of great bands, meet interesting and friendly people, and enjoy one of the U.S.'s great cities, pick one of the other 51 weeks of the year.

5. halcyon85

halcyon85 Member

You can see some good shows without buying a pass. Lots of bands do free shows in addition to their showcases. If you know someone in a band you might be able to get on the guest list for a showcase and get in free.

It can be chaotic, especially if you have a bunch of bands you're wanting to see, but if you're an indie fan you can kill a bunch of birds with one stone, and maybe even run into Bill Murray. :rotflmao

6. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

I've played it many times a guitarist (not too fun, but a couple of interesting ones...very cattle call like) and attended as a label/music industry "executive" doing business (very successful and convenient 'cause lots of folks from all over the world are there). SXSW has changed A LOT over the years and last year was simply too big (and there are plenty of reports about last year's problems).

All that said, it is a GREAT festival for interactive, film and music. There is a good deal of overlap (interactive is now the biggest part of the festival). There are a LOT of free shows and great information (online, on the street and in print) to help find stuff. Sure, its crowded and traffic sucks, cell service can get bogged down and there are lines for the killer shows (and there still are killer shows). Wrist bands can be bought for music shows (way less than a music badge, under $150 I think). Austin is a GREAT town...lots of good venues, lots of good food, creative folks from all over the world wandering around in various states of consciousness and coherence...what's not to like?!?!?

Its intense and if you go with a plan and/or the right attitude, you can get a lot out of it. It could also SUCK big time. Kind of up to how you approach it and how you "attend it."

7. Marble

Marble Member

just crash the gates

8. Xabiche

Xabiche Member

I live in Austin and love it. Been going for years. Yeah, it's a lot bigger and crazier now, but that's okay.

You should be able to get a wristband for around $170... ?

And yeah, there are *lots* of free shows during the day and each night. Not all venues participate officially but they still load up with bands.

9. Xabiche

Xabiche Member

Our only rule is to never, ever wait in a line. There are plenty of bands within short walking distance with no lines, so we always have 2nd & 3rd backups for any given time slot. If there's a big name you must see, then just get to the venue early when it's easy to get in and spend the evening there.

I love it, but others *hate* it :)

10. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

It's a great time to play gigs in Dallas or Houston.

11. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

That one sentence pretty much encapsulates it. There are lots of cool things but you have to deal with some annoying things to get to them.

12. Xabiche

Xabiche Member

13. Mark EL

Mark EL Supporting Member

The really nice thing about it is that it's over spring break so much of the population can leave town for the week and never know it came and went. Unless you fly in and out in which case it's good costume watching at the airport! ;)

14. Sonic Bullets

Sonic Bullets Member

The musicians we have worked with played in past and are playing this year. They have told us that the exposure that they have had to multiple genre of interests (film, interactive, and music) is awesome as well as the energy of the crowds. For us, just being able to talk one-on-one with musicians, and to see them perform live is going to be the best reward.

Hope you come by our booth (408) at the Music Gear Expo. We posted an announcement here on TGP about Faster Than Bullet: SLUG DIY Challenge, if you are interested in learning more.

We are right across the aisle from Monster and within booths of Mogami. It will be great way to some real comparison research for dedicated audiophiles!

15. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

I was in an acoustic group a few years back and after playing at some place we were approached by someone handling a stage. We were asked if we were interested and went with it. The lead singer sort of handled it and I ended up finding out a week away that it was going to cost US $350 not to mention the drive to get there and all. I then found out a lot of bands pay for the opportunity and was really put off by it. I could have been lied to and ripped off but I don't really care to dig deeper than I've already been.

Its nothing more than a cool thing to say "I played SXSW" as the entire experience was horrible. 25 minutes on a stage with a drunken soundguy who failed to pay attention to the fact you cant run an acoustic at 110dB in a 20x20 space with subs cranked to the moon. Couldn't get through two of our songs because the lower strings did nothing but feedback.

AFTER we played, it was fun walking around hearing the different acts before driving home. All in all??... Its

16. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

I have lived in Austin most of my adult like. It is too big and too crazy for me to deal with now. It is not fun anymore at all. I stay away from downtown when the festival is in town.

17. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

that's the ticket.

18. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

My lady just informed she will be attending. I guess she doesn't share my painful memories of playing in 08 and 09. If you have the $$ and all access badges, I guess it's a blast for those that don't have to actually play.