2014 Les Paul Traditional

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
Anybody tried these yet? Thoughts? What do think of the new '59 pickups?

Funky Chicken

Silver Supporting Member
I played one at GC last week. Very nice guitar. Then I bought a 2013 in the emporium for a LOT less than the MAP of a new '14.
It's not like people are complaining about the '57s in last years model, and I got a finish that was discontinued (light burst). Oh, I also avoided the heinous 12th fret inlay.
The 2013s which are highly regarded were blown out in mid November in a matter of days at prices as low as $1429. A bunch of them were bought to flip or bought by first time LP owners that are finding the 50s neck overwhelming. A Nice mix of them on ebay, local CLs, and right here.
I also looked at 2011s which were weight relieved (2013s are not), but skipped over the 12s to avoid the laminated fretboard, less for the fretboard itself than for the bad press Gibson got that year.
Mine should arrive later this week, ice storm permitting.

Last edited:

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks FC!

What did you think of the 14s pickups vs the 57s in yours? Similar feel to your 2013 overall? How is/was tuning? Hear bad things about Gibson tuning quality.

Funky Chicken

Silver Supporting Member
So-I am awaiting delivery of my 2013. Just finished the transaction yesterday.
When I played the '14 thru a Princeton Reissue and a Hot Rod Deluxe at GC I thought the '59s sounded fine. I don't really have a basis for comparison to the '57s but I figure that if the rest of the guitar works out I can always switch pickups and still be in way cheaper than a new one.
The '14 seemed to hold tune well once I gave the strings a good stretch. I suspect that the guitar came out of the box and went on the wall without much attention. That said, the setup was fine and the general QC was good. I didn't really fine tooth comb the guitar for finish flaws-my main objective was to see how I felt about a non weight relieved LP and the '50s neck. I adjusted really well, considering my other instruments and the fact that I have somehow avoided Les Paul ownership for 35 years.
I had been thinking about pricier alternatives, either a Historic LP or a PRS derivative like an SC58/245, but it seemed like I should get my feet wet with a Trad first. Multi-LP owners seem to think they are great at the price point and the difference between a used Trad and some of the other guitars I was looking at pays for a whole other guitar (I have bad GAS for a Rickenbacker 660-12).

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
FC - I'm in the same exact boat - never had a LP, have had PRSs (which I really like) and am debating SC245 vs LP vs Historic, especially since I cant get my hands on a Trad/Historic to try and LPs are known for varying in quality and tuning issues. My experience with PRS is that they have better QA/QC and consistency. But I love a LP tone! Let me know how you like your new axe - heard nothing but good things about the 2013s. The 2014 inlay is not a big deal to me, though I'd prefer without it.

scott520

Silver Supporting Member
FC - I'm in the same exact boat - never had a LP, have had PRSs (which I really like) and am debating SC245 vs LP vs Historic, especially since I cant get my hands on a Trad/Historic to try and LPs are known for varying in quality and tuning issues. My experience with PRS is that they have better QA/QC and consistency. But I love a LP tone! Let me know how you like your new axe - heard nothing but good things about the 2013s. The 2014 inlay is not a big deal to me, though I'd prefer without it.
I've had several LP's and currently have a Ted McCarty sc245 (the 2nd I've owned) that I absolutely adore. I sold an r9 and a custom after finding this particular PRS model. It felt like home and the tone was just fantastic. This particular model is a bit different from the other 245s in that it has a 100% nitro finish, solid IRW neck and isn't weight relieved or chambered. I'm not sure that those things in and of themselves are the reason I like it more than previous 245's but whatever it was, it had me hooked within a few seconds of playing it.

Now, with that being said, I am jonesing a bit for an LP despite being broke as a joke. It's a bit more raw, less refined than the PRS and it's not so much something that I miss when playing clean. However, when playing with overdrive, the LP has a bite that the PRS can't nail 100%. Don't get me wrong, the PRS can get plenty nasty, but not with the same character as a good LP. For me personally, the PRS made more sense as the material I play rarely calls for overdrive/distortion. The cleans and edge-of-breakup tones are what won me over.

patentcad

Gibson Custon Shop LP Historic tone seems quite different and ballsier to me than any Gibson USA LP I've tried or owned. I have an R8 now. Love it.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
Got a chance to try a 2014 Traditional today (along with a Chris Cornell 335). The 2014 felt great and had some nice clean tones. O.drive sounded good too but I did note that there was a lot of high end so I needed to turn the tone knob to about 5 to cut it back enough. Is that common with LPs in general? Or is it the new 59 pickups?

RocknPop

Silver Supporting Member
Anybody tried these yet? Thoughts? What do think of the new '59 pickups?
I played one today. I was sadly underwhelmed, I expected the 59s to sound much better than they did. I didn't notice a significant difference, at least not one that made me want to buy the guitar immediately (I was ready to buy too).

On the other hand, I did play a Classic and I did like everything about it except the 60s neck.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah I'm wondering if the 59s is what set me back a bit. The overall construction and feel on the one I played was nice. Has anyone compared these with the 2013 that has the 57's (I believe?). Tonal differences observed?

RocknPop

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I'm wondering if the 59s is what set me back a bit. The overall construction and feel on the one I played was nice. Has anyone compared these with the 2013 that has the 57's (I believe?). Tonal differences observed?
I played then back to back. The 59s were only marginally different than the 57s. Personally, I might just be used to the 57s and preferred them... I was playing through a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Jimi1983

Gold Supporting Member
What was the marginal difference to your ears? I thought the 59's had some great elements just a bit too bright to my ears, and the need to back off so much on the tone control is not my experience with my PRSs to that degree (I'm a newbie to LPs so maybe that is more of a norm?). Could have been the combo of it with 900 series Marshall I played it through. Also got to play it clean thru a Marshall Bluesbreaker and that sounded real nice for clean tones.

I really liked the feel and playability of it (despite limited upper fret access due to the heel). Maybe a pickup change might be in order for me if I get it - I'm looking more for classic 60/70's rock and modern blues tones - hardest rock tones would be Zepp/Rush type stuff - w/ more tones in the Cream/Bonamassa range.

RocknPop

Silver Supporting Member
What was the marginal difference to your ears? I thought the 59's had some great elements just a bit too bright to my ears, and the need to back off so much on the tone control is not my experience with my PRSs to that degree (I'm a newbie to LPs so maybe that is more of a norm?). Could have been the combo of it with 900 series Marshall I played it through. Also got to play it clean thru a Marshall Bluesbreaker and that sounded real nice for clean tones.

I really liked the feel and playability of it (despite limited upper fret access due to the heel). Maybe a pickup change might be in order for me if I get it - I'm looking more for classic 60/70's rock and modern blues tones - hardest rock tones would be Zepp/Rush type stuff - w/ more tones in the Cream/Bonamassa range.
The difference to me was the 59s were a little more dynamic (hard to explain, the 57s sounded a bit more 'even'-ish), but not by much. I'd suggest you look at an R7 or R8. I played a VOS goldtop 57 after fiddling with the traditionals and I was very impressed.

Trending Topics