2021 Charvel, Jackson and EVH announced

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
It does make tuning a bit more difficult, but it makes the lower strings longer. That means they're going to need more tension to get to tune, and therefore will have a tighter response. This probably matters more for people that like to tune down.
Makes no difference when you have a locking nut though.

TTHX

Been waiting for that Misha one to come out. But damn that price...

On the other hand white king v pro and this soloist is on my radar. 2021 releases looking to be great damn.

Baba

Silver Supporting Member
Do the Wolfgangs still come with the toggle switch that is up for bridge pup and down for the neck pup?

That always annoyed me. Good guitars though.

stevehollx

I got this model back in Oct when it arrived up here. I can tell you with great honesty that it surpassed my expectations 100%. It is built very well and plays/sounds amazing!
Looks sick too. Love the heavy relic with the zebra pickup. Everygrey rhythm tones have been a bonecrushng tone standard for me for modern metal.

drod1985

Do the Wolfgangs still come with the toggle switch that is up for bridge pup and down for the neck pup?

The import models now come with “regular” Les Paul style switch orientation.

The USA models come with EVH style reverse orientation.

I grew up on Wolfgangs, so I switch any guitar I own to that EVH style.

CanuckChris

It does make tuning a bit more difficult, but it makes the lower strings longer. That means they're going to need more tension to get to tune, and therefore will have a tighter response. This probably matters more for people that like to tune down.
I understand and agree with what you're saying, but the locking nut would make this pointless though, wouldn't it?

Apologies if this was already noticed, but I just noticed that the Angel Vivaldi DK24 6 string has no string trees whereas the other versions of that model still does. Wish they just got rid of all of them.
As noted above, the Vivaldi is unique in that it has a tiltback headstock. However, Charvel could easily eliminate the string trees on its other DK offerings if they just switch to staggered locking tuners!

Yes and no. The Standards and Specials have it the regular way (down is bridge, up is neck), while the US version have it reversed the way Eddie preferred. I agree it's annoying. If I ever bought a US version, that would be one of the first things I modified myself.

ixnay

I wonder if the $2000ish MIJ Jacksons come with a gig bag or case at that price. I don't see either mentioned in the description.

RockDebris

If you have a locking nut, you can tune the guitar (any sort of headstock and tuner arrangement), lock the nut and then cut string past the nut so the only thing left now holding the string is the locking nut itself. Once that part of the string no longer even exists, it's hard to imagine that any string length beyond the nut has an effect on tension at all and it's just determined by the gauge of string and the length between nut and saddle.

bodolza

Isn't tension based on the tuning of the vibrating string length though? Never really thought about it
The amount of tension required to bring a string to a certain tuning is related to the mass of the string. Longer string = more mass. Heavier gauge strings are used for the same reason. Since they require higher tension to tune, they're less floppy than thinner gauge strings when tuned down. Of course, nothing is ever straight-forward, since thinner gauges will also have less response, they'll also create a tighter sound. Generally you'll want as light a gauge you can get that won't feel too floppy when playing. Having a longer scale length means you could use a lighter gauge.

I understand and agree with what you're saying, but the locking nut would make this pointless though, wouldn't it?
That's, uh, actually a really good point.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
There's a new 6-string Charvel Dinky with Dimarzio pickups instead of Seymour Duncans (Angel Vivaldo sig, previously only 7-string). The Dimarzios are Tone Zone/Air Norton, which is what's on the Ibanez guitars that I love, so they'll probably get my money for that one.

monty

There's a new 6-string Charvel Dinky with Dimarzio pickups instead of Seymour Duncans (Angel Vivaldo sig, previously only 7-string). The Dimarzios are Tone Zone/Air Norton, which is what's on the Ibanez guitars that I love, so they'll probably get my money for that one.

Oh nice, didn't see that one! I was tempted by his other sig, felt and sounded great but didn't want to buy another 7 string. Will check out the 6 string version ASAP!

olejason

The amount of tension required to bring a string to a certain tuning is related to the mass of the string. Longer string = more mass. Heavier gauge strings are used for the same reason. Since they require higher tension to tune, they're less floppy than thinner gauge strings when tuned down. Of course, nothing is ever straight-forward, since thinner gauges will also have less response, they'll also create a tighter sound. Generally you'll want as light a gauge you can get that won't feel too floppy when playing. Having a longer scale length means you could use a lighter gauge.
Right, my question was in regards to extending the string beyond the vibrating string length. If your VSL is 25" it shouldn't matter if the string extends beyond the nut another length of any amount, the tension will be the same for the given gauge since the additional length isn't part of the vibrating scale length.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
That EVH Special looks great. Could be a good replacement for my Charvel DK24 that I'm not bonding with.

Trending Topics