2018 is near, do we still need 100-watters?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mici, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. qblue

qblue Member

There is a lot of want for 100W amps, but not a lot of need.

I did a benefit and brought my 100W SS Fender combo 1x12 amp in a large room. I brought my Tele and I just could not hear it. So I pull out the LP and bliss soon ensued. I had a choice of a 22W amp and it would have done the same job. These amps are both Fenders and the 100W has a master volume on the gain channel.

I only thought that either amp would do the same job. I didn't know I needed it. The settings for volume on both amps seem to match to my ears and I only needed to turn the volume to 12 o'clock. I usually run both at 11 o'clock for normal operation.

I really don't ponder the question, "do we need 100 Watters?". I use whatever works. Both work. I'm satisfied. No person has complained about my sound, but I usually play R&B/gospel/jazz/pop music which doesn't need absolute volume. Accents and the occasional solo are all you'll ever need in that milieu. It is not Loud Rock or Roll.

I have a 100W Marshall with a master volume that stays in my basement. I don't like the clean channel, but the gain channel is 'Marshall Roar" all the way. I have been asked to turn it down. I haven't had it cranked thru the half-stack 2x12 but that would hurt.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. PRW

PRW Member

Lord, people, just play what you want, whatever floats your boat sonically for your style of music and what it is that you, specifically, to the exclusion of any other human organism in this or any other known or unknown solar system, are looking for from your amp. There is no right or wrong answer here. (Although I think people know that, threads like this ... and I finally finished the damn thing, which is why I'm adding my .02 ... take on lives of their own, sort of like eBay bidding wars.)

Abram4235 and Scary Uncle G. like this.
  3. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

I don't need big amps. I have to schlep my own gear and I can't do it anymore. I rarely have the stage space for them. I don't like master volume amps or amps with diode distortion built into them. To get a single channel NMV amp to break up the volume has to be outrageous.

Also, big amps tend to create big, smothering sound. The guitar is a midrange instrument. There is nothing worse than playing with another guitarist that does this. It turns into a volume war and everybody loses those.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  4. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Supporting Member

Depends a lot on the amp. My Mark V:35 stays clean loud even with humbuckers being strummed with full abandon.

Seth L likes this.
  5. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I agree with this too. Who am I to deny a player’s experience with his/her amps!

6. Seth L

Seth L Member

Exactly. It also helps if you don't have the bass cranked up as high as it will go. :)

Alchemist XP likes this.
  7. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I don't think one size fits all... I use a 12watt the most. Also use a 6 watt & a 45 watt. They sound different & that's why I have them. There are a lot of other factors in headroom like the speaker, phase inverter, pre-amp section, etc...

8. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I'm starting to really fall out of love with small amps including the vaunted 5e3, hell even my Princeton Reverb. After playing real amps with big iron, big tubes and big, efficient speakers, it's hard to go back to "little" sounds. Is it nicer on the ears to crank up little amps at home, sure, it's less loud. But 2 things, #1. I rarely play "cranked" at a gig. 2. Little amps and there little transformers and inefficient speakers fall apart and sound reedy and raspy cranked up.

I prefer them to play clean at smaller venues when space is at a premium and low volume is expected. I keep them only for this reason. More and more I gravitate towards mid-wattage combos (30 - 45 watts and more efficient speakers). They sound more solid, lows are better and the highs are sweeter.

9. Chococat

Chococat Member

I didn't measure any decibels but I'll say it sounds much fuller. With my DRRI on a clean setting with the volume at about 3-4 it's much thinner sounding. The AC15C1 sounds even less full than the DRRI.

The difference isn't as noticeable up to 10 feet away from the amp. If you don't gig then I don't think you could understand the benefit. I realized it when when I was a hundred feet away in the back of the room. My nephew our bassist was playing my guitar and I was shocked that it sounded as clean as it did when I was standing about ten feet in front of it.

With a bunch of bodies in the room neither my DRRI nor my AC15 sound as clean or anywhere near as loud in the back. The DSL100 effortlessly pushes through everything in it's way and is as clean and clear as when the room is empty.

That's the best way I can describe it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Spankyrigor likes this.
  10. Chococat

Chococat Member

I agree, I think 50 watts is optimal. I have been running my DSL100 at 50 watts. It's perfect I think. I also fell out of love with small combos as they just don't have the dynamic range that a larger amp does. I can stack 3-4 drives in front of my DSL and still have dynamics. Any more than two on my smaller combos and it's over-compressed.

11. Seth L

Seth L Member

Most amps are as clean as you set them. There are a ton of 30 watt or less amps now that sound as good as any amp can sound at any volume. However, there's a lot of things to consider when buying an amp and one of the most important is that it make you happy.

Chococat likes this.
  12. rmora88

rmora88 Member

Use what works for you man... honestly... I've owned so much gear since I was 15.. going on 30 now and I've owned really cool amps including a 1994 Rackmount Mesa Dual Rectifier, Mesa Triple Rectifier, Fender Twin Reverb, and old Randall RG100ES (Spiritual Healing by DEATH was recorded with this "******" solid state amp) all great amps to name just a few and I have settled on a Egnater Vengeance (Can go from 120w to 65w) and honestly it beats the **** out of any amp I've owned thus far... and guess what? Most people will say the Egnater is ****... but I really think its versatile as hell. Sounds great.... Yes it's Chinese Made, but most of my fav gear isn't even American.. that doesnt mean **** these days.

Chococat likes this.
  13. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

"Low end"? that's the freakin' bass player's job!

onetracker, ToneGrail, IAm MI and 2 others like this.
  14. Seth L

Seth L Member

Exactly. :)

Chococat likes this.
  15. dazar

dazar Member

There's no point to them anymore. Back in the day 100W amps were needed to project volume from the stage while the PA handled the vocals. Nowadays you can put a Fender champ thru the PA and you're there. Not as sexy as a wall of HiWatts, though.

ToneGrail likes this.
  16. somedude

somedude Member

Not having ****** tone is the guitar players job.

Plexiglass and Abram4235 like this.
  17. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Exactly. Unless you are playing stoner/doom metal, you really dont want much low end in your tone. As a former bass player for years who's just switched to guitar over last summer, Im learning this painfully and slowly. What sounds good to me when I am playing guitar myself with a nice chunky bottom end doesn't sound good in a mix at all. What helped me really start appreciating where the frequencies of an electric guitar should sit was listening to isolated guitar tracks of some classic songs and guitarists on Youtube. Slash, EVH, Rhoads etc...you dont hear much ( if any) low end in their tone at all and if it WAS there, whoever mixed the album cut it out to sit in the mix perfectly. A guitar stepping on bass frequencies just sounds really sloppy and muddy , especially live. Ive really had to change my tone when playing and really dial back the bass so that my tone by itself sounds pretty thin to my ears, but it sits really well in the mix when Im with my band.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    onetracker likes this.
  18. Mike McDonald

Mike McDonald Member

"do we still need 100 watters?"

No. I am the official collector of unwanted 100 watters. Bring them to me.

Abram4235 likes this.
  19. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I think there is an important distinction between using a lot of bass and being able to reproduce bass frequencies. I much prefer the tightness that my bigger amps exhibit.

20. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I agree. There's bloated bass tones that don't sit well in the mix and there's more narrow bass tones that that can sit in the mix perfectly and have a tight punch that you can feel. Especially loud and cleanish. Pretty much the opposite of a cranked Tweed Deluxe.

BADHAK, Mike McDonald and Abram4235 like this.