• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

2015 Gibson Price Increase and Other Really BAD Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

larimar

Speaking of the above vid... the demo guy mentioned using the G-force in the studio.... which makes me curious as to it's accuracy... anyone now how accurate it is?

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Silver Supporting Member
The insane price hike on the standard that far outpaces the increases of the other models makes me think they are trying to rebrand the standard.

larimar

The insane price hike on the standard that far outpaces the increases of the other models makes me think they are trying to rebrand the standard.

They should rebrand it as the "Standard" like Fender has their AmSt guitar, which tips it's hat back to the old days while adding some new modern (mostly unobtrusive) features as time marches on... Tone pot connected to bridge pup, no load pots, rolled fret boards, modern 9.5 neck rad', staggered tuners, custom shop pups, two point trem etc.

But the PRICE has to be reasonable of course.... I have no idea what that should be though.

TattooedCarrot

Ferro Picta Carota
Silver Supporting Member
They should rebrand it as the "Standard" like Fender has their AmSt guitar, which tips it's hat back to the old days while adding some new modern (mostly unobtrusive) features as time marches on... Tone pot connected to bridge pup, no load pots, rolled fret boards, modern 9.5 neck rad', staggered tuners, custom shop pups, two point trem etc.

But the PRICE has to be reasonable of course.... I have no idea what that should be though.
My point was that they are rebranding it to be on a level equal or close to the Historic line, but with the modern features. So far, their high end line has all been Historic, now they are moving a more modern styled guitar into that bracket and it appears to be the new standard.

markflo

So i finally tried them. I really didn't mind some of the new features like the new nut and the les paul 100 logo. The deal breakers for me are the wider neck and the lower frets. I suspended all judgement prior to trying them out. Unfortunately, they didn't work for me. I tried the jr, sg, special, traditional & the deluxe. The robo tuners, i like them but i think the guitar needs to be really well intonated for it to perform well.

Last edited:

Johnny2013

I dont understand why they give the whole lineup the same features. Why not have a range of neck shapes available?

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member

i agree.
they are trying to rebrand the standard, trying to make her look like the most desirable.

in fact the gap in price between the traditional and the standard now is huge. last year was 200$.

larimar

My point was that they are rebranding it to be on a level equal or close to the Historic line, but with the modern features. So far, their high end line has all been Historic, now they are moving a more modern styled guitar into that bracket and it appears to be the new standard.

Ahhh.... I get ya now! Ya, Could be.

Dale

Well, I will check the "new" out when I hit them. However I have to say Carvin, Heritage and ESP Traditions have become far more interesting.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Probably the largest group of people who recognize dubious "innovations" and rampant price gouging for what they are.

Gibson anxiously awaits your $4000.
You've got to be kidding, right?

$500+ per set PAF reproductions (kind of depends on how old you want the covers to look)?

$10k plus "boutique" les paul copies?

Klons?

$3k plus partscasters?

Plus all the the other magic accessories (trem springs, caps, etc.).

Guitarists are as likely to buy snake oil as anyone else, and way more likely to see any innovation as "dubious". IMO the typical guitar buyer is more slavish to brands and famous people's opinions than most consumers, and far less likely to think for himself.

TMG awaits your $3k...

Last edited:

bluegrif

Silver Supporting Member
First of all, those who have tried the tuning system on a floor model and claim it doesn't work and "sucks" directly contradicts the real world information I've gotten from someone who uses one regularly, onstage, to access multiple tunings on the fly (although his is a Tele version from Tronical, but same system). The guitar must be properly set up, and (at least with the Min-Etune version) there's a tradeoff between speed and accuracy, which is adjustable. I get not having any need for the system. I get not liking the looks or the way the tuners work manually. All that is understood and should go without saying. But my information is the system works as advertised and is accurate if set up properly.

While nobody likes price increases, I'm encouraged by the reports of excellent fit, finish, and setup on the 2015 models. My biggest complaint with the company has been the many examples of poor workmanship, QC, and even some serious build quality issues on earlier models. My repair guy (whom I've used for 25 years) can site numerous examples of badly built Gibsons necessitating expensive repairs (including one of my own). So correcting that is huge in my view.

As for the low end models which seem to be disappearing, I never found those appealing anyway. Those seemed to be an effort to compete with the imports but honestly, within the same price range, the imports are better in my opinion. Folks buy the low end Gibsons because they want to buy a "real", US made Gibson, but the amount of guitar you get from Reverend, PRS SE, Ibanez, Cort, you name it, renders those low end Gibsons a poor value IMO. Of course they may be just right for you, and if so, great. But take away the Gibson history and country of origin and its hard to imagine those being competitive at all. Perhaps they aren't very profitable for Gibson and the company has realized that market price point doesn't make sense for them (pure speculation of course).

M

Member 37136

Not a contradiction- old/vintage repro = "magic", new = bad.
While sweeping generalizations are tempting to make, they usually don't hold up to much scrutiny, as many of the posts in this thread demonstrate. The criticism of Gibson's latest "innovations" has more to to with their functionality and design than simply their newness.

Simply put, not every innovation is an improvement, and not everyone who views them cautiously is a luddite.

I applaud the Plek machine, coil-splitting, weight relief, and locking bridges and tailpieces, because they've proven to be well-executed and useful. Zero frets, lower frets, and G-Force, not so much. Paint with whatever broad brushes you need to, but don't assume they're accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom