2018 is near, do we still need 100-watters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mici, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Im listening thru the Bose Companion 5 hooked up to my computer. Oh, and Ive owned one of those amps, so I know firsthand how bad they sound. So you're telling me that Marshall and their main demo guy dont even know how to properly set up one of their own amps to sound the best and you expect the rest of us to? The amp sounds like ****, period. Everything after the JCM 800 sounds like fizzy garbage on the higher gain channels.

2. WiresDream

WiresDream Member

Well to be perfectly honest I don't really expect you to be able to do much past whinging on an internet forum!

BADHAK likes this.
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

4. LReese

LReese Member

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Abram4235 likes this.
  5. danburton

danburton Supporting Member

Seriously, that guy has a weird ability to pick exactly the wrong riff to demo every amp.

6. buzzp

buzzp Member

Yeah I just got an AC30-H2 and am in love with the tone at the volume barely up on the amp in the house. I might be able to turn it up to 2 or 3 with the band. I mean this clean tone is something an AC15 could never produce, and I tried really hard to convince myself that it would. With that said, I do want to get a power station so I can get some glorious AC30 breakup when I want it, but that's not what my bands music calls for.

geek-mo likes this.
  7. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

There are a couple of guys on YouTube who can make any amp they play through sound like a coffee can full of bees. He's one of them.

8. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

This thread reminds me of the bit about hunting season between Bugs and Daffy.

9. kidmandude

kidmandude Supporting Member

My answer Hell Yes!!

Proud owner of a newly acquired Fender Custom Vibrasonic! Sounds amazing! A+

10. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Why would Marshall allow that on their own website/channel? Are they all tone deaf? They are not, its the amp. I owned one, they are awful and sound just like that. As I said, older Marshalls sound amazing but anything newer than the 800 sounds thin, fizzy and shrill on the gain channels. Friedman took over and made the amps Marshall should have been making the past 20 years.

11. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

You will not gain any respect from the people in this thread from your staunch contrarian attitude. No one is taking you seriously and you are having zero impact on Marshall sales. What, exactly, do you hope to achieve by being constantly disagreeable and unwilling to discuss things like a normal, sane person?

You hate Marshall amps. Got it. We understand that. You made it perfectly clear many many posts ago.

By the way, I win if you disagree with what I've just said.

12. Maggot

Maggot Supporting Member

Less compressed. The loud parts jump out a bit more. Slam the low strings on a low-wattage amp and you will hear breakup from the power section, even if the volume is set fairly low.

13. geek-mo

Or, they sound like this, which is not at all like that:

14. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Still sounds terrible, especially in that second clip. What a thin, tinny and fizzy sound. Ive owned the amp and hated it. Others may like it but I think its terrible. The best part of owning this amp was taking this photo...

15. geek-mo

If I get a Marshall, I would get a Vintage Modern. And, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I would get a 2466.

What I really want, though, is a Matamp. Black, Orange or Green. I'm not picky.

16. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Eh. Run your guitar thru pretty much any bass amp and you'll get that ummm, sound. I can actually make those noises with my bass.

Toowoombaus likes this.
  17. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I disagree.

18. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I agree.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I agree as well.

20. Classic09

Classic09 Member

The main reason for a higher wattage amp is for the clean headroom. I use a Budda SD45 which won’t stay completely clean on the rhythm channel yet the Lead channel drives nicely. The SD30 rhythm channel simply wouldn’t hold up and neither would any other lower wattage amp. I’d love to try an SD80 but stories about th volume worry me.

I’ve had a Bogner Shiva which is 80watts, so how bad could it be?