• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

2016 Gibson R7 LP Bridge Replacement

dughaze

Just picked up an R7 and I would like to replace the bridge with a bridge that the string saddles will not fall out when the string breaks or is replaced. I can see where popping a string on stage and then the saddle falling out could be a real problem. Any recommendations?

Geetarpicker

If you are handy you can fabricate a retaining wire with a guitar string, that will wrap around the bottom of the bridge. I’ve made a few over the years using a pair of needle nose pliers. Though Gibson bridges that have wires also have two holes added for the ends of the retainer wire, it’s possible to bend a wire that reaches around the bottom of the bridge with no need for the small retainer holes. I have two vintage Gibson guitars where I fabricated retainer wires that look and function well, and even look totally stock unless you flip the bridge upside down and look closely. Yep, buying a new bridge is easier!

Tim Plains

I don't think that saddles on Gibson's newer bridges are anywhere near loose enough that they would fall out.

Guys hated the retaining wire when Gibson used it and would tear it out using a drop of nail polish remover to keep the saddles in place. Try that, just obviously put a piece of towel paper under the bridge if it's still on the guitar if you do.

dughaze

If you are handy you can fabricate a retaining wire with a guitar string, that will wrap around the bottom of the bridge. I’ve made a few over the years using a pair of needle nose pliers. Though Gibson bridges that have wires also have two holes added for the ends of the retainer wire, it’s possible to bend a wire that reaches around the bottom of the bridge with no need for the small retainer holes. I have two vintage Gibson guitars where I fabricated retainer wires that look and function well, and even look totally stock unless you flip the bridge upside down and look closely. Yep, buying a new bridge is easier!
great suggestion.... thanks

dughaze

I don't think that saddles on Gibson's newer bridges are anywhere near loose enough that they would fall out.

Guys hated the retaining wire when Gibson used it and would tear it out using a drop of nail polish remover to keep the saddles in place. Try that, just obviously put a piece of towel paper under the bridge if it's still on the guitar if you do.
A saddle fell out when I cut the string off for a change. I was like wtf.... But damn the guitar is the best guitar I've ever played / owned so it is all cool. My luck, the retaining wire would rattle. I've had a few LP's with no retaining wire so I will check that avenue out I guess. Someone suggested a replacement bridge from Sweetwater might work, not sure. People have to be dealing with this but all the tips are cool.

agquake

Silver Supporting Member
Just picked up an R7 and I would like to replace the bridge with a bridge that the string saddles will not fall out when the string breaks or is replaced. I can see where popping a string on stage and then the saddle falling out could be a real problem. Any recommendations?

datguytim

Silver Supporting Member
I've played LPs for over 40 years - had dozens & still have a half dozen. Some with retaining wire, some without. My point: I have never had a saddle fall out whe changing strings on any of them. Whether I changed them or my tech did. This is with 40 years of gigging, recording, and touring. Just something to consider.

AllmanFan

Silver Supporting Member
Tonepros are a good option for a vintage ABR-1 wire replacement.

But I would suggest keeping the bridge and adding a small dab of super glue on the screw head after intonation. Holds fantastic. No vibration. And you keep the original bridge. Glue can easily be removed with an exacto knife or even a toothpick. This is what I do and IMO the historic bridges are a huge contributor to the tone. More so than anything else I've changed on the guitar (besides pickups).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom