2014 Am Std Strat Floating Bridge Height

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottrolf, Jan 30, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I just took delivery of my 2014 Am Std Strat (Olympic White w/rosewood fretboard) and immediately set it up with my strings of choice, adjusted the string height, checked the attention and neck relief. All systems go. I plugged into my Komet 60 and was very pleased with the performance.

This is actually my first Tremolo-style guitar and was taking note of the bridge height off the body. It just seemed... high to me (although I don't have anything to compare it to). I looked up the specs from Fender and they recommend 1/8". After a quick check, this appease to be just a bit higher than that. It plays great and stays in tune and I'm enjoying using the Tremolo feature. The bridge height adjustment procedure looks a bit daunting and am really wondering if I should mess with it.

Any advice from a fellow modern Am Std Strat owner would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. dohmar

dohmar Member

Its pretty easy, just adjust the 2 pole pieces that the tremolo floats on. Lower the action until you get fret buzz then raise it 1/16th an inch. Play it. Adjust it again. play it again, adjust it some more. Experiment with more or less springs in the tremolo cavity - you might like the action looser or tighter. Best thing about AM stds is that anyone can alter the settings gradually and find their own sweet spot. Youtube has some great videos on how to do your own setup - if you've never done your own setup its definately one of the first things I'd recommend you learn to do

-D

3. mango

mango Member

read what you wrote again

4. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

i.e. If it works don't fix it? Is that what you mean?

5. wcfields

wcfields Member

I don't get it either. He wants to adjust the bridge height because it appears to be a bit higher than it should be. What are you trying to say? His post is very clear....

6. mango

mango Member

yup,that's what I meant.
    He said it appears to be a little higher than the 1/8 spec,he also said he adjusted the string height,action and relief and it plays great and stays in tune,seems to me it doesn't really need adjustment.
    Not saying he couldn't try to adjust it,just that it doesn't seem like it really needs it.
    Sometimes people get too hung up on spec details IMO.
    I've never been a measurer though,I do mine by feel.

7. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Go to you tube and search frudua strat setup He's an Italian tech and his videos were a great help when i was setting up my strats.

8. scottrolf

scottrolf Member

I did watch that video and other sources as well.
    In every instance there would appear to be much more involved than just tightening (or loosening) the two spring claw adjustment screws until the bride achieves the desired height. I get that the bridge needs to remain parallel in relation to the body and adjusting one screw more than the other would alter this, but I would think that turning each one incrementally the same number of turns would keep the bridge equidistant from the body end to end.