2020 Charvels

kustombob

I bought a new 2019 from SW last year at this time. I always get the bug this time of year. It was a San Dimas all white MIM and it came setup out of the box pretty good. Just a little tweaking and it smokes.

1973Marshall

The DK22 SSS might be perfect for me. 24 Fret necks (and the effect they have on neck pickup placement) aren't my thing. I generally prefer SSS in terms of looks but I am curious how I would like a rail instead of an HB in the bridge. Either way this looks like it could be another dream Strat to go with my current #1 Strat. Love the black... basic and to the point.

Cool models, but really missing sparkle finishes hehe. So-Cal Style 1 in sparkle purple, slime green or something like that would be amazing.
You know...If they'd make that So Cal Deep Purple with a full maple neck instead of the ebony, I'd jump. That would speak to me on soooo many levels. I've had several MIM's and other than a first year version that had severe fret buzz on the low E between 10 and 13, I thought they were all well made, no issues at all. I've pretty much gone non locking on my trem guitars lately but would happily snag up another Charvel if the right combination of components rolled around. I love the snow white So Cal with the black pickguard but hate the None More Black hardware all over it.
I do with they would've kept the purple Sparkle. I got last year's purple sparkle So Cal with the ebony and I will attest the neck is pure magic. Ebony really makes sense in terms of tone and slick feel. Looks beautiful as well. The purple sparkle is definitely something special. Swapped the Duncan Distortions for a JB/Jazz and the guitar became even more alive.

It's a guitar I am addicted to playing and cannot put down. Charvels are special!

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Unashamed to admit I have no idea who Joe Duplantier is but I like his choices! Love my DK24, but I keep an eye on the Charvel line for fun.

Strat87

I will own the purple tiger satchel sig, but I’m holding off for a sale or a used example

CanuckChris

Unashamed to admit I have no idea who Joe Duplantier is but I like his choices! Love my DK24, but I keep an eye on the Charvel line for fun.
It's funny how a lot of people don't know him or Gojira even though they've been around since the 90s. I saw them open for Metallica and thought they were a new band.

JYD

Silver Supporting Member
Sooo... Who’s still rocking a 2020? I’ve heard of some QC issues with recent MIMs. Anyone have a recent experience, good or bad?

bman5150us

My 2020 DK24 FR came with loose neck bolts but was otherwise OK. Not exactly my setup of course but it’s great now.

I’m going to have a hard time not buying another DK24 FR if they ever decide to make one in Matte Army Green!

Alan Dunn

Sooo... Who’s still rocking a 2020? I’ve heard of some QC issues with recent MIMs. Anyone have a recent experience, good or bad?
I have tried to buy a MIM Charvel on several occasions but never found one that worked for me,
But the build quality on the dozen or so I tried was never an issue. In fact, I'd say they were all very good.

Reactions: JYD

AdamSays

I Just bought a 2020 Charvel dk24 nova 7 Vivaldi that is mik. Friggin great git mang. Very rolled fretboard, frets are perfect...action was shredder low right out of box... pickups sound great...idk what else one would want from a a 7 string. I do not have MIM Charvels...but I do have a few Mia ones...the Korean Vivaldi is a fantastic value for a truly pro level git imo,

troyguitar

I got a blue MIM DK24 HH 2PT the other day and it was nearly perfect out of the box, even the intonation was good on 5 of the 6 strings. I wish I could have paid an extra $200 to get stainless frets, but that's not an option without going to the $3000+ USA version. Of course now I want a USA model too haha...

I did preemptively ditch the middle string tree and replace the high tree with one from Graph Tech, just because it was easy and I had the parts sitting here already.

I have a 2020 SoCal Style 1 that I got a few months ago. Needed a minor setup when it arrived (string height was awfully high) but I had no issues with fret sprout or rough fret ends like everyone seems to think these Charvels have.

monty

I Just bought a 2020 Charvel dk24 nova 7 Vivaldi that is mik. Friggin great git mang. Very rolled fretboard, frets are perfect...action was shredder low right out of box... pickups sound great...idk what else one would want from a a 7 string. I do not have MIM Charvels...but I do have a few Mia ones...the Korean Vivaldi is a fantastic value for a truly pro level git imo,
Awesome! I was so tempted every time I tried one at the shop but cant justify another 7 string right now. Stoked that they are coming out with a 6 string version this year though.

Trending Topics