2016 Gibson R9 STD Historic 1959 Les Paul VOS or other R9s

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Played a 2016 Gibson R9 STD Historic 1959 Les Paul VOS ICED TEA (LPR94VOITNH1) and really dug it. I can get it new for a substantial discount.

For those who are familiar with R9s, how does this model compare to similar R9s, of different years?

Any advice? I currently play a Gibson Memphis 2016 1963 ES-335TD w/ Bigsby, and really love it. The Memphis shop did a good job it seems on those. Wondering how the R9s stack up from the same year as far as build quality, etc.

Any advice for purchasing an R9?

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...oric-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx#LPR94VOITNH1 - the guitar I'm looking at.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Memphis/1963-ES-335TDC-Bigsby.aspx - my main guitar currently

Thanks!

If you like it, it’s a good one. My favorite Les Paul is an R0 from 2012. The ones with the laminated rosewood fretboard that forumites here have rejected as “worthless”. It’s the best playing and sounding Les Paul I’ve ever played.

What I’m saying is, if you like it, get it and don’t worry if it’s a “good year” or not.

Woollymonster

You can’t go wrong with the Standard Historic (or what ever they call them these days). I love mine it is a ‘57 in black. Best sounding and playing Lester I have ever had. It is a Wildwood Spec. Could also say the same about my Memphis ‘59 ES-335. Memphis does everything well. I have posted these pics quite a bit but, here you go:

IiPmVON.jpg
xxVwBpq.jpg
8TonAHj.jpg
wlKdTvh.jpg

UmeTpr3.jpg

Samba

Wood is wood - luck of the draw. I do however prefer the Burstbuckers and Madagascan rosewood found on earlier historics.

Meriphew

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a new 2016 R8 a year or so ago. Up to that point I was always a Fender guy. I’ve found myself shopping for Les Pauls now. My R8 is absolutely amazing. I’m very happy with it.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
R9 is awesome, if you like it, get it, my last R9 was 2014 or 15.
They are all great.
Gibson kept tweaking the R9 year after year claiming each year to be more accurate, so your 2016 should be a good one. I play some 1999 models all the way up to recent ones, and they all sound darn good.
Have never heard a bad R9.

Tim Plains

2016s were built to 2014 specs and are generally well regarded. Believe it or not, some people won't touch one because of the serial number.

twinrider1

2007 is the best year. Well, yes, my R9 does happen to be from 2007. But that is a total coincidence and has no bearing on my judgement. :)

If you played it and you love it, buy it. My only advice would be to look it over carefully for any flaws and know thyself. Some folks are very picky and just wouldn't be happy with a little finish bleeding in the binding. And it isn't unusual for Gibsons to have a little character.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Went back to play it and do a thorough inspection. Love the guitar....1 issue I noticed though was the bridge pickup was lower in output than the neck...the other 59's I tried didn't have this problem. Does this just need pickup height adjustment by the tech? Any guide to factory setup instructions for details like this?

Other than that, I noticed this on all the Les Paul's I tried, that when the tone is on 0, the volume knob doesn't have a smooth taper and jumps up between 9 and 10 almost like an on/off effect...when the tone is around 3 this doesn't occur, so only on the lowest tone settings do the volume knobs have a non-smooth taper...is this normal? My 335 doesnt do this tohugh I believe the pots are 550K vs 500K on the LP.

No fret buzz, or any dead frets...plays perfectly all over the neck.

The guitar weighs 8.65 lbs and feels great, sounds great, looks great, and plays great. Loving everything about it so far, though just want to check on those detials.

How are Gibson Vintage Reissue strings? I usually use D'darrio NYXLs though wondering if the Gibson brand Vintage Strings are suited to these Historic R9s.

Anything else I should look out for and have the tech go over before taking it home?

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Went back to play it and do a thorough inspection. Love the guitar....1 issue I noticed though was the bridge pickup was lower in output than the neck...the other 59's I tried didn't have this problem. Does this just need pickup height adjustment by the tech? Any guide to factory setup instructions for details like this?

Other than that, I noticed this on all the Les Paul's I tried, that when the tone is on 0, the volume knob doesn't have a smooth taper and jumps up between 9 and 10 almost like an on/off effect...when the tone is around 3 this doesn't occur, so only on the lowest tone settings do the volume knobs have a non-smooth taper...is this normal? My 335 doesnt do this tohugh I believe the pots are 550K vs 500K on the LP.

No fret buzz, or any dead frets...plays perfectly all over the neck.

The guitar weighs 8.65 lbs and feels great, sounds great, looks great, and plays great. Loving everything about it so far, though just want to check on those detials.

How are Gibson Vintage Reissue strings? I usually use D'darrio NYXLs though wondering if the Gibson brand Vintage Strings are suited to these Historic R9s.

Anything else I should look out for and have the tech go over before taking it home?
Your tech will spot something if it exists

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Your tech will spot something if it exists

Not so sure about that...I had their tech "setup" the guitar before going in yesterday to check it out, and he didn't spot that the bridge pickup's output wasn't the same level as the neck. Seemed like he just slapped a new set of strings on it.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Not so sure about that...I had their tech "setup" the guitar before going in yesterday to check it out, and he didn't spot that the bridge pickup's output wasn't the same level as the neck. Seemed like he just slapped a new set of strings on it.
Sure, their Tech ain’t looking out for your interests, I meant your own personal Tech if you have one...

hunter

Silver Supporting Member

Make sure it is intonated and will intonate with the strings of your choice. You are almost out of adjustment.

And action and relief of your choice.

hunter

Last edited:

Tim Plains

1 issue I noticed though was the bridge pickup was lower in output than the neck...the other 59's I tried didn't have this problem. Does this just need pickup height adjustment by the tech? Any guide to factory setup instructions for details like this?
Really? You're looking to drop $5k+ on a guitar and don't know how to lower/raise your own pickups?

Best guide: sit there with a screwdriver and adjust until it sounds best to your ears.

Stock Gibson pots aren't known for having good tapers.

No dead frets? Did you try any huge bends?

Strings are personal preference, inexpensive, and like pickup adjustments, something you should do yourself.

Last edited:

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Really? You're looking to drop $5k+ on a guitar and don't know how to lower/raise your own pickups?

Best guide: sit there with a screwdriver and adjust until it sounds best to your ears.

Stock Gibson pots aren't known for having tapers.

No dead frets? Did you try any huge bends?

Strings are personal preference, inexpensive, and like pickup adjustments, something you should do yourself.

Yes really...seems simple enough, though I've never done it, so I was going to leave it to the tech...I think I'll learn to do my own setups or find a personal tech for this guitar. I'll check out bends. What do you mean by stock Gibson pots aren't known for having tapers?

As for strings, I've been using NYXLs for the last year and love their stability, though I am interested in Gibson's vintage reissue strings to pair with this guitar. I'll try a set and see what I think.

Last edited:

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Yes really...seems simple enough, though I've never done it, so I was going to leave it to the tech...I think I'll learn to do my own setups or find a personal tech for this guitar. I'll check out bends. What do you mean by stock Gibson pots aren't known for having tapers?
It seems you are new at this so my suggestion is take your new prized guitar to a good tech for a bill of health. You can eventually pick up the basic set up things later,

Trending Topics

Top Bottom