2019: Axe FX 3 vs Kemper - What's the consensus?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rmg471, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

2. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

You might want to look up the word fluster.
    Then look up the phrase "to call a spade a spade". That's all I'm doing. I get that you Fractal folks don't like it.
    I dissed on Kemper recently for rushing and releasing too many bugs in the Stage. Also noted I really dislike the graphics on it.
    Calling a spade a spade - IMO and subjectively, of course.

This is the Digital section of the forum. I still own and use digital gear. I love the product segment and
    have been dabbling in it for over 25 years.
    Have tons of experience with digital and will jump to help anyone out when Kemper questions pop up.
    Do I have to use a digital amplifier to post in this section?

3. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Whoops, sorry fretworn. I was confusing you with the OP, who went into lengthy and specific detail regarding the Kemper power stage replication, which IMHO was based on misconception / misunderstanding of how the KPA captures and reproduces this aspect of a tube amp.

Cheers,
    John

fretworn likes this.
  4. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

He specifically said the Kemper is characterized by lots of midrange compression and that the midrange compression can be replicated by tweaking the Output Compression. Even if he'd said the Axe-Fx can easily replicate the Kemper, how is that any different than claiming the Kemper can really nail the full and dynamic sound of your particular amp? I mean, we're talking about devices that are inherently designed to replicate other devices, even other modelers.

I own and love the Kemper, so I'm going to chalk this up to ignorance.

Even if that were precisely what he meant, I don't care, and it has nothing to do with some blind allegiance to FAS. The one thing I appreciate about Cliff is that he says what he thinks, but I also think he's simply expressing an honest opinion rather than merely attempting to poison the well, and he, like Christoph Kemper or the head of any other modeling developer, is entitled to think whatever they like. If you find that unprofessional or arrogant, well, suit yourself. It doesn't bother me in the least, nor does it change my opinion of their respective products.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM
  5. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Well, in past years there have been artists, whose music I love, that have called out political and religious figures I have very high regard for by name, and made obnoxious and, what I consider, misinformed claims about. Hasn't affected my love for their music one iota.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    primal likes this.
  6. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Hello ColdFrixion,

Understood. Indeed, I completely appreciate the fact that the Axe-FX is an amazing digital guitar amp modeler, and is a top quality product in pretty much every way. Nevertheless (and this is just me), I will not support Fractal by purchasing their product, due to the pattern of past conduct and behavior of the owner/CEO. Again, this doesn't mean that a fractal product (e.g. the Axe-FX III) in and of itself, isn't highly desirable.

Futhermore, I completely recognize that Cliff (nor anyone else, for that matter), is losing any sleep over my personal view on this matter. :p:)

Cheers,
    John

Viabcroce likes this.
  7. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I'm buying a product, not the personality, comments or attitude of the person/people who designed it.

8. handyman

handyman Member

Just curious - what specifically are you referring to here?

9. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Hello Handyman,

I will respectfully refrain from further comment on the matter, as this is going far afield to the OPs intended request for info. and feedback. A Google search will yield you the salient commentaries...or someone else might choose to provide links. I'm going to stand down on this issue, however.

Cheers,
    John

10. WBellman

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

11. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Fine by me, though there's a difference between expressing an honest opinion about a product and expressing an opinion about someone personally.

fretworn likes this.
  12. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Strikes me as a strawman, saying something that's not actually there, and then backhandedly saying "well if you actually like that, this is how you can get that on the Axe".

I'll continue to say this is a bad example, since Metallica hasn't sounded good since they've switched to modelers :D

FAS comes across incredibly arrogant in many posts, which gives me pause to buy one of their devices. While others don't care about the people behind the products they buy, I do. If I find the company to be unlikable and arrogant, it doesn't necessarily bode well for support later on.

Viabcroce and Deuterium like this.
  13. WBellman

My comment was about a CEO/President and a business. It wasn't personal. You're the one using the guy's first name.

Deuterium likes this.
  14. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Fractal Audio's support is widely considered second to none by customers. It's one reason they have such a passionate customer base, in my opinion.

fretworn, PBGas and primal like this.
  15. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

The difference is, Cliff was commenting on a product, not the competition's CEO.

fretworn, PBGas, primal and 2 others like this.
  16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I wouldn't know, I've not owned one of their products yet.

17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Just sitting here watching the Kemper and Fractal guys go at it...

[​IMG]

mbenigni and JiveTurkey like this.
  18. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Regardless what anyone thinks of Cliff, in my experience(and that of many others), Fractal Audio's support is excellent.

19. WBellman

My ducks are lined up straight.
    Your ducks are pretty straight - but two of them are crooked.
    Some people dig that.
    Walk down my line and twist two of my ducks if you dig crooked lines.

Hey, I was only commenting about your ducks, not you personally.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    Deuterium likes this.
  20. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I'm sure this comment has some sort of relevance for you.

fretworn and primal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.