• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

22/10 Updated: What would you do? Dealer passing off a used guitar as new.

crosse79

So here's the deal, I was looking for a LP and saw this one Wildwood LP from a dealer in a Gibson LP FB group. Says he bought the guitar from Wildwood directly as new - I asked him twice to confirm. The problem is the exact same guitar with the exact same serial number was sold about a month ago by a TGPer here.

The issue is he lied to me. Likely he bought from the TGPer and then now claim it as new - cause the TGPer was the original owner. However as per mentioned earlier he claims he bought it direct from Wildwood. I have taken pictures of the Sale thread here and also the conversation with the dealer for proof. He seems quite connected in the FB group.

Obviously I won't buy from him. Not sure if he's spinning the same story to other potential buyers. Beyond that? What would you do?

22/10 Update:
He has seen this thread -and suddenly his messages me and the story changes and claims now it's not new from Wildwood. Can't confront him directly - cause he blocked me on FB after that message - even before I confronted him on it. After all that has happened, he decided to put an ad in Reverb that shows the guitar as USED. It was quickly pulled down within the day but not before I took a photo.

Some of the evidence here now (except the private messages where he makes all the claims as that is not allowed in TGP). The reason for posting is so that people are aware. The dealer's name can be seen in the Reverb Ad.

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 4.17.15 PM.png Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 8.23.56 PM.png

Last edited:

muzishun

Imo any store that offers a return for any reason guarantee...

Sells used guitars as new!

How is a guitar that has been in a person's possession (how about 2 or three ppl) for 45 days, in his dirty house, on his lap while he goes poop, band practice, filthy pub, worse etc

Considered new!?

Yet we all ignore it because the risk free trial is too tempting and screw the next guy who buys it once your done dna'ing it.

Sorry tangent

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
No expert, but forum junkie question:

Does the seller still have the Gibson registration card for it? If he's an authentic Gibson dealer, maybe he [believes he] can sell it that way because it hasn't been officially registered with Gibson.

C-4

So here's the deal, I was looking for a LP and saw this one Wildwood LP from a dealer in a Gibson LP FB group. Says he bought the guitar from Wildwood directly as new - I asked him twice to confirm. The problem is the exact same guitar with the exact same serial number was sold about a month ago by a TGPer here. The price has been increased by USD 2K++ but that's not the issue for me. I can guess why he had to pass it off as new to be able to command that type of price.

The issue is he lied to me. Likely he bought from the TGPer and then now claim it as new - cause the TGPer was the original owner. However as per mentioned earlier he claims he bought it direct from Wildwood. I have taken pictures of the Sale thread here and also the conversation with the dealer for proof. He seems quite connected in the FB group.

Obviously I won't buy from him. Not sure if he's spinning the same story to other potential buyers. Beyond that? What would you do?
While my situation is not exactly as the OP's, SW tried to sell me a used guitar as a new one. Just one of a group of things that now stop me from supporting them.

crosse79

No expert, but forum junkie question:

Does the seller still have the Gibson registration card for it? If he's an authentic Gibson dealer, maybe he [believes he] can sell it that way because it hasn't been officially registered with Gibson.

Not sure about this - however he bought it from a private owner and told me he bought it from Wildwood and then misleads me by saying it's brand new. So 2 things, it's used and the source of the purchase is altered to make it look that it's indeed new.

Astronaut FX

I certainly don't condone that kind of dishonesty, assuming that the OP's story is true.

That being said, guitars are kind of a unique product. To be honest, the whole new versus used thing with guitars doesn't carry the same implications as it does with other types of products. Consider the following two scenarios:

Guitar number one - It's a new guitar, never been owned, hanging up on the wall in a Guitar Center. By the time you buy it, no less than 25 nasty assed, non-handwashing, ass scratching mouth breathers have drooled all over the thing. Yup, still new, but it's condition may very well reflect the abuse that I've described.

Guitar number two - Was purchased from a brick and mortar store on the exact day that they received it and put it on the showroom floor. It was purchased by the first customer to touch it. He then took it home and pretty much left it unplayed in the case for a couple of months. He then sold it to a forum member, who also played it for maybe a couple of hours at best, and completely babied it. He's now selling it second hand times two.

Two guitars, one considered new, the other considered used, and yet both may be in a very different overall condition that belies its new vs used status. To me, that's really the important distinction here.

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
Not with a guitar, but had a well known furniture chain (starts with Ash, and ends with ley) pull that crap with me. Was informed, in person, I couldn't get a refund. I became irate and pounded my fist on the counter. Had my refund in a few minutes. The problem with online mail order, you can usually only do a sternly worded email in UPPER CAPS! Hope it works out for you.

Whats4dessert

How often have you heard the term "previously owned" as a euphemism for "used?" If it's been previously owned, it's used. End of discussion.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
In the retail/re-seller business, any item that has been sold from the original dealer to another party is considered used. It has nothing to do with the condition, or whatever BS story they give you. I would steer clear just on the basis that the whole thing started out with dishonesty on the sellers part. There are many fish in the sea.

derek_is_eric

While my situation is not exactly as the OP's, SW tried to sell me a used guitar as a new one. Just one of a group of things that now stop me from supporting them.
Anymore details on that?

In the retail/re-seller business, any item that has been sold from the original dealer to another party is considered used. It has nothing to do with the condition, or whatever BS story they give you. I would steer clear just on the basis that the whole thing started out with dishonesty on the sellers part. There are many fish in the sea.
This.

jogogonne

Imo any store that offers a return for any reason guarantee...

Sells used guitars as new!

How is a guitar that has been in a person's possession (how about 2 or three ppl) for 45 days, in his dirty house, on his lap while he goes poop, band practice, filthy pub, worse etc

Considered new!?

Yet we all ignore it because the risk free trial is too tempting and screw the next guy who buys it once your done dna'ing it.

Sorry tangent

I was thinking the same thing...

Not only that, but a 'new' guitar that's sat in a store for 7 months and had who knows how many grubby, unwashed hands trying to mangle Cliffs of Dover on it.

I guess that's a new guitar... :p

It's not a problem for me, I've never bought a new guitar in my life.

Trending Topics