22 Caliber - Backup Amp or Main Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soundmuppet, Mar 15, 2013.

1. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Picked one up yesterday to throw in the gig bag/box for an emergency baackup. I run a Triaxis but have been looking for a backup in case I pop a tube mid gig.

Got it home and plugged it into a cab....blimey! it's loud and surprisingly clean too. I have a Palmer PDI that I then ran it into, and how I would use it at a show so I can go direct to FOH. Also a really quite astonishing result. I have a set of dirt and grit pedals on the pedal board for an emergency where I could just use a clean patch so this will all go together nicely.

At this point, I think we buy gear for us...because to be honest....I don't think the audience would notice if I used the 22 Caliber or the Triaxis!

Anyone using the 22 Cal. live as a main rig? At the price, you could buy two and have a great backup.

2. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

Good little backup I'd say~

3. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Most versatile Mesa ever, really great tones come out of that combo. Greenback speaker really helps over the stock speaker and like you found out thru a cab it really comes alive...

4. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

I think he's talking about the Electro Harmonics 22 Cal if it fits in yer gig bag.

5. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

That's the one.

6. GtarLover

GtarLover Member

I thought he was talking about the Mesa 22 Cal also. It is an amazing amp! I love it, even though it is being used as my keyboard amp right now...what a waste :bonk

7. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

They are pretty cool!

8. scolfax

scolfax Member

Same here. Wow, that was confusing!

9. slowhand66

slowhand66 Member

I used to have one as a back up. Cool little unit for the buck. Powered up my 4x12 with no problems, sounded decent with an OD pedal. I've seen where guys use it in a w/d rig as well.

10. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I have one I keep in the car add a backup along with a beat up crate power block.

11. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

Sorry about the confusion lads....totally spaced that Mesa had an amp with the same name.

I'm going to mount this thing onto a pedal train mini or nano board so that a changeover would be quick.

I tried it with a Radial Plexitube pedal in front of it....juicy! That was quite the combination for sure.