2014 Gibson R8 vs 2007 R8

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hhawkins, May 9, 2015.

1. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

I have the chance to buy either one of these. The 2014 will cost me slightly more. I won't get a chance to play either of them because there is no one in my area who stocks Gibson guitars.

Has anyone any input into which might be a better buy? I know the 2014 ones have custom buckers, hot hide glue etc etc. but sound wise and feel wise, are they much the same?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

Unless you need the lowest possible price get the '14. Better electronics (pots and caps), supposedly better pickups, more accurate plastic bits, and wireless ABR-1. Plus the '14 will be a bit flamey while the '07 is likely a plaintop.

I'd be willing to bet that they feel and sound pretty similar despite the different pickups. A Les Paul sounds like a Les Paul. The only advantage the '07 would have, if you can call it that, is the mahogany. Many, including a former Gibson CS employee (TGPer "murkat"), have said that Gibson got a particularly good batch of 'hog at that time and was used in the '07s. What that's worth to you only you can decide.

I play an '07 R0 that is completely stock fwiw. Killer guitar. Don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

3. hhawkins

hhawkins Member

Thanks for the info. Yeh, I have also read that the mahogany being used was of better quality than the stuff they use nowadays.

The top doesn't bother me that much. I actually think the plain top looks pretty nice.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

One thing I've learned after many years in the game is to judge each individual guitar on its own merits and believe in what your own ears & hands tell you. With the exact same specs, guitars can play & sound very differently. IMO, if you can't play a guitar, you might as well flip a coin or buy the one with the best visual appeal. Then, at the very least, get a reasonable approval period.

5. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

If unable to try then I would buy 2014.

Better specs in general. And despite the nay Sayers that state otherwise the historic division is putting out really consistent guitars the past few years imo.

6. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I think if I was unable to try, I'd take the 2007. I'm positive the 2014 is great, but I think there is more of a chance of a 2007 being exceptional.

7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

If the 2014 is slightly more, then that 2007 is way overpriced.

8. StealthHunter

StealthHunter Member

The neck on the '07 will be meatier. My smallish hands prefer the C shape of the '13s and '14s over the older D shape.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I've owned an '07 and a '13. While I love the '13, the '07 was probably the best humbucker Les Paul I've ever played. It was a Chambered R8 with an R9 neck and unpotted BB's.

There is an anomaly with the '07's that rarely gets mentioned. The tops are generally too flat , so it makes the low neck set angle and bridge height a problem. I had to install a USA sized bridge pickup ring to get the action where I wanted. I've seen more '07's like this, and it was discussed in '07 on LPF.

Sight unseen, I'd take the '14. I really like the CB's, and the '13/'14's that I've played have been consistent.

The action was still a tad high with the bridge this low on my '07.
    [​IMG]

10. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I have an 07 r9. Top is nothing to write home about. But it is a screamer. I can't say anything about the guitar you are looking at but it may not have the goods since it's an 07 for sale. I know my wife or kids will be selling mine.

11. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

I have stated a many times,
    the 2007's (most) have the best mahogany I have ever seen while I worked there.

12. tuumbaq

tuumbaq Member

funny, based on my own experience I think the exact opposite...2014's were much , MUCH more consistent than 2007

13. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

The 2014s are fantastic - love mine!

14. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

You will only get people saying their R8 year is the best because they own one.
    I own a '07 R8 too, and it's the best R8 I've ever played.;) The truth is all R8's are great guitars regardless of what year.

Play them both and go with what feels right to you.
    If you are buying online, and there's only slight price difference, I'd get the '14 as if you don't like it you can probably get more money back when selling it.

15. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

Sure, but the specs on the 2013s and 2014s are better than previous years. Of course, a fantastic 2007 is going to beat out a mediocre 2014, no matter the difference in specs, but on average the 2013s and 2014s have been particularly nice guitars - a step up from previous years.

16. zz_marcello

zz_marcello Member

I own a 2007 SG Custom and a 2013 SG Custom Shop. The 2013 has clearly the better specs and also built quality.
    The Custom Buckers in the 2013-2014 are clearly the better PAF pickups for me. Tuners are more accurate, bridge is more accurate. For a small price difference and same top I would go for the 2013+ historics.

17. Jay K

Jay K Member

I have a few Les Paul Historics built in 2013 and 2014 but have not played earlier versions so cannot provide a direct comparison. I will say that I restricted my searches for the Historics to 2013 and 2014 owing to what I read in a number of threads like this one as well as information available elsewhere, such as in independent reviews and on Gibson's website.

I concluded that for an internet purchase, 2013 and after Historics were the safest bet. I also was influenced by the fact one of the selling points of these guitars is they are "Historics" and I therefore preferred to buy those that were closest in specs to the originals; others might not care so much about this latter consideration, however. In any event I have not been disappointed in the 2013 and 2014 Historics I purchased , although as above can't provide a direct comparison from experience with guitars from the different model years.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  18. Flugel

Flugel Member

Unless you buy a new 2015 True Historic you are buying a fake.:bounce

19. Evan_R

Evan_R Member

I have a 2013 R8 and the custombuckers are awesome. Based on that alone id lean towards the 2014. What pickups are in the 07?

20. RJLII

RJLII Member

I have an '07 Plaintop and it's a great guitar. Not too heavy, great neck carve, and Burstbuckers. Plus, it will be vintage 7 years earlier than a '14 :D

[​IMG]