20th anniversary Shiva heads

Telefied

Oh and to add about highs. Right preamp tubes and you can smooth the highs out big time even with the KT88s. When I first turned the amp on I was really worried about the "glassy" high end iKT88s are famous for. I thought the amp would be "bright". Well I am using JJ Ecc83s in the V1 and PI and I NEED the bright switches on and the presence up pretty high to get the tone I want haha. The JJs darken the amp up and smooth out the highs so when you add them back in with the bright switches it sounds killer IMO.

RockStarNick

Silver Supporting Member
I keeping thinking "I need to try the swap" but then I fire up the amp and play and go "nahhh leave the KT88s in there this sounds bad ass!!!"

haha
Same here!

That happens to me a lot with ALL my gear. I'll be at work, letting my mind wander about swapping this or that, and then I get home and play it, and think "sh*t, this sounds perfect as-is."

RockStarNick

Silver Supporting Member
Oh and to add about highs. Right preamp tubes and you can smooth the highs out big time even with the KT88s. When I first turned the amp on I was really worried about the "glassy" high end iKT88s are famous for. I thought the amp would be "bright". Well I am using JJ Ecc83s in the V1 and PI and I NEED the bright switches on and the presence up pretty high to get the tone I want haha. The JJs darken the amp up and smooth out the highs so when you add them back in with the bright switches it sounds killer IMO.
I played the Shiva 20th KT88 next to a CAE PT100, and the Shiva did not seem "overly bright" at all next to it. Both had bite, but were balanced.

se7en

Unfortunately, I bought this amazing amp just in time for my band's break up, and haven't gigged since.

:facepalm
Sorry to hear...well, you still have a great amp to inspire you if nothing else. I couldn't warm up to the KT88's in my Twin Jet, but I could see how they serve the Shiva...since it's a more vintage sounding overdrive by nature.

Telefied

Do any of you have any clips in a band mix?
I am such a home player these days. Wife is always bugging me to go out and play with these toys I buy haha. I play out in a cover band a few times a year at work functions. We do multitrack and do a quick mix/master but the last party was with a different amp so no clips from me yet either.

se7en

I saw that...it's an older video...Jerry switched to a dual Marsha rig around 6 months or so ago. I think there might be (IIRC) a video from the Jimmy Kimmel show, where he is using the 20th Shiva with a Marsha.

Telefied

man I need to troll the forums more. Found a few threads in the last 6 months where Dave from Rack Sys chimes in himself and talks about the heads Jerry is using ahha. Thanks for the redirect se7en!

Alex_S

FACT: The "EL34 20th Shiva" is nothing more than a standard 20th Shiva with EL34s, instead of KT88s. No other parts are changed.

Hi Nick,

thanks a lot for that information. Very interesting to know (and I didn't expect this to be honest)! So we have the choice... Looking forward to hear how the sound changes with EL34s (I'm very happy with the KT88 so no need to change right now for me at least)

Thanks Alex

Telefied

Hi Nick,

thanks a lot for that information. Very interesting to know (and I didn't expect this to be honest)! So we have the choice... Looking forward to hear how the sound changes with EL34s (I'm very happy with the KT88 so no need to change right now for me at least)

Thanks Alex
Alex did you assume I was lying haha wow. I agree though the kt88s are good for now but cool we have a choice!

Alex_S

Alex did you assume I was lying haha wow. I agree though the kt88s are good for now but cool we have a choice!
??? No not at all, why do you think? Ah understand (re-read my posts): no, what I was curious about was if there is a difference between the rebiased KT88 or the "custom order" EL34. I had no doubt about your statement that the rebias does work. But I see why you asumed I thought that reading my comments. Sorry, I should have been more precise! My fault, sorry!

Ciao Alex

papersoul

Supporting Member
I will have a chance very soon to play a stock 20th Shiva back to back with an El34 20th Shiva. :)

RockStarNick

Silver Supporting Member
I will have a chance very soon to play a stock 20th Shiva back to back with an El34 20th Shiva. :)
Richie! Can't wait to hear your tonal report on this, because it will 100% be based on the tonal differences in tubes.

Very rare that you can truly do an "apples to apples" comparison in amps like this, with different tubes.

Telefied

NOT if you get it with EL34s. The EL34 20th is better than the KT88 version to my ears. Recently I was able to try both. Little thicker in the mids, smoother, not dry...and I think it is still better than the XTC. I still do not like the red channel on those amps, even the 20th, sorry. :(
To my ear, KT-88s = edgy highs, dry sounding, too glassy. Lacks the things I like...harmonically rich mids and smooth highs.

A friend had a new Bogner Twin Jet. did not like it. Replaced the KT88s and had it converted to EL34s. Like a whole new amp. Fixes those issues you mentioned. :)
Richie I am confused. Earlier in this thread you said "NOT if you get it with EL34s. The EL34 20th is better than the KT88 version to my ears. Recently I was able to try both." So you did not get to try both yet????

Last edited:

Smokin

I was scratching my head trying to make sense of this, too. First he says he has tried both and that 34's rock his world and later he says he'll have the opportunity to try them both soon...

papersoul

Supporting Member
Richie I am confused. Earlier in this thread you said "NOT if you get it with EL34s. The EL34 20th is better than the KT88 version to my ears. Recently I was able to try both." So you did not get to try both yet????
No, I tried the KT88 version at a friend's studio and I also tried it at a shop....but not next to an EL34 version. My buddy with the studio has too many amps to keep track of! LOL. Anyway, he said he would set it up with EL34s and I went back to his studio and played it......I prefered it over the KT88s in the same amp, BUT we all know how our ear's memory can be! You really need to compare side by side through the same cab.

Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, I am thinking by late July or no later than early September I will have a chance to play through a KT88 version, EL34 version, and one with EL34 and reverb at my buddy's shop in Jersey.

Trending Topics