• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

2061x: Major Marshall Goodness Cheap!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sorry I didn't have time to post this Wednesday night! For a very short time, on the MF scratch and dent sale they had 2061x's for $999. I wasn't sure what I was going to get for that, but it arrived today in fine shape: not a scuff on it. I suspect they were returns that Marshall or MF fixed up, but I'd keep my eye open, often the other discount online folks will follow-up with a similar sale (check out Zzounds and American Music Supply).

Anyway, I've not had the chance to play one of these before. I've had my Watkins and a 1974 Clone but this is a whole other animal. First of, as has been mentioned, it's a VERY loud 20w. It buries my other EL84 amps for clean (or nearly clean, with humbuckers it's never quite 100% clean) volume including a recent Matchless Lightening with 12AT7s in the preamp (which I thought was a very loud clean). Pushed harder, especially on the bright channel, it gets a very satisfying crunch, and pushed with a nice overdrive or boost (I tried both a black Eternity and a Voodoo boost set very clean) it gets great pinch harmonics. Thru the Fane ceramic in an open back cab I was using, I was getting pretty solid bass (significantly better than the 1974 copy or the Matchless) by jumpering channels. All in all it's a fun little amp and definitely loud enough to gig in a loud band. In contrast to the Orange Tiny Terror as an example, it's much more flexible in the EQ and amount of drive. I was expecting good, but not as good as any 2XEL84 amp I currently own! Kudos to Marshall. And I haven't even started tube rolling yet, that was with the stock Marshall tubes! Keep your eyes open, there may be a few out there yet...

Oh yeah, I've heard that it likes closed back cabs. Since I'm not going to be buying the 2061cx cab (it's not on sale ;)) any thoughts about what I should look for cab and speaker wise?

m@2

u can get used marshall cabs pretty cheap right now... there was a 1960BHW on the emporium, thats the cab i use and i LOVE it. I've also seen a few 2061cx's come up for sale here in the last 6 months

Griz

Those are great sounding little amps, and a whole different animal than the 18 watt. Speaker-wise, have you considered going with a 4x10 (1965A/1965B)?

Enjoy.

:AOK

wedewer

Be on the lookout for transformer problems. I bought one of these off Ulysses on TGP. Sounded great, but didn't work for me. Sold it to a guy on Craigslist and within a month the transformer fried out. Luckily he is a cfo of a company and the money wasn't a problem. He had to spend 500.00 to have savage audio here in MN put a Heyboer in it.

...He had to spend 500.00 to have savage audio here in MN put a Heyboer in it.
damn... I know techs need to make a living, but soldering 5 wires with a $75 part sure doesn't sound like $500! I would hope they did something more to that amp.

wedewer

damn... I know techs need to make a living, but soldering 5 wires with a $75 part sure doesn't sound like $500! I would hope they did something more to that amp.
Don't the heyboers run like 185.00 new?

Maybe they saw him drive up in his Mercedes. Either way, he told me that the amp sounded better after the transformer change.

Trending Topics