1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

2061x blowing my mind...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mike@switchback, Mar 1, 2006.

1. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Thanks to a fellow forumite, I got a great deal on a 2061x head, and so far it is exceeding all expectations. I was hoping for an old-school plexi sound, but at much more manageable volumes, since I mostly play at home these days. And it totally delivers. I recorded this about an hour after plugging it in for the first time:

http://homepage.mac.com/mpackage/2061_3.mp3

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Nice sounding amp. Congratulations on your purchase. b.t.w. What kind of speakers were you plugged into and what kind of guitar; what were your settings?

Cool,

3. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Hey, thanks. The speakers are original mid-70s 25 watt blackbacks in a germino basketweave repro 4x12. The guitar is an ernie ball silhouette special with dimarzio virtual vintage pup's...

That was mostly lead channel almost dimed (tone too) with a little of the bass channel jumpered in (maybe 1/4 of the way up...)

4. rastaman

rastaman Member

Sounds great!!! :dude

I love mine. What kind of tubes are in yours? Your's sounds cleaner than mine unless you had the volume rolled back on your guitar.

5. rastaman

rastaman Member

I play mine through 2/10's in a Marshall 4/10. I'm currently ABYing it w/ a Marshall Artist 3023. I'm researching ABYing it w/ a 1974X, I'm thinking that'd be a killer rig.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

+1 for the virtual vintage pups. I so want to get a guitar I can put a virtual vintage PAF Hot in.

7. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

I haven't played the 74x, but now I would love to! The tubes are JJ's in the power and Marshall-branded whatevers in the pre. Soon to be Mullards in the pre...

How about you?

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I played one of these at Rocker Guitars in SF while at a conference this past year and boy, it sure stuck with me...I've been looking at Germino's but the Marshall 2061x and Bob Reinhardt's "18" are sure appealing due to the lower output power

9. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

The bridge pickup in this guitar is a Virtual PAF (regular, not Hot)....it's just coil-split for the bridge part of this clip. Love these pickups! The neck and mid are Virtual '54s...

10. rastaman

rastaman Member

I put NOS Tesla EL84's in and the amp came alive! I bet a Mullard pre would be total tone heaven! I have an Amperex and some other NOS pre's I just haven't tried in it yet :jo .

But I'm telling you, in mine anyway, the JJ power tubes were lifeless sounding compared to the Teslas.

11. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Yeah, I hear you. The Germino Club 40 passed through here briefly. Cool amp, but not cool enough to be worth dealing with the volume for me. This amp sounds more "plexi" (at least my idealized mind-rendering of a plexi) to me than the Club 40 did.

12. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Cool, thanks for the tip. That's another thing I like about this amp...relatively cheap to retube!!

13. rastaman

rastaman Member

It is pretty cheap to retube!

Tell me what you think about this:

I am considering buying a 1974x w/ a G12H Heritage, then buy an empty 1974x combo w/ a G12H Heritage and stick the 2061x in it and ABY the amps. Plus, I'm thinking of buying 2 extention cabs and using a Voodoo Labs 4 amp switcher and switch between all the channels :RoCkIn .

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I don't have one but that clip sounded very sweet.

15. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

The only downside I see to that is that I love how small and light the head is as a head. I'm thinking that I might a/b it with a fender combo for cleans....

16. rastaman

rastaman Member

There is that and tube rattle. The 2061x has beautiful cleans to me. I've never owned a Fender though so I'm sheltered. I'm planning on using the 2061x for cleans and rhythm.

I've just never had a tube combo. I'm kinda tired of taking heads and cabinets to gig's. I do like the 2061x in a 4/10, 4/12 and/or 2/12. Don't know what a 1/12 will sound like.

17. Liquid Sunshine

Liquid Sunshine Member

I LOVE mine! I am so pissed though today I pulled one of the NOS Polam EL84's out because it had a crackle in the first 5 seconds when I turned it on. The minute I pulled it out it cracked at the base...yes it was hot...damn. Anyways you HAVE to put Mullards in the pre's. I have a pair of Philips Miniwatt and Mullard EL84's coming to replace them. Those Polams sounded great but I popped in a pair of Philips USA ECG EL84's and they crank. I have the channels jumped and both dimed. Tone is on 5 on the lead and 10 on the bass channel. I just don't know if they are a matched set though (ECG's). I run it with the 2061CX cab. Strat player

18. mike@switchback

mike@switchback Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was seriously skeptical that this amp would live up to the hype, but IMO, it totally does. And I'm sure I'm not close to being really good at dialing it in yet.

19. Liquid Sunshine

Liquid Sunshine Member

ratter find some Mullards it will bloom with the most beautiful mids. The JJ's will sound brittle..lol

20. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Rastaman you are giving me a bad case of GAS.

To me your gonna have the ultimate rig. A 20 watter in a combo with no Master Volume and an 18 watt combo with a Master. I coulda had a V-8:eek: