2021 Charvel, Jackson and EVH announced

Terrarich

Silver Supporting Member
That Mansour is killer, but at Suhr prices. I thought I saw him say last year it had a fat neck, but this describes the typical speed neck as the profile.

drod1985

I really wish EVH would experiment with different pickup and switching options rather than simply changing colors every year.

The kill switch on the 5150s is cool. But let’s see some HSS, HSH, and blade switches on these Wolfgangs.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I have no idea who this guy is (or didn't before I watched his video!), but I kinda dig this guitar. I'm not a fan of this relic'ing but the reverse headstock is kinda fun, you're one pickguard and wiring re-work to make it a really useful guitar.

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/...n-signature-pro-mod-so-cal-style-1/2966035555

Overall I still prefer the Adrian Smith Jackson Strathead to the lot of them. Still kicking myself for passing on a gold color'ed one when they first came out!
I got this model back in Oct when it arrived up here. I can tell you with great honesty that it surpassed my expectations 100%. It is built very well and plays/sounds amazing!

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Thin pickings on 7 strings...

I guess 7 strings - especially with Floyds - are out of fashion ...

CanuckChris

I really wish EVH would experiment with different pickup and switching options rather than simply changing colors every year.

The kill switch on the 5150s is cool. But let’s see some HSS, HSH, and blade switches on these Wolfgangs.
Nah, I'm the opposite. I harken back to the days of Charvel when they had a simply two pickup system, single volume and three way toggle, and non-recessed FR. EVH seems to be the last holdout in this area and I'm glad about that.

monty

The pickup switch placement on these just looks weird to me. I know it's the same on the Wolfgangs, but on a strat shaped body, it seems odd. The killswitch is a sweet addition though!
Didnt notice that at first, makes sense with the killswitch going there though. Looks odd but being a Wolfgang player for so long I'm OK with it.

bman5150us

I really love superstrats and think Jackson ans Charvel make really great guitars at around the $1000 mark. In my opinion, the Charvel headstock looks the best (just seems more adult than the hockey puck or Jackson slanted style neck, lol). And I never understood the appeal of the reverse headstock. Makes tuning slightly more difficult. I didn’t even like it when I was a teenager in the 1980’s!

gold hardware-yuck. Give me chrome, black or smoked chrome!

I really love the roasted maple necks. My perfect next guitar would be a Charvel DK24 FRin matte army green with a smoked maple neck.

I swapped out the bridge pickup and upgraded the Floyd Rose arm on my sea green 2020 Charvel DK24 FR. It’s such a perfect gigging guitar now that the last few gigs I played in 2020 I didn’t change guitars all night. This SSH guitar allows me to cover all sorts of tonal ground. It’s become my main guitar, replacing a beloved Washburn superstrat that I’ve had since 1989.

Bankston

I have no idea who this guy is (or didn't before I watched his video!), but I kinda dig this guitar. I'm not a fan of this relic'ing but the reverse headstock is kinda fun, you're one pickguard and wiring re-work to make it a really useful guitar.

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/...n-signature-pro-mod-so-cal-style-1/2966035555

Overall I still prefer the Adrian Smith Jackson Strathead to the lot of them. Still kicking myself for passing on a gold color'ed one when they first came out!
Henrik Danhage from Evergrey, one of the most underrated bands in the world.

There's a lot of phenomenal guitarists in Sweden, but Henrik stands out. His tone reminds me of 80's George Lynch. The singer, Tom Englund, is no slouch either. Check out this song that just dropped last Friday with a couple of killer solos from Tom and Henrik.

Barchetta78

I think it's appropriately priced at $1,500 below the venerated US version and fills a market niche between that guitar and the cheaper Pro series.

bodolza

And I never understood the appeal of the reverse headstock. Makes tuning slightly more difficult.
It does make tuning a bit more difficult, but it makes the lower strings longer. That means they're going to need more tension to get to tune, and therefore will have a tighter response. This probably matters more for people that like to tune down.

I really love superstrats and think Jackson ans Charvel make really great guitars at around the $1000 mark. In my opinion, the Charvel headstock looks the best (just seems more adult than the hockey puck or Jackson slanted style neck, lol). And I never understood the appeal of the reverse headstock. Makes tuning slightly more difficult. I didn’t even like it when I was a teenager in the 1980’s!

gold hardware-yuck. Give me chrome, black or smoked chrome!
Agreed on reverse headstocks. The hockey stick and Jackson headstocks look especially goofy reversed.

Seems like I'm the only one who likes gold hardware, but only with a bound ebony fretboard with big inlays.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
Henrik Danhage from Evergrey, one of the most underrated bands in the world.

There's a lot of phenomenal guitarists in Sweden, but Henrik stands out. His tone reminds me of 80's George Lynch. The singer, Tom Englund, is no slouch either. Check out this song that just dropped last Friday with a couple of killer solos from Tom and Henrik.

Yes.
I've seen them 3 times, and they deliver.
One of my favorite bands.

bman5150us

It does make tuning a bit more difficult, but it makes the lower strings longer. That means they're going to need more tension to get to tune, and therefore will have a tighter response. This probably matters more for people that like to tune down.
I never even thought about that! Interesting. Learn something new everyday. Thx!

sounds like there is another reason why I wouldn’t want a reverse headstock guitar then as I only occasionally do dropped D (I think for just one song actually and it’s not always in the setlist.)

olejason

Isn't tension based on the tuning of the vibrating string length though? Never really thought about it

drod1985

The pickup switch placement on these just looks weird to me. I know it's the same on the Wolfgangs, but on a strat shaped body, it seems odd. The killswitch is a sweet addition though!
Didnt notice that at first, makes sense with the killswitch going there though. Looks odd but being a Wolfgang player for so long I'm OK with it.
I noticed the pickup switch, but I'm not sure it's a good move. The Wolf pickup switch is basically centered on the 19th fret. The 5150 series is closer to the 21st fret and then also closer to the neck. I just picked up my 5150 replica to see how that'd work out. It seems the switch would be in a bad spot for tapping, which is what these guitars are made for (and it's why EVH reversed the Wolfgang pickup switch vs. a Les Paul).

BuckshotJenkins

Gold Supporting Member
Apologies if this was already noticed, but I just noticed that the Angel Vivaldi DK24 6 string has no string trees whereas the other versions of that model still does. Wish they just got rid of all of them.

Trending Topics