• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

2015 What are your favorite high end cables for guitar effects?

Rafterman

Gold Supporting Member
I am putting together a pedal board and I was wondering what effect cables you guys are using these days.

I love using Evidence cables but I am looking for recommendations. Thanks!

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
I use Lava mini ELC with G&H plugs for pretty much everything. Some Van Den Hul and Canare but mostly Lava. I DIY all my own though. The prices for premade cables from Lava are way out of hand compared to the prices when they started out.

JazzGtr

Considering that my big board have 13 pedals, plus I use the effects loop with my amp, plus the amp input and guitar output, I chose Monster Jazz cables for every connection. $700 worth of cables, the price I paid to keep my tone. I must be crazy now that I think about it.

Jazz,

whoismarykelly

Considering that my big board have 13 pedals, plus I use the effects loop with my amp, plus the amp input and guitar output, I chose Monster Jazz cables for every connection. $700 worth of cables, the price I paid to keep my tone. I must be crazy now that I think about it.

Jazz,
That's really the price you pay for lifetime replacement and marketing. You could have better sounding cables that can be easily repaired for 1/4 of that cost.

Gumbygreeneye

Stick with Evidence mate coming from someone who has Van den Hul and Lava ELC and Ultramafic.

Ultimately, it's an easier product to use if you're using solder less cables.

Otherwise bear in mind the grass is always greener.

kingdavidy2k

I use Lava mini ELC with G&H plugs for pretty much everything. Some Van Den Hul and Canare but mostly Lava. I DIY all my own though. The prices for premade cables from Lava are way out of hand compared to the prices when they started out.
Can you comment on how the Van Den Hul compares to the Lava ELC? I've got an ELC but like Fulltone cable better - they're similar but I found Fulltone sounds a bit less congested, clearer and feels more natural. I've got A Vovox Sonorus as well which is on another level but sometimes found it a bit too hi fi. I also have and love Mogami 2524. A lot warmer on the high end and less bass than the rest but love the mids in those!

whoismarykelly

Can you comment on how the Van Den Hul compares to the Lava ELC? I've got an ELC but like Fulltone cable better - they're similar but I found Fulltone sounds a bit less congested, clearer and feels more natural. I've got A Vovox Sonorus as well which is on another level but sometimes found it a bit too hi fi. I also have and love Mogami 2524. A lot warmer on the high end and less bass than the rest but love the mids in those!
I personally don't care, honestly. Once upon a time I put together a fancy board and wanted the best patch cables. The VDH patch cable wasn't super expensive so I just went with it. Lava was affordable for premade cables then. I think the VDH patches were around $20 each which is insane to me now. Especially since thats what I think a regular ELC patch sells for. For short lengths of cable all I care about are low capacitance, flexibility, and small diameter. The ELC is great for all those elements. Not that Im better than worrying about minor tonal effects or anything but I think comparing cables to see which ones sound best is probably an indicator that someone needs to spend more time playing music than obsessing about gear. For me, durability is way more important than something having mystical properties that cant be measured.

I'd say the best way to spend your dollars is to assemble your own cables with Lava mini ELC or equivalent and the standard G&H nickel plug. You can have a top quality patch in the exact length you need for around $6 and a few minutes for each cable.

pennylink

I used to use George L's on my pedalboard but switched to Evidence Monorail and haven't looked back.

nater9

I bought 2 packs of George L's about 7 years ago, and have swapped so many pedals, configurations, right angle, straight plug... every time I make a new cable I usually cut off about 1/8th inch of cable from the last connector just to make sure I have a clean connection.... (actually sometimes I just bend the cable the other direction for RA plugs) Anyways, I use a cable tester after I make the cable just to make sure I got a good connection and 99% of the time they're good to. I make too many changes on my board to use soldered plugs since I like to have just enough cable from pedal to pedal, so solderless George L's for me. They work!

Stonergrunge

Interesting, I also want to change all of my cables (long and patch) and I would like to know if any of you guys have ever done a comparison between Lava (mini ultramafic) and Evidence (monorail).

SG-GUY 92'

Evidence audio monorail on my board now.

Used to use George L's years ago, and had no problems with them. I would used them again.

whoismarykelly

Money isn't the issue as you get older, time is.

Jazz,
You're right. I learned how much of a waste of time exchanging poorly made and overpriced Monster cables at GC every few months was about 15 years ago. I could make every cable on my board in the time it takes to make one trip to GC.

Also lol at trying to lord age over people on an internet gear forum.

Trending Topics