2015 Van Halen Concord, CA 7/9/2015 - Audio

JohnnyGtar

2015 Van Halen Concord, CA 7/9/2015 - Audio

JAW, MEET FLOOR.

I think the Apocalypse just may be upon us...

I'm about 20 minutes into this show and I'm STUNNED, and Dave is actually kickin' ass.
The Toastmaster General of Rock and Roll is BACK!
The band is playing with fangs bared. Ragged in a very few spots, it's but a cool ragged. This is "Kill the guy with the ball".
I never dared hope for it to be this good.
Ed? He's playin' here like a finely tuned Maserati.
If these are the new EL-34 5150's he's playing, I'm sold.
Imagine the all the fire of first tour in '78 with 40 years experience under their belts and Roth's cocky attitude and wit from the 80's. He hits a few clams, but overall? Look out. DAVID.LEE.ROTH is back. Wow. Just WOW. If I'm dreaming, don't wake me up.

If you're cynical, I don't blame you, but I'll bet this will change your mind.

This is what greatness sounds like. Enjoy!

Update: I'm at the 45 minute mark. It's... just... so... incredible...

Update: 1:07 mark. Gaaahhhh......... In a simple rhyme! It CAN'T be this good. It just CAN'T. :-D

Update: 1:24 mark. Killer acoustic solo bit/fireside chat (Roth is the Mark Twain of rock and roll IMO) into great version of Ice Cream Man. I really do think Ed is using the new EL-34 5150 amps. The magic in the tone is THERE again, at least to my ears.

Update: 1:48 mark. Ed's solo the is best I've ever heard him do. You really got me sounds like the kid in his early twenties with the lightning fingers and the brain of a mad scientist that we all venerate. Yes, THAT guy has returned to us! Next up is Panama. I am bored silly of that song, but this take is raw, and I finally dig hearing it. (I hate his Panama tone on '1984', but with Ed's raw screaming vibe here, the song takes on a dimension that I really like.)

Update: 1:55 mark. What the hell is this... a version of Jump that I actually like? I was burned out on this tune, but danged if they didn't turbocharge this sucker. (Another case of me hating the sounds on the '1984' record. LOL)

I LOVE THIS BAND. :cool::)

Last edited:
This show is pretty great - only problem is that you can't really hear Wolfie in this recording. He's really great, and to me where the extra energy comes from.

JohnnyGtar

Yeah, I totally agree. The man does his father proud. He is a monster musician in is own right. And his vocal abilities are sharpened... these are the best sounding vocals I'm heard him do. He's really locked with his Dad. I'm very, very happy with Van Halen Mark IV.
Wolf is reason Ed's still playing, and he writes the set lists, too. I love that kid! He really gets VH from a fan's viewpoint.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
They sound GREAT. I was a huge VH fan with DLR. Not so much with Sammy, but some of it was still pretty cool. Then I tuned them out completely after the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge album...that one was almost unlistenable...and haven't listened since. What I just heard sounds like it could be an 80s bootleg. Honestly, I'm surprised it sounds so good with Wolfgang. Not to take anything away from Michael Anthony, but other than missing some of the really high backup vocals, I really can't tell. I guess it's good for him he's off doing other things where he gets the more prominent roll he deserves.

n9ne

Definitely the best live recordings I've heard from DLR....miles beyond the arrhythmic and mildly atonal performances we've heard from him in the past.

The band sounds really sharp, and I absolutely loved that they pulled out a few long-lost "deep tracks"....some of which I don't remember ever hearing performed live. (I've seen them live a number of times, and I don't recall ever seeing them do In a Simple Rhyme or Dirty Movies.)

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
They really sound incredible this time around. A recent example

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
very kewl stuff

Now I actually wish they would throw in a van Haggar sound and YES im serious

kingbobalou

Wow that sounds excellent!!!!!! Just great awww yeess. Ed sounds fantastic. Wolfe is good on bass too no lie. Actually glad Dave is back with the band and sounding good.

They rawk!!!

Jube2550

Still amazed ar Dirty Movies at around 14:50, thanks Wolfs for pushin Ed. Are my ears playing tricks or is Dave doing pretty dang decent considering all the vocal strife, still just Dave with age, I may have to get tickets.

67blackcherry

All of the above!!!
So good to hear them as a band and as individuals firing on all cylinders. That's one finely tuned, carbureted Ferrari V12 at full throttle in all it's glory...

Tylenol Jones

Sure miss those harmonies, though. Just a shame how EVH treated the bass player who largely made the band what it is today. Remove the harmonies and the VH sound is very different (to me, anyway).

R3deemed

It helps to lower Dave in the mix a bit so he's not too prevalent. He does sound pretty good through Light Up the Sky.