2061x transformer died, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmcerlain, Jan 8, 2008.

1. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

I knew it was a matter of time, but the transformer in my 2061x croaked, a least it wasn't on a gig. After Marshall replaced the first one...

My question, I'm going to get a Mercury tranny, should I replace both trannys while I'm at it and do any of you have any experience with the Axiom series or the Tone-Clone? I love the amp but I'm done with Marshall trannys.

BTW my friend Matt Wells recommended adding in 100ohm screen resistors. he says it won't affect the tone and will protect this from happening in the future.

2. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

when my OP tranny went out, I just changed it to a merc magnetics. Improved tone and piece of mind. But that is the only one I replaced. It has been about a year now and knock on wood, all seems good.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I would replace both transformers.

Adding the screen resistors is a good idea to improve tube life and reduce the risk of failure, but it won't do anything to protect the transformer.

4. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

RetroBob has the same amp and he installed a set of MM trannies. His sounds pretty good.... you can probably PM him for more details. He too has the originals that he would probably sell .... they never went bad on him, he just likes MM.

5. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I got a Merc choke. They give you some stickers and some nice metal badged to stick on your stuff. That way you can be a tone snob with style. :D

[​IMG]

6. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll upgrade both the trannys and a choke was recommended by a few techs I have spoken to, as well as the 100ohm screen resistors. It will be a bit pricey but I do love the simplicity of the amp and I think thay sound great and you can't beat the weight. I like to peace of mind it will give me as well.

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The Marshall 20W circuit does not have or need a choke. Save your money...

The screen resistors are a good idea though.

8. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

Thank you John. I would like to save some money, it is funny how many opinions you can get on the same subject. I'll just go with the screen resistors and trannys. I think it's Bull Sh*t of Marshall to let this slide, but my complaining only got me a new tranny that blew a second time.

Hey, where in bonnie Scotland are you? I have been there many times and love it, could due without all the rain though. My uncle Angus is a sheep farmer in the highlands and my grandmother still lives there as well as some more family. My mother is from Whitburn and my father is from Shotts.

9. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I'm just south of Edinburgh. I'm originally English! But lived more than half my life in and around Edinburgh, so the natives don't mind me too much :).

10. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

In America I'm Scottish and in Scotland I'm American. I love Edinburgh, it is such a beautiful city. I have alway been a tourist though, I would like to live there for a while but my wife would never go for it, I'm still trying to get her to go there but when is comes to vacations she wants to go some place warm.