2019: Axe FX 3 vs Kemper - What's the consensus?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by rmg471, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Now that I'm back to tubes, ya gotta spill the beans!

2. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I didn't bat an eye at Cliff's post. All he's saying is that he hears more midrange compression / smoother distortion in the Kemper, and if that's your thing, it can easily be replicated in the Axe. Not sure why you or anyone else would think it's ridiculous.

3. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

The simple fact is, that Cliff Chase has, on a number of occasions, posted questionable of down-right erroneous information about a competitor (i.e. Kemper). That is enough for me to steer clear of any of his products, period, full stop.

Conversely, the ONLY time I have ever seen Christoph Kemper utter the name "Fractal", was in direct response/rebuttal to some ridiculous statement made be Cliff Chase.

Viabcroce, creative360 and PepAlmeida like this.
  4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

They never do.

Ultimately they just devolve into fans of either product defending theirs and criticizing the other.

Guitardave likes this.
  5. rmg471

rmg471 Supporting Member

Carr Mercury V

6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

You've gotten much better :D You enjoy the kool-aid (and it is delicious); but you also acknowledge areas for improvement and can see that a gear discussion ≠ echo chamber. It is possible to love a piece of gear and NOT be in self righteous cheerleader mode. Keep up the good work!

7. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

Next time tell them its a tuba.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  8. WBellman

Had one about 15 years ago - the original. One of the most beautiful (and well built, inside and out) amps I ever owned.

rmg471 likes this.
  9. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Personally, I don't believe Cliff would intentionally post inaccurate information about a competitor. As he's an engineer, I do believe he has an opinion about how his competitor's products work; right, wrong or indifferent. Nothing he's posted has ever changed how I feel about his products, nor do I believe it ever would. I mean, there are musical artists who hold political and religious beliefs that are in diametric opposition to my own; however, it doesn't change how I feel about their music.

It wouldn't matter to me one iota if Christoph Kemper mentioned his competitors by name on a regular basis, but that's me.

Guitardave, yeky83 and fretworn like this.
  10. WBellman

Fractal Admin: "the Kemper can be easily replicated in the Axe".
    What an arrogant and extremely unprofessional thing to say about your competition.
    But if you have blinders on I guess you can't see it and instead justify the arrogance.

Read between the lines:
    Axe is highly accurate.
    Kemper isn't.
    Some people like that.
    Adjust these two settings to make the Axe less accurate.
    It's easy.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:48 AM
  11. WBellman

Blinders: 101

12. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Hello ColdFrixion,
    I believe the correct analogy would be if these musical artists called you out by name, and made misinformed and obnoxious claims about your personally held political or religious beliefs. How would you feel, then? Or, more specifically, if you were an uninvolved 3rd party, and witnessed this type of conduct and behavior...how would you feel about such artists?

13. fretworn

fretworn Member

Tweak any EQ value on your Kemper. Does it act like a real amplifier? You you know the answer. No.

And as others have mentioned, the power modeling section is homogeneous for a “type”. Doesn’t replicate the diversity of amplifiers that actually exist across the real world.

Again what you play through doesn’t matters one whit to me.

By the way Cliff Chase is not an admin. He’s the designer, owner and chief bottle washer at FAS with great ears for modeling.

I’ve never seen Cliff intentionally lie. Occasionally as all humans do, he may make mistakes. He admits them freely. Why would you jump down anybody’s throat for that? Are you perfect?

BTW, How do you tried the suggestion that Cliff offered? No you haven’t.

And since you’re into real amplifiers now as you say, why all the fluster in the digital modeling forum?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:17 AM
  14. handyman

handyman Member

You're reading stuff into Cliff's comment that isn't there. FAS and Kemper made different decisions about modeling different aspects of power amp performance, and Cliff's just giving his users a tip on which knobs to turn to get his products to behave more like Kemper's.

Of course Cliff's going to think his decisions on the default levels of compression and power amp hardness are the "right" ones - he's the one who chose them in the first place. :)

I'd imagine Christoph Kemper believes his decisions are the right ones, too. Otherwise he wouldn't have made them!

MixMinisterMike, yeky83 and fretworn like this.
  15. yeky83

yeky83 Member

You're taking things way too personally.

MixMinisterMike likes this.
  16. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Hello Fretworn,

Yep, the Axe-FX II and III are great pieces of kit.

However, I cordially suggest you are mistaken in regards to the fidelity and authenticity of Kemper's reproduction of the reference amp's power stage. In fact, the Kemper's profiling method accurately captures the dynamic impedance interaction between the reference tube amp's output section, and the specific, reference speaker. The KPA Direct and Merged profiling process accurately captures the individual frequency-response, in addition to the tube power amp's response, of the reference amp / cabinet system. This is not the case with the Axe-FX and associative Impulse Responses. The Axe-FX is modeling and simulating this interaction, whereas this is actually imprinted in the Kemper's profile and accurately reproduced during a performance.

17. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Hello yeky,

In what way? I also was very careful to point out that I was speaking for myself, when it comes to my personal distaste for these types of sales/marketing tactics. I am not telling others how to feel about it.

18. fretworn

fretworn Member

Ok.

Did you miss the part where I said I saw Pat Metheny play a Kemper last fall and that it was one of the greatest concerts I’ve ever seen, and that it sounded great?

Deuterium likes this.
  19. WBellman

My kid is perfect. Yours is great too.

20. fretworn

fretworn Member

Don’t bring my kids into is this. I don’t freakin’ know you. Stay away from me and my kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.