2061x transformer question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jmcerlain, Jan 10, 2008.

1. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Supporting Member

I posted that my 2061x crapped out. To replace the transformers with Mercury's will cost about $470 :eek:. I know they make great stuff but that is pretty steep I must say. I know Heyboer is less expensive and excellent (that's what's in my Club 40) has anyone used a replacement from them for this amp, and if so does it drop in? Also did they have a part number?

I called Heyboer and they are researching it, but any help would be great.

Thanks!

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

These amps are notorious for eating their OT's....I've done several 2061X OT's. I always bought the new iron from Mojo...never a problem, always sounded great.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Which transformer blew? You really only need to replace that one, at least for the moment.

The output transformer is (much) more important to tone than the power transformer, so you can also economise on the PT without as adverse effects.

4. jmcerlain

Hi John,

I really appreciate your input .OK here's what happened. Playing it the other day both channels cranked, then it seemed to cut in and out then the volume dropped to almost nothing. I can still hear the guitar just no volume. I put in new tubes to test it and it was no different. So I get sound but no volume. I assume that it the OT, correct?

Mark,

Do you mean to say that you blew the Mojo transformers as well? Was it just a drop in replacement?

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

NO.....customers brought their dead 2061X amps to me for repair. I chose iron from Mojo for the [successful] repairs.

Were they drop-in? As I recall, yes....but I'd phone Mojo & ask them if I were you....

6. jmcerlain

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes, I think so. Just change that, no need to worry about the PT for now.

8. jmcerlain

Thanks, that will same me some money.

If Mojo is good, and I believe they are Heyboers I'll go with that and save about $187.

9. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

Are you sure to OT is dead? I'd hate to see you go to the expense of an OT replacement when all that was wrong was a burnt resistor or cold solder joint. If the OT is in bad order, the Mojo 18 watt OT (made by Heyboer) should be a good choice for replacement. If you want a Mercury, you should get a hold of Mickey at Soultone, he has both the 18 and 20 wattt versions (he gets them at the quantity prices).

MikeY

10. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Heyboer makes good stuff.

11. Swarty

Swarty Member

I have a Heyboer in one of my old 20s and have the same model in a '51 Deluxe. Have installed many in bigger amps. Great iron at a real fair price.

12. jmcerlain

Thanks guys, Heyboer called back and will make me a OT for $90. They said they have made them for other guys from one they reversed engineered so it will drop right in. It'll take 2 weeks and very nice guys.

teleamp, I'm going to have my tech take a look at it to make sure, but I explained the problem to him and he thinks that is what is most likely the problem. He has already encountered this before. But tnaks you and I'll have him check it all out before I actually get the tranny.

I also spoke with Korg USA and they were very helpful and cool about getting new ot's (both of them) as long as I go through a service center. I asked the tech if they have still been experiencing problems with these trannys and he said "I don't have any record of the 2061x's having a problem. I know we had a problem with the 1974x". I believe both amps have the same tranny correct? I do appreciate their service on this one, but I am going to go with someone else. After all it is well documented that this is a big problem with the line.

13. Liquid Sunshine

Liquid Sunshine Member

I replaced my OT with the newer one Marshall puts in there. It sounds bigger and gives more headroom. Mine was a long ordeal over two months going thru a service center who didn't fix it and then sent it to marshall direct in NY. Mitch Mitchell was superb thru it all and it's been running like a champ ever since. Any clips I have on youtube is with the older OT. It was covered under warranty and Mitch extended it.

14. jmcerlain

The unfortunate thing is that I already had the ot's replaced by Marshall. So these are the new ones. They worked for about a year, sounded great but I have lost confidence in the Dagnal's. I don't want to have to think about it at all. The first time around I sent it directly to Korg and had the amp back in a week. No complaints on my end in terms of service.

I think you mean Mitch Colby, Mitch Mitchell is a drummer for some guitar player who's name escapes me. :rolleyes:

15. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

That's true, but given the exact fault symptoms and how it was being run immediately before it died, my instinct from working on modern Marshalls is that there's a better than evens chance it's the OT.

Obviously, it's a good idea to check the tubes (preamp as well) first, and for any damaged components inside, but really on an amp this simple the precise fault - very quiet output... not no output, bad distortion or 'half' output - is very likely to be the OT.

16. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

yeah. right.