2018 is near, do we still need 100-watters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mici, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Go big or go home

Crash-VR, Page of Cups and somedude like this.
  2. jujube

jujube Member

So we will call it Ginormous Ferrum or GiFe for short instead. LOL.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    NorCal_Val likes this.
  3. Chococat

Chococat Member

In the last ten years I've played mainly low wattage amps, a DRRI and AC15C1. Recently picked up a DSL100H and what I learned is the extra power isn't just about being louder.

Set at the same volume the Marshall sounds ten times as big on a clean setting.

The best way I can describe is this is what it must feel like driving a 400hp car at 65 knowing you have so much more to give as opposed to driving a 100hp car at the same speed.

The small combos sound so tiny in comparison, I don't think I'll be able to go back.

4. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Just curious if you can get big distorted tones at lower volumes compared to the low watt amps? I was disappointed with my low watt amp until I put an EQ pedal in the loop and got a different 4x12. Now it sounds huge at low volumes and has plenty of great sounding gain.

5. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

Is sounding bigger better? In a lot of mix applications bigger is not better.

Chococat likes this.
  6. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

My MkIII can go as low as a mere 15 watts in "half power" mode or 75 watts in full power Simul-Class mode. Likewise, my MkIV can go as low as 30 watts or as high as 85 watts.

Half power is great fun to screw around with and you can crank it a bit more without becoming demonically loud, but when I switch to full power, EVERY single note everywhere is HUGE! That's what I live for. ;)

BADHAK likes this.
  7. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

If you actually set them at the same volume, I don't believe that's true. I'd like to see some real proof of this. The only way they're going to sound bigger is to be louder. The laws of physics still apply.

Chococat likes this.
  8. Maggot

Maggot Supporting Member

I've been moved from an 18-watt tube head to a 200-Watt solid-state Quilter lately, and I also have other big amps, and big wattage does sound better to me. Here are some improvements with more wattage: 1) clearer low end, 2) more dynamic range.

Abram4235 likes this.
  9. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

well, we don't need 600hp sports cars, but we sure as hell want them!

Abram4235 likes this.
  10. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Just played a 2008 JCM 2000 DSL100 a few hours ago as I look for a second amp. Had to be up at about 5 to sound good and minimize that Marshall fizz, even thru the V30s in my 2x12 Orange cab. Cant play that thing at that volume in the small to medium sized bars we play, will get kicked out. Sounded like complete crap below 4 on the red channel. The DSL50 would be more than enough for most any gig I'll be playing. Said it before and I'll say it again, a 100 watt amp is overkill for most anyone these days. Larger venues will almost always have an adequate PA and a sound guy and you are getting your cab mic'd. Unless you are teh metalzzz band playing basement parties or laundromats :D

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Well, I’m all for a higher thermostat, removing layers and more headroom...

12. michael.e

“That Marshall fizz” under 5? It’s clear to me that you don’t know what you are doing regarding setting amps other than reading marketing hyperbole. You can say it to the masss here till you are blue in the knuckles, still not going to make it the truth. So you ARE telling others what is best for them.. “overkill for most anyone”. It is clear that some people know how to work with high powered amps and some clearly don’t. Does not make those who don’t, right. Ha! You really don’t know what you are doing. That much is clear.

13. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Goggle "marshall fizzy gain" and you will be rewarded with days of reading material. Yes, all of us have no idea how to set an amp lol...

14. somedude

somedude Member

Physics does apply. Set two amps to the same perceived volume and the one with more low end is going to sound fuller.

Producing low end requires power, and a lot of low powered amps are designed to produce less low end so that they don't fart out.

BADHAK, GCDEF and Abram4235 like this.
  15. michael.e

Google? Google for that kind of knowledge?? Aye aye aye.. I’m just going to leave it at that.

16. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

Google will generally point you to the lower half of a normally distributed population in any interest area, if you word your search term carefully. To paraphrase George Carlin: think of how good the average guitar owner is at setting up a Marshall, and realize half of them are worse than that.

Ironically, though appropriately perhaps, it's a bell curve out there.

Abram4235 likes this.
  17. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Ok, how about a demo from Marshall's very own Youtube channel? This is one of the thinnest, most shrill and fizzy tones Ive ever heard. Its complete garbage and this is Marshall's own main demo guy lol. I think he knows their amps.

18. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

More dynamic range? How so.

My Orange amps have tons of low end, so I'm not buying that. I can (and have) put my Orange on 7 watts and set my 40 watter next to it and match the volume and you won't hear any difference. Crank up the 40 watter however and it definitely sounds bigger, but it does require turning it up considerably.

At lower volumes, you're not even using the power tubes very much. That doesn't happen until you crank 'em up.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  19. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

What are you listening through? The shrillness isn't the first thing I'd bring up with that video. The muddiness is more of a problem to me and judging by the position of the microphone, you're hearing a ton of proximity effect and because the mic is near enough in the centre of the speaker, you're getting tones of high-end fizz.

But that is actually a faaaiirrllyyy reasonable demonstration of what a DSL sounds like.