2017 dirt: bring the heat

BerkeleyJones

simplest thread I'll create, probably!

what's the one dirt pedal for you that breathes fire? looking to catalog excellent, organic high gainers for those looking to shuffle up their dirt, or for trends that work across rig similarities.

oh, and a quick word about how you use it would be great, aka:

my SD-1 w/ a Les Paul into that crunchy JCM-800,
or my Friedman BE-OD w/ a Strat into that clean, scooped Deluxe Reverb

cheers

Bogner Burnley is the ticket for me (alongside it's milder brother the Wessex)

Ended my hi-gain search that has saw me go through a smorgasbord of dirty delights.

Dynamic, amp-like, with tons of feel and amazing headroom... just glorious!

My set up is ESP Eclipse 2 (or sometimes Tokai Les Paul) into AMT V-1 and whatever power amp the house provides - or my own Blackstar HT60 / Vox AC30 .

It consistently kicks butt.

Braunzo

Caroline Guitar Company Wave Cannon MKII into just about any amp. Super versatile. I use it with my modded DRRI ran clean. And I use any kind of guitar, really... Tele, Les Paul, Strat, PRS, SG, 335, etc. I'm convinced it's the greatest distortion pedal there is.

BerkeleyJones

Bogner Burnley is the ticket for me (alongside it's milder brother the Wessex)

Ended my hi-gain search that has saw me go through a smorgasbord of dirty delights.

Dynamic, amp-like, with tons of feel and amazing headroom... just glorious!

My set up is ESP Eclipse 2 (or sometimes Tokai Les Paul) into AMT V-1 and whatever power amp the house provides - or my own Blackstar HT60 / Vox AC30 .

It consistently kicks butt.

Burnley is a fire breather and very believable. Had it for two
years but now that I play humbuckers it was a bit dark.

Let's hear more!

mici

Cranked Orange TH30
1993 Boss MT-2
Ignore all stupid threads where people bi*ch about how bad this pedal is, give it a shot
Patience
Tweak here and there

Hell welcome.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
The SD-1 is great. The SD-1 boosted by a FA-1 is sublime! :) I play this combo into Voxi (AC10, AC15C1X, Night Train 15), Blackfaces (PRRI, Twin Reverb), Tweed (5e5, Champ, Bassman), hybrids (Line6/Bogner DT25), and SS (Boss Katana 100W 112). It works with all of them! :)
Rat into just about anything.
Jetter Jet Drive (if you are playing at band levels, this pedal REALLY shines with a Twin or AC15/30)
JHS Ruby Red - Thunderbolt on one side, boost on the other... heaven together! I've only played it into the AC10 and the Night Train, so far, but it's going to get tested with some of the others shortly. :)
Source Audio LA Lady / Kingmaker - any kind of dirt you want, just dial it up - I've run it into every amp in my collection and not a bad sound to be heard!

Last edited:

ogguitar

Quinn Hot Buttered Scotch - tons of gain on tap, but I like it best with the gain at about 9:00 for a nice medium gain crunch. Even on lower gain settings, it definitely sounds "hot" to me though.

smallsound/bigsound Mini - This thing is like injecting your amp with lava, if that's what you want. The tight high gain distortion is there, but so are the loose, saggy meltdown tones. This thing has been indispensable for me

Kev O)))

Rats! Any version, any flavor. Right now I rotate between an early '90s Turbo and a '97 Rat2.

I've also had an '85 Whiteface RI (wish I still had it), an ARC Effects Soothsayer and a Walrus Audio Iron Horse. Each of which were equally amazing!

I'm running a semi clean EQD Monarch at the end of my dirt chain regardless of amp and pickups. It tames the most raucous fuzz, and enhances the friendliest muffs. It seems to just make everything compatible with everything. That said:

Walrus 385 - sick by itself. So awesome. Like a loud, barely breaking up amp. Then turn up the gain, it keeps sounding great.
Tortuga Werewolf - DAMN! This thing is like a Rat that turns into a high gain amp. Smooth, with just the right amount of cut. The walrus 385 sounds great right into it.
EQD Crimson Drive - YES. By itself, it's the sweetest low gain fuzz. Into unboostable fuzzes, it's like milk and honey. Holy crap. Play it right into a fuzzrite, a shin ei companion, a tonebender, a park, etc. It's the golden key that does what tubescreamers and Klons don't do. SICK.
EQD Spires. - oh my.....The Rosac side is what I have been wanting. It's like when the planets align with a fuzzrite, and it slams me against the wall. without the fickle nature of a fuzzrite. huge. completely out of control, but warm. Oh, and the crimson drive works great with it.

songtalk

I'm loving my Fat Rat with an LM308N and my vintage smallbox 86 rat. SD-1 and big muff iterations and ds1/2 are all great for some greasy crunch.

jnam

Silver Supporting Member
Can't wait for the horizon precision drive in 2017. Looks very promising.

Current firebreathers:

Abominable Electronics Hail Satan Deluxe - the gnarliest, most versatile muff I have yet to find for getting fat

EQD Dunes OD pushing an OR15 running hot for getting lean.

Last edited:

jnam

Silver Supporting Member
Cranked Orange TH30
1993 Boss MT-2
Ignore all stupid threads where people bi*ch about how bad this pedal is, give it a shot
Patience
Tweak here and there

Hell welcome.

Crank the volume and roll off the gain and you've got a surgical 4-band EQ clean boost. Metal Zone ain't nothin to **** with!

bobbyatomic

I recently acquired a EMMA Reezafratzitz, it's hands down the best high gainer I've tried. I'm using mostly 80s Charvels and Ibanez RGs into a clapped out Peavey Classic 30.

OverdriveLover

Silver Supporting Member
The dirt is the only piece unsettled on my board right now.

The Kingsley Minstrel will cover the crunchy rhythm parts.
Heavy is going to be between the Scarab Deluxe and an 86 Rat. Both can delivery big thick tones, but the Scarabs bias gives it a gating ability and a slight edge.

If I have room, for a more leaner sustaining lead tone it will be the Gain Changer>Minstrel.

1bluzman

Silver Supporting Member
There seems to be a ton of pedals out there today but which of these pedals are nice and crunchy without
being very noisy such as idle noise or white noise ?? That drives me crazy !

Trending Topics

Top Bottom