• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

2014 Stagecoach Country Festival - My observations

Ladera

I watched every minute of the 2014 Stagecoach Country Festival on TV which was about 20 hours of TV time I spent over the past 3 or 4 days.

Lots of good old school acts and of course new bands.

The bands I want to talk about are Brantley Gilbert, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line and Luke Bryan.

Of all those bands I liked Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line the best.

Here is why. The other bands had at least two guitar players playing with as much gain and volume as Tony Iommi. The guitars were so loud you could not hear many of the other musicians.

Why even have a keyboard, pedal steel, banjo, mando or fiddle player on stage if they can't be heard over the humbucker guitars and EVH 100 watt amps?

Did anyone else notice that?

loudboy

Why even have a keyboard, pedal steel, banjo, mando or fiddle player on stage if they can't be heard over the humbucker guitars and EVH 100 watt amps?

Cuz it ain't country w/out them?

Were there lots of cowboy hats and songs about trucks and swimmin' holes?

cpike

Only watched a small fraction of it, but the younger guys' bands seemed to have overly loud, heavily-overdriven guitar sounds, and I couldn't understand a word they were singing. Don't get me wrong, being an old metalhead, I have nothing against those kinds of sounds, but it seemed kinda overcooked in that context.

Having heard some of the same songs on the radio, my guess is they rock it up live to appeal to younger audiences. If these guys were to put out live records that sound like Stagecoach, I can't imagine they'd get much play on the local nu-country station.

Ladera

Cuz it ain't country w/out them?

Were there lots of cowboy hats and songs about trucks and swimmin' holes?

All kinds of hats and not too many songs about trucks.

I'll tell you this much. Lots of women in attendance unlike a metal festival.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Having heard some of the same songs on the radio, my guess is they rock it up live to appeal to younger audiences. If these guys were to put out live records that sound like Stagecoach, I can't imagine they'd get much play on the local nu-country station.

They play the songs live exactly like they are on the record.

Heavy distorted guitars and drop tunings are a standard part of country radio these days.

Ladera

Only watched a small fraction of it, but the younger guys' bands seemed to have overly loud, heavily-overdriven guitar sounds, and I couldn't understand a word they were singing. Don't get me wrong, being an old metalhead, I have nothing against those kinds of sounds, but it seemed kinda overcooked in that context.

Loud guitars for a young crowrd makes an unpleasant concert for any fans.

There were lots of young bands and they had a great mix and I could hear all of the instrument properly in the mix.

Ladera

They play the songs live exactly like they are on the record.

Heavy distorted guitars and drop tunings are a standard part of country radio these days.

Like I said some of the bands kept their distorted guitars in check and I could hear the more traditional instruments just fine.

Other bands sounded like Black Sabbath on their first tour. In other words like crap.

saneff

Silver Supporting Member
And what got me is some of these bands like Brantley Gilbert's and Eric Church and some of them (I can't remember) have guitar players and drummers with massive mohawks and dreads down past their butt. And the guitar players played in that spread leg metal pose a lot. There was nothing "country" at all about most of the backing bands.

I will say, I like country music and like most of today's music but I often have to block out the lyrics in my mind.

Also, Kurt Allison who is the lead player for Jason Aldean, is a killer player. I have been watching him for a few years, and that guy is seriously good.

Twangmaster

Aldean played a good set, if you like him. Luke had the crowd, no doubt about that... I swear he's no more than a big kid inside. Lots of Garth Brooks influence there for sure. Overall, a pretty good show. Yes, the handwriting is on the wall... If you want to make the women happy, y'all better be learning that 'nu country' stuff in a big hurry!

Most touching moment for me... John Prine doing Hello in There. I hadn't seen him in about 30 years. Glad he's still with us.

whitehall

It's fun seeing it live on tv but I wish AXS would do some editing and make a show. They did the same thing with Coachella. I think they had 20 hours of coverage.

BigSB

Don't worry... the Mohawk hairdos and Marshalls will go the way of the Steinbergers and Reebok high-tops I've seen on "country" players in videos from the 80s.

The steel, fiddle and chicken-picking guitarists will still be here when the latest fad-dust settles.

hubberjub

Don't worry... the Mohawk hairdos and Marshalls will go the way of the Steinbergers and Reebok high-tops I've seen on "country" players in videos from the 80s.

Maybe the new country players should just see how far they can take it. Maybe they should just bring back the Steinbergers and ADA stacks.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
It's fun seeing it live on tv but I wish AXS would do some editing and make a show. They did the same thing with Coachella. I think they had 20 hours of coverage.

I directed part of the Coachella coverage for AXS and you bring up a good point. It's a tough compromise.
It kind of like the Olympics. Some people want the edited highlights, others want to watch the whole event uncut.
In the past AXS would have edited together a 1 hr show if they had the budget but they've found that fans don't want edited highlights.
They want as much music as possible that way they can see it all and decide what they like instead of AXS being the "tastemaker".
Of course they still had edited highlights, but they tried to present as many
of the major acts complete sets as possible.

MikeVB

I love, love, love John Prine, but wondered who the hell thought the audience for every other act at Stagecoach would have even heard of him.

Seemed like a weird booking.

jammybastard

"I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."
Gold Supporting Member
I love, love, love John Prine, but wondered who the hell thought the audience for every other act at Stagecoach would have even heard of him.

Seemed like a weird booking.

He's a regular at ACL Fest as well.
They spread it out because country fans are actually pretty diverse.
Some like the old(er) pre-corporate, pre-pop guard like Prine, Willy, Emmy Lou, Kristofferson, Lovett, etc...

jtm622

H-m-m-m-m...
Based on that show alone, it sure seems like GUITAR SOLOS are finally making a long overdue comeback!

:)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom