2015 Suhr Classic Antique

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ericprsse, Jan 23, 2015.

1. ericprsse

ericprsse Member

Anyone else noticing the updates to Suhr's Classic Antique model?

Appears like they've added the silent system and stainless steel frets, along with maple fingerboard options... Good upgrades IMO.

They also seem to have ditched the roasted maple necks and are instead using nitro lacquer. I'm no expert, but this is a bit of a bummer to me, as (I think) I would prefer the more satin-backed roasted neck. If the nitro lacquer is anything like the finish on my Fender EJ strat, it's just too gummy to get along with at times!

Based on the website picture, seems like they've also scaled-down the relicing; I think it looks awesome!

As someone who's been gassing for a Suhr HSS classic, these new bells and whistles seriously complicate things. Good problems to have I suppose...

2. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

The original line of Suhr Antiques had nitro finishes. I played a couple, and the necks were very smooth. Very nice "broken in" feel and not sticky at all. I would assume the current production would have a similar neck finish.

You could likely still order one with roasted maple, if you'd prefer.

3. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

I checked the Suhr website and don't see the Antiques with the older specs - do you have a link to the new page?

4. ericprsse

ericprsse Member